Political Discussion

I kept reading for the part where the SS advice is worthless too because that fund will be exhausted for us but you never delivered.

Well, there is that. Sadly I doubt this will ever be an issue for me. And the article never touches on that. It's more based on what decisions / rules you should follow today.

I heard a report today on the power of disinformation.

Today is January 6th, and one year later after the capital riots more people believe that the 2020 election was stolen today than did 1 year ago. And I find this factoid just mind boggling and can't wrap my head around it.

But apparently there is a lot of misinformation out there and people who read it take it for fact. And the trust in our system continues to decline. I have a bad feeling that ugly elections are going to be more common in the future.

What is Lindsey Graham smoking?

After President Biden gave a speech today about the events one year ago, this is how Lindsey Graham responds.

I really haven't been following the news that much, but I did hear there were protests over rising fuel prices.

Can someone sum up what is going on here. Is this a case of the government not allowing protests / protesters to shut down the economy or is there any truth behind the claims that the protests are organize terrorism from foreign countries.

Either way, I don't agree with whoot to kill without warning on protesters.

I really haven't been following the news that much, but I did hear there were protests over rising fuel prices.

Can someone sum up what is going on here. Is this a case of the government not allowing protests / protesters to shut down the economy or is there any truth behind the claims that the protests are organize terrorism from foreign countries.

Either way, I don't agree with whoot to kill without warning on protesters.
This sums it up quite well

The Biden administration continues to fall short on student loan relief. And late last year, has allowed the Trump Administration's repeal of bans on federal student loans being used for predatory for profit schools while they write new rules that will take at least a year if not longer to go into effect if they ever even do go into effect.

The Biden Administration's focus also appears to be on preventing future student loan debt issues and not be resolving current ones.

Other than the 115,000 people defrauded by ITT Technical Institute, no other student loan debt has been forgiven. Instead the focus appears to be on not giving out future federal student loans based on gainful employment. Meaning, it only targets blocking federal student loans from being used on expensive predatory schools that don't yield high salary jobs able to pay back the student loans after graduation.

The GOP's assault on voting rights continues with 3 states looking to require hand counting of all ballots, an antiquated and time consuming process. More states are likely to follow.

There is no reason to require hand counting of ballots, and hand counting ballots would actually result in a higher likelihood of errors happening with the vote.

But since hand counting takes time. And more time to count the results in a day and age were people expect instant / same day results will only help the GOP sow doubt in the election results. Meaning this could be used as a tool for challenging the results of an election that is favorable to them.

The GOP's assault on voting rights continues with 3 states looking to require hand counting of all ballots, an antiquated and time consuming process. More states are likely to follow.

There is no reason to require hand counting of ballots, and hand counting ballots would actually result in a higher likelihood of errors happening with the vote.

But since hand counting takes time. And more time to count the results in a day and age were people expect instant / same day results will only help the GOP sow doubt in the election results. Meaning this could be used as a tool for challenging the results of an election that is favorable to them.
I have to admit I am a Fan of zhe hand counting. We do it this old-fashioned way over here with paper ballots and hancounting and no election Maschinen.it works fine, you have a pqper Trail for recounts and normally results are in sometime during election night.

The Biden administration continues to fall short on student loan relief. And late last year, has allowed the Trump Administration's repeal of bans on federal student loans being used for predatory for profit schools while they write new rules that will take at least a year if not longer to go into effect if they ever even do go into effect.

The Biden Administration's focus also appears to be on preventing future student loan debt issues and not be resolving current ones.

Other than the 115,000 people defrauded by ITT Technical Institute, no other student loan debt has been forgiven. Instead the focus appears to be on not giving out future federal student loans based on gainful employment. Meaning, it only targets blocking federal student loans from being used on expensive predatory schools that don't yield high salary jobs able to pay back the student loans after graduation.
If Biden sets off a debt jubilee in one area, our corporate oligarchy is going to get really nervous. Remember, nothing fundamental was going to change, and that includes highly lucrative interest payments. Banks cannot take part in the stock market so they have to find other ways of creating revenue that has the same level of financial engineering as the stock market. They figured out that if they take housing prices out of inflationary indexes, and then give cheap credit at low interest rates as to drive up the cost of real estate as an asset class, they can collect more interest payments on inflated real estate while padding their books with risky investments. They realized that they could also exploit students in a similar way. Keep inflating the price of college to make people borrow more and more and more, so that they would continue to collect interest payments month after month. To suddenly reverse course and allow those payments to go unmade, and those people who were poised to collect interest payments will no longer get paid. Those people are the people that pour dark money into political campaigns in order to pay off our politicians. So these people cannot be expected to just take the loss, because what sort of precedent would that set in our society? We would have to admit that our free market needs a lot of regulation and some redistribution in order to work for most of the people. And that sort of redistribution would do away with these billionaires, so that can't happen.

If Biden sets off a debt jubilee in one area, our corporate oligarchy is going to get really nervous. Remember, nothing fundamental was going to change, and that includes highly lucrative interest payments. Banks cannot take part in the stock market so they have to find other ways of creating revenue that has the same level of financial engineering as the stock market. They figured out that if they take housing prices out of inflationary indexes, and then give cheap credit at low interest rates as to drive up the cost of real estate as an asset class, they can collect more interest payments on inflated real estate while padding their books with risky investments. They realized that they could also exploit students in a similar way. Keep inflating the price of college to make people borrow more and more and more, so that they would continue to collect interest payments month after month. To suddenly reverse course and allow those payments to go unmade, and those people who were poised to collect interest payments will no longer get paid. Those people are the people that pour dark money into political campaigns in order to pay off our politicians. So these people cannot be expected to just take the loss, because what sort of precedent would that set in our society? We would have to admit that our free market needs a lot of regulation and some redistribution in order to work for most of the people. And that sort of redistribution would do away with these billionaires, so that can't happen.

