Political Discussion

Uh oh. This could get ugly on the world stage is this comes to reality.
Russia doesn't want to get into the quagmire that is the Ukraine. This is all positioning because they don't want an expansion of NATO to their borders. They are going to try everything they can to handle this diplomatically. Russia would rather let the Ukraine tear itself apart and then when it inevitably needs to be rebuilt and stabilized, that's when Putin is looking to step in and help.

Good read on how corporate consolidation has eliminated competition.

So while it's true that costs have gone up, corporations are not only able pass on 100% of their increases to consumers, they are passing on excess costs as well. Usually if a company is charging to much, a competitor would have a lower price and it would errode at the excess profits a company is charging causing a price correction. But with so few companies after corporate consolidations, companies / competitors are raising prices together like the pharmaceutical industry does.

They say this is how the free market works, but I call it collusion and greed.

Oh, and who would have ever guessed that had record profits last year.

The most essential thing we cultivated in America was the peaceful transfer of power via democratic vote. To undermine that is sedition and treason at the most fundamental level. It all seems so short sighted. What does that end game really look like? A tyrannical dictator with a relatively small pyramid scheme of profit and power beneath him. Like, that arrangement is threatening to a corporate oligarchy. I just don't see it going down well for really anyone for very long. I won't be surprised to see it happen, though.

Oh, and who would have ever guessed that had record profits last year.
I don't know what's more amazing, companies who have been bragging about this while condemning better working conditions and pay, or how many people don't see what's really been going on. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I don't know what's more amazing, companies who have been bragging about this while condemning better working conditions and pay, or how many people don't see what's really been going on. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I think it goes beyond ignorance at this stage. There’s been a divisive rhetoric in society for the last 40 years where the working/lower middle classes have been systematically divided to be conquered.

The narratives surrounding the poor are so toxic as to it almost being the case that the mildly better off view them with a contempt that makes out that they deserve their situations. I see this most starkly in the ideas you often see surrounding benefits debates and the idea that it’s “free money” and that “they’d only spend it on drugs/booze/fags anyway”.

As expected, the voting rights bill did not pass the Senate with Both Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema joining in with Republicans for a no vote for eliminating the filibuster.

Their argument is if they eliminate the filibuster the Republicans will do the same next time they are in control and ban abortions.

However, political science people saying that's just an excuse. The Republicans come to the fight with an axe while the Democrats come with a butter knife. If the Republicans want to do something they will do it and not look back. It's just as likely that the Democrats not eliminate the filibuster and do not pass the voting rights act only to have the Republicans eliminate the filibuster once they are in control on a issue they are making a stand on.

We can't play by the rules and morals of if we don't do it they won't.

Meanwhile, states continue their assaults on voting rights and placing more restrictions.

The Republicans come to the fight with an axe while the Democrats come with a butter knife.
I assume you're referring to this op-ed?
First, President Biden must show his strength as a leader. The American people have little respect or patience for a weak leader, but they will support and stand with a strong one. Extreme Trump loyalists have been gutting voting rights with an ax, while Democrats have tried to defend them with a butter knife.
I don't disagree with the analogy but FWIW Reginald Jackson isn't a political scientist.

I didn't realize this was part of The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, but to address driver shortages 18 year olds can now drive semi trucks on interstates and across federal lines.

Previously you had to be 21 with the local exceptions such as for farm use within the same state.

I'm not sure how I feel about lowering the age for the soul purpose of addressing driver shortages. If there are driver shortages there are other issues that need to be figured out. It's not just let's let younger people drive.

Was reading this article & my immediate thought is it's insane something like this can happen, why would you allow people to own guns, never mind let people play with guns in built up areas. I don't mean any offence but I think a lot of UK people's feeling is US gun policy is crazy. Obviously we have a very different culture and don't really understand the American culture when it comes to guns. (I thought I know a whole bunch of Americans on N&G who can help me understand). What's the general reaction from an American? What do people think about gun ownership in America?

Was reading this article & my immediate thought is it's insane something like this can happen, why would you allow people to own guns, never mind let people play with guns in built up areas. I don't mean any offence but I think a lot of UK people's feeling is US gun policy is crazy. Obviously we have a very different culture and don't really understand the American culture when it comes to guns. (I thought I know a whole bunch of Americans on N&G who can help me understand). What's the general reaction from an American? What do people think about gun ownership in America?

Guns are one of those things that's tied up in the mythos of America. We conquered the west with guns. We broke away from England with guns. While guns aren't necessary for life in a rural community--a life ranching or farming, guns are a tool that many rural people (ranchers especially) say they could barely do without. In these communities, responsible gun ownership is prized and children are taught gun safety at very early ages. And it's normally this group of people--rural, responsible gun owners--that the NRA and other pro gun groups point to when making the claim that Americans need guns. The other thing many pro-gun people will talk about is that given the insane volume of guns in America right now, the only people you would be taking them from are law abiding citizens, because criminals don't care about having illegal guns. Thus, you would be arming the criminals while leaving law abiding citizens no way to protect themselves. And it's this second argument, the argument that if criminals have guns, I need one for protection, that I think, is currently suppressing and anti-gun sentiment over here on this side of the pond. Legal gun ownership has gone up significantly since the pandemic with women arming themselves at a much higher rate than ever before. It's this nervousness in the zeitgeist, or maybe the very real rises in violent crimes since the beginning of the pandemic, that has kept guns from even being talked about. We should be going nuts over the fact that a foreign national was able to purchase a gun over here, but we aren't and probably won't do anything because people are genuinely concerned about the amount of tension and think that the best idea is to arm themselves.

Back