PopTarts Unite!

cross-posted from New Music Friday thread (about Dua Lipa’s Radical Optimism):

I think “Illusion” might be the best song she’s ever put out, edging out “Don’t Start Now”. “Falling Forever” feels like her first attempt to really throw her hat in the vocal powerhouse ring. I feel like the rest of the songs aren’t quite as catchy as the singles from Future Nostalgia but it feels like they show off her voice better and feel like a more natural fit for the type of pop star and person that she seems to be (or maybe that’s just me projecting and it all just sits better with me, haha). Maybe it’s just me, but there were some songs on Future Nostalgia where she was like rapping or had a lot of petty attitude that just didn’t seem to mesh with the way she acted in interviews - Radical Optimism feels a little more connected to that person.

Edit: I should note that “Physical” is also a banger, and is one of the few tracks on Future Nostalgia that has a chorus (and bridge) that lives up the hype built up by the verses. But yeah, overall Radical Optimism feels more like she’s having fun and less like she’s putting on a popstar costume.

I think “Illusion” might be the best song she’s ever put out, edging out “Don’t Start Now”. “Falling Forever” feels like her first attempt to really throw her hat in the vocal powerhouse ring. I feel like the rest of the songs aren’t quite as catchy as the singles from Future Nostalgia but it feels like they show off her voice better and feel like a more natural fit for the type of pop star and person that she seems to be (or maybe that’s just me projecting and it all just sits better with me, haha). Maybe it’s just me, but there were some songs on Future Nostalgia where she was like rapping or had a lot of petty attitude that just didn’t seem to mesh with the way she acted in interviews - Radical Optimism feels a little more connected to that person.

Edit: I should note that “Physical” is also a banger, and is one of the few tracks on Future Nostalgia that has a chorus (and bridge) that lives up the hype built up by the verses. But yeah, overall Radical Optimism feels more like she’s having fun and less like she’s putting on a popstar costume.
I like it so far. Maybe not as much as Future Nostalgia, but that's a high bar for me.

I got the deluxe vinyl edition, which has an autographed insert, but the outer sleeve is severely crumpled. I wrote in to ask for a replacement and they said that they are currently deciding what to do. Judging from the photo on discogs, I think a lot of people had the same problem.

This is what mine looks like with the sleeve on.

IMG_5614.jpeg

I actually am someone who missed the original hype for Dua Lipa, so coming into Radical Optimism I didn't have all this weight of expectations. I like it quite a bit, and obviously a bit more than so many people online it seems. I think it's a tight, breezy collection of really good pop songs. It has an overall summer-y kind of vibe that I really love to hear with this kind of music. I don't know, it's just doing it for me. Also yes Illusion is an amazing track.

But hey you can't really trust me as I'm also someone who likes Solar Power by Lorde. A lot of people are comparing this to that in terms of it just feeling lacking or something. But to me...hey, two good summer albums.

My positive for Radical Optimism is that I like it enough to listen to it multiple times already. I rarely do that. Sometimes my favorite albums of the year hardly get any plays, even though I love them.

I have a few negatives though. I really like the "extended" versions of the three singles so far better than the album versions. It just allows the songs to breathe a little more. There's a rumor that there's probably going to be a longer version coming at some point. Also, speaking of longer, my favorite track on Radical Optimism so far is probably "Anything For Love" but it's so short, it feels like it's just about to get going when it ends.

My other issue with the album were Dua's comments ahead of release about how the album was inspired by bands like Primal Scream and brit-pop in general. I don't hear any of those influences here.

Minor nit-picks though, because I do enjoy it overall.

My positive for Radical Optimism is that I like it enough to listen to it multiple times already. I rarely do that. Sometimes my favorite albums of the year hardly get any plays, even though I love them.

I have a few negatives though. I really like the "extended" versions of the three singles so far better than the album versions. It just allows the songs to breathe a little more. There's a rumor that there's probably going to be a longer version coming at some point. Also, speaking of longer, my favorite track on Radical Optimism so far is probably "Anything For Love" but it's so short, it feels like it's just about to get going when it ends.

My other issue with the album were Dua's comments ahead of release about how the album was inspired by bands like Primal Scream and brit-pop in general. I don't hear any of those influences here.

Minor nit-picks though, because I do enjoy it overall.

Agree with you on “Anything For Love!” Would love an extended version of this. I think with how short it is, it would have only made sense if they had it as a great opening track for the album, but where it’s placed now just feels like a tease.

I’m not understanding the negative reviews for this record. I’ve been really enjoying it and yeah, it may not be Future Nostalgic but I don’t need it to be. But what do I know, I’m one of the idiots who’s enjoying the new Taylor Swift album and I’ve been told that’s wrong, too.

Back