Portland / Oregon

Hey PDX team! I was just in your city over the Labor Day long weekend with my girlfriend to catch The National at Edgefield. Forgot to touch base earlier to potentially say hello to some of you who may have also been heading there, but we ended up busy most of our days there.

I've been to Portland before (and I'll be back in October for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo!), but I had an awesome time showing my partner around town. Her mind was blown by Powell's.......seeing a 1st edition of "The Wasteland" by TS Eliot likely did her in....but we're both foddies so we naturally had our pick of amazing places to eat.

Anyways, just wanted to say that you guys have an awesome city. I love it every time I come to visit.

Hahaha, for real. What are you up to, @hatfieldpdx?

How does @Matt M win tickets to a show each and every week? I need to know your secret (hopefully not facebook, as I ditched that years ago). I would love to join you both, but we just moved across town, I have been out the past two nights, and am headed out on a work trip on Sunday. In other words, I probably need to catch my breath. Of course, I may change my mind tomorrow, but please don’t hold a ticket for me if you have another taker.

Last edited:
How does @Matt M win tickets to a show each and every week? I need to know your secret (hopefully not facebook, as I ditched that years ago). I would love to join you both, but we just moved across town I have been out the past two nights, and am headed out on a work trip on Sunday. In other words, I probably need to catch my breath. Of course, I may change my mind tomorrow, but please don’t hold a ticket for me if you have another taker.
I just sign up for everything! Seems to go in streaks. Was hoping to win Bon Iver tickets the other nought, but no luck.

OK, any Portland area peeps going to any of these shows? October in Portland is nuts! Let's catch up!

Oct 5th - Daniel Norgren
Oct 8th - Nick Cave
Oct 9th - Hiss Golden Messenger
Oct 13th - Stereolab
Oct 19th - Black Pumas/Neal Francis
Oct 23rd - Caamp
Oct 27th - Whitney
Nov 3rd - Sloan

OK, any Portland area peeps going to any of these shows? October in Portland is nuts! Let's catch up!

Oct 5th - Daniel Norgren
Oct 8th - Nick Cave
Oct 9th - Hiss Golden Messenger
Oct 13th - Stereolab
Oct 19th - Black Pumas/Neal Francis
Oct 23rd - Caamp
Oct 27th - Whitney
Nov 3rd - Sloan

Norgren
Black Pumas

also:
Paul Cauthen
The Delines
Joel Ross
Built to Spill

good month!

The AVClub did a writeup of a new reissue of Ernest Hood's field recording / ambient album Neighborhoods. I'm not familiar and the review was my first exposure, but there's two tracks on Spotify.

The recordings consist of a lot of neighborhood chatter and everyday sounds; it's very quaint, and actually was recorded in Portland! Furthermore, Hood was a cofounder of MF-ing KBOO (where I'm hoping to start volunteering after the busy-ness of the holidays)!

Here's the page for the reissue:

The AVClub did a writeup of a new reissue of Ernest Hood's field recording / ambient album Neighborhoods. I'm not familiar and the review was my first exposure, but there's two tracks on Spotify.

The recordings consist of a lot of neighborhood chatter and everyday sounds; it's very quaint, and actually was recorded in Portland! Furthermore, Hood was a cofounder of MF-ing KBOO (where I'm hoping to start volunteering after the busy-ness of the holidays)!

Here's the page for the reissue:
Cool! Thanks!

Hey all!

I’m going to be down in PDX on Tuesday or Wednesday this week and am looking for some recommendations for things to do/best record shops to visit. Also best vegetarian restaurants to visit too if you’ve got ‘em. Thanks!

Hey all!

I’m going to be down in PDX on Tuesday or Wednesday this week and am looking for some recommendations for things to do/best record shops to visit. Also best vegetarian restaurants to visit too if you’ve got ‘em. Thanks!
Modern Times has great beer and vegan food, but most places I go have vegetarian options.

I like Jackpot Records and Music Millennium.

Modern Times has great beer and vegan food, but most places I go have vegetarian options.

I like Jackpot Records and Music Millennium.
ooooh Modern Times menu looks awesome. I know there's a bunch of stores in Portland so that's helpful I'll check those out - thank you! :)

ooooh Modern Times menu looks awesome. I know there's a bunch of stores in Portland so that's helpful I'll check those out - thank you! :)

Any of those record stores will have a Portland Record Store Map, for free. Usually at the counter. Pick it up, visit everyone you are near! I've always had great luck at Jackpot, at both locations.

Back