Pre-Order Thread

If your relationship to Wilco is the really just the music then it definitely shouldn't -- if you want, you'll get to listen to the same album that that person who also buys the $500 book gets to listen to.

Maybe an imperfect analogy, but... I recently tried to buy tickets for Elton John's farewell tour. Tickets were $250 to get in the door and sit in the nosebleeds, $450 to sit in the lower bowl and $1k+ to be on the floor. The tour is popular and he should be able to charge what he wants, more power to him. Its too rich for my blood but I'm not personally offended, and I don't think anyone can be all that surprised after Vegas residencies, other high-priced tours, the fact that this "farewell" tour seems to keep getting extended, etc. However, if Bruce Springsteen were to announce a farewell tour and charge the same, I would be stunned because that runs so antithetical to how he has managed his business and connected with his fans. It wouldn't change his music, but it may very well change the way that some people feel about their connection with his music.
My relationship to them isn't just the music, but I also don't feel the need to buy every vinyl variant of every record they have, especially a $500 one. Some people out there might want it and more power to them (though it seems based on their sales number so far that not many people want it). I tried to get tickets for my parents to Elton's tour too as a retirement gift to my dad and the ticket prices were equally crazy to what you said and I couldn't afford them, so I understand how frustrating that is. I just got Wilco tix and they were $70 bucks or so for orchestra seats at Radio City so that's more important to me than them making all their tour tickets $250 like Elton did.

Bruce Springsteen is a funny analogy because he actually did something worse IMO. He got a ton of flak because he did his broadway show in NY and the orchestra seats were $850 list price. And in resale, tickets sold for as much as $10,000. His show made over $100 million in 56 weeks on Broadway. None of his "blue collar" fan base could afford to go see the show.

Anyway, this isn't the first time Wilco has done an expensive item as others have mentioned.

They sold a $1,200 box set of 10 albums in a wood box.

Here's an almost $200 pennant.

They also sold a $500 branded axe.

People shouldn't be surprised. This doesn't make their interactions with fans any less genuine to me. It doesn't affect their music. It wouldn't make me not see them on tour. They can still make good music and sell ridiculous expensive merch from time to time. I personally don't think any less of them. It's all silly and overly expensive stuff to me, but I wouldn't judge anybody for buying any of it if they want.

edit: I'll also say, that while I think the $500 price tag is egregious, the guy who designed the entire book for them is a super talented graphic designer who likely charged a good amount of money to design the book and the price to print something like that was likely not cheap. I do not think this is an item that cost $20 to make that they are selling for $500.

Last edited:
this one's for you @Jonathan Y as the only connan mockasin fan i know on here haha

To be fair, he's the only one trying to get rid of an album. I've kept mine

Ayyyye! Appreciated! And @Dead C only cuz Mexican Summer sent me 2 of Jassbusters instead of 1 Jass and 1 Forever Dolphin Love

I think it's lasted because people see me in the rap hip hop threads all the time and assume my taste in other genres is skewed. IT'S KEWL GUYZ

Oh speaking of taste. This isn't for me but maybe for one of you lol New Iggy Azalea preorder

I
So I just realised its a MOV release limited to 3000 in this colour according to their site

I always use Juno Records for MOV releases. You can usually get them for under 30 dollars compared to other places.

Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies

@Sanders

Dan Luke and The Raid- Out of the Blue (New Artist to New West, single kind reminds of Interpol or the Strokes.

Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies

@Sanders

DAMMIT I'M POOR!! Ahhh, but it's Serj! I need it!

Looks like they're doing two presses for this again, one for the US and one for the UK. Since I have the original black one, I'll just get the US one. Thanks for the heads up! 😁

Austin dream pop/shoegaze band Blushing (first single/digital pre-order) is releasing their debut; blue/pink galaxy vinyl through Wallflower Records.
I likes this, pre-ordered. Looks like 34 left on the site.

This description alone should pique the interest of a certain few:

Bringing together their combined classic influences from bands like Lush, The Sundays, Cocteau Twins and My Bloody Valentine, they developed their unique sound as it is today.

I actually just cancelled $220 worth of preorders. I just needed to do that. Felt good. Cancelled my 2 Stereolab preorders (which I will still be buying), 2 Chance preorders (might snag Coloring Book still), the Crumb EP’s, and the Jeff Tweedy deluxe box.

Need to get back to buying records I NEED at a more deliberate pace. Fighting FOMO is hard as fuck. But no reason I can’t take a break and snag the Stereolab reissues in a month or so.

I actually just cancelled $220 worth of preorders. I just needed to do that. Felt good. Cancelled my 2 Stereolab preorders (which I will still be buying), 2 Chance preorders (might snag Coloring Book still), the Crumb EP’s, and the Jeff Tweedy deluxe box.

Need to get back to buying records I NEED at a more deliberate pace. Fighting FOMO is hard as fuck. But no reason I can’t take a break and snag the Stereolab reissues in a month or so.

I'm guessing those weren't the obi versions

Back