That of course assumes the debt goes unpaid. I don't see that happening, like every. I think a bailout is needed like the government did for the big banks and auto plants during the recession a decade ago. That's the only way we'll see things get done.

Speaking of the cost of education. Here is a news story from today about antitrust and price fixing to limit financial aid by major US universities.

That of course assumes the debt goes unpaid. I don't see that happening, like every. I think a bailout is needed like the government did for the big banks and auto plants during the recession a decade ago. That's the only way we'll see things get done.

Speaking of the cost of education. Here is a news story from today about antitrust and price fixing to limit financial aid by major US universities.

How many times are we going to use government dollars to bail out private companies and individuals who created a risky and leveraged market where they made mind boggling profits before defaulting due to bad business decisions? When are we going to stop paying these people to ruin our society?

How many times are we going to use government dollars to bail out private companies and individuals who created a risky and leveraged market where they made mind boggling profits before defaulting due to bad business decisions? When are we going to stop paying these people to ruin our society?
When these people stop paying the people who make these decisions. Until it's illegal for businesses and institutions to give kick backs and favours to politicians, they'll be filling each other's coffers until the world burns.

Not to mention that not bailing out the said businesses negatively impacts the economy and shareholders. So we can't have that. But we don't care to help or bail out private citizens.

One thing that pissed me off last year was Texas bailed out the power companies who lost billions of dollars when the Texas power grid nearly collapsed last winter during the cold spell. The power companies had a huge loss with their fixed rate customers who were heating their homes because the cost of power jumped by more than 2400% at one point. Meanile, the average poor joe who took a chance on the paying the going rate in hopes of saving a few bucks ended up with multi thousand dollar electric bills. And they were just told tough luck, that's the risk you took by not having a fixed rate plan...

I heard a report today on the power of disinformation.

Today is January 6th, and one year later after the capital riots more people believe that the 2020 election was stolen today than did 1 year ago. And I find this factoid just mind boggling and can't wrap my head around it.

But apparently there is a lot of misinformation out there and people who read it take it for fact. And the trust in our system continues to decline. I have a bad feeling that ugly elections are going to be more common in the future.
Slow descent into facism

So today has been a spectacular clusterfuck of a day even by bojo’s Tory Party’s startlingly inept standards.

First, their COVID contract VIP lane, under which they justified handing out contracts their mates and donors was found illegal by the High Court

Second, bojo finally admitted to being at the Downing Street garden booze up in May 2020 when most of the country was still in the strictest lockdown and the death rates were still high.

So today has been a spectacular clusterfuck of a day even by bojo’s Tory Party’s startlingly inept standards.

First, their COVID contract VIP lane, under which they justified handing out contracts their mates and donors was found illegal by the High Court

Second, bojo finally admitted to being at the Downing Street garden booze up in May 2020 when most of the country was still in the strictest lockdown and the death rates were still high.

Look at your politicians acting all American. Giving out illegal contracts to friends our national past time.

We had similar issues with the CARES Act and it was found that a large portion of that money didn't go where it was supposed to. However, we shy away from saying that the awarding of money and contracts is illegal even though it was totally rigged and illegal.

ETA: Oh wow, this quote:
The judgment noted that gowns supplied by PestFix were deemed unsuitable for use in an NHS clinical setting. PestFix-supplied FFP2 masks were also found to be unsuitable for use in the NHS while its FFP3 masks failed testing and there were issues with the gowns. There are ongoing commercial disputes with PestFix with respect to the FFP3 masks and the gowns.

We were dealing with this with the VARES system that was supposed to be set up by Deloitte for the CDC to track vaccine stuff. It still doesn't work and we poured millions of dollars into it.

Look at your politicians acting all American. Giving out illegal contracts to friends our national past time.

We had similar issues with the CARES Act and it was found that a large portion of that money didn't go where it was supposed to. However, we shy away from saying that the awarding of money and contracts is illegal even though it was totally rigged and illegal.

ETA: Oh wow, this quote:
The judgment noted that gowns supplied by PestFix were deemed unsuitable for use in an NHS clinical setting. PestFix-supplied FFP2 masks were also found to be unsuitable for use in the NHS while its FFP3 masks failed testing and there were issues with the gowns. There are ongoing commercial disputes with PestFix with respect to the FFP3 masks and the gowns.

We were dealing with this with the VARES system that was supposed to be set up by Deloitte for the CDC to track vaccine stuff. It still doesn't work and we poured millions of dollars into it.

It’s been rampant in the UK for centuries too. I’m sure it’s learned behaviours given from where you’re country has grown. The public school and oxbridge boys club is such a blight.

But yes, Converative ethos is killing the NHS. So much that used to be done in house has been sub-contracted out based solely on the bottom line. It has led to cost savings but it has also led to a spectacular decline in the quality of the support services and you know areas like cleaners and catering are pretty fucking important in a hospital setting. The fact that they’re giving the jobs out to mates and donors is just insult added to that injury.

Back