Pre-Order Thread

This is a DMM. What's important to know is that it actually contains the original track listing. Past vinyl issues substituted songs like "Spin Spin Sugar" and "6 Underground" with remixes. You couldn't find them on the album at all. You'd have to get an OG copy.

Anyway this is awesome. Classic album that was way better than just the big single that came from it.

This is a DMM. What's important to know is that it actually contains the original track listing. Past vinyl issues substituted songs like "Spin Spin Sugar" and "6 Underground" with remixes. You couldn't find them on the album at all. You'd have to get an OG copy.

Anyway this is awesome. Classic album that was way better than just the big single that came from it.
I preordered this on amazon in April. It says it has a release date of September 6th on Amazon now, so I assume it's the same one.

Curious question...why are you and others bothered by this? I get it if this was the only vinyl pressing of it...I'd be pissed too. But I'm not entirely sure why people are so up in arms about this one? I'm a huge Wilco fan. I'm looking forward to the new album and to see them on tour in the fall. I'm indifferent about the $500 version. If they sell it and it helps them financially, so be it. I'm sure the book cost a pretty penny to produce (although not $500 worth). The guy who designed the book is pretty awesome. I personally don't think it's screwing over their fans or anything but to each his/her own!

I hear you, I'm a little surprised at my reaction as well. I am all for artists getting paid for their work and if someone wants to pay big $$$ for an object that isn't valuable to me then by all means, be my guest and who am I to judge how you spend your money. I think my issue is that it is *this* band and a reaction to the kind of relationship they have cultivated with their fans over their (mainly Jeff's) career. This is the band that recorded three albums worth of music set to Woody Guthrie's lyrics (I wonder what Billy Bragg thinks about something like this) and cultivates their own music festival that seems to honestly try to connect people and artists and not just be a way to sell as much overpriced Heineken as their fans can stomach. I have close friends who have had incredibly meaningful personal interactions with the band over the years, and the last time I saw Jeff play was at a show in SF where he was publicly very emotional about the Brett Kavanaugh nomination. Their values and their art are very much intertwined, and I think that is part of what fosters a pretty deep connection for fans -- that (for me) being a Wilco fan is about more than just a customer buying a product that the band may be selling. Big picture, its probably a little dumb to let identity and emotion get so tied to a rock band, but isn't what part of what good art is trying to accomplish, to dig its way into you a little bit? So when I see this, it feels like more than just trying to provide a premium product option for those that may be interested and can afford it, but trading on (I want to say exploiting but that is probably too strong) that emotional investment in a way that isn't really justified by what they are offering back. That my very well just be good capitalism, but its not what I would have expected from Wilco. I don't know if that makes any sense and its probably not entirely fair to the band, but I just know that I don't like the way this feels on level that is more visceral than just "I think this thing they are selling is overpriced."

The pricing of the boxset reminds me of the Parks and Rec quote.

Eclipse, “a nightclub that’s only open for one hour two times a year — cover charge? $5,000.”

$500 just seems arbitrary to me. That's why we're all reacting to this a certain way. If it was a calculated price like $425 or $389.99, or something not on the dot, maybe there wouldn't be a fuss. I just think that someone must have asked "how much should we charge for this?" and someone blurted out "$500!" and they went with it. It feels like a cash grab because they can. If the price is justifiable then I'll retract my statement.

Last edited:
I don't know if I should put this here but for anyone with an Andrew W.K. itch, he's releasing new vinyl pressings of his albums The Wolf and I Get Wet tomorrow.

The Wolf I believe has never been pressed to vinyl before, whereas I Get Wet has, but it's somewhat pricey on Discogs. The lowest I've seen I Get Wet is around $65ish.

IMG_1030.jpgIMG_1031.jpg

Just curious, from a numbers perspective does anyone know what “Limited Edition” means to Sound of Vinyl?

So I just realised its a MOV release limited to 3000 in this colour according to their site

Blur - Live At The BBC

Features 4 tracks – Girls & Boys, Jubilee, Trouble In The Message Centre , Lot 105 – taken from a radio session with Mark Radcliffe recorded live at the BBC in Manchester on 7th March 1994, just weeks ahead of Parklife’s release on 25th April. The recordings have never previously been globally available.

Live At The BBC will be available on 10” vinyl and on all DSPs.

Side One:
Girls & Boys
Jubilee
Side Two:
Trouble In The Message Centre
Lot 105

I could see people being pissed if it was the only vinyl variant. But it certainly isn't going to ruin Wilco for me that they chose to sell this. Maybe I'm in the minority though on it.

If your relationship to Wilco is the really just the music then it definitely shouldn't -- if you want, you'll get to listen to the same album that that person who also buys the $500 book gets to listen to.

Maybe an imperfect analogy, but... I recently tried to buy tickets for Elton John's farewell tour. Tickets were $250 to get in the door and sit in the nosebleeds, $450 to sit in the lower bowl and $1k+ to be on the floor. The tour is popular and he should be able to charge what he wants, more power to him. Its too rich for my blood but I'm not personally offended, and I don't think anyone can be all that surprised after Vegas residencies, other high-priced tours, the fact that this "farewell" tour seems to keep getting extended, etc. However, if Bruce Springsteen were to announce a farewell tour and charge the same, I would be stunned because that runs so antithetical to how he has managed his business and connected with his fans. It wouldn't change his music, but it may very well change the way that some people feel about their connection with his music.

Back