Political Discussion

Capitalism sucks major donkey balls.

Unilever is cutting 1,500 management jobs around the world as the consumer goods giant comes under intense pressure from shareholders to boost growth.

And all because of the stock market:

Shareholders have ratcheted up the pressure on Unilever after its stock sank 10% last year. The firm's shares got hammered last week after the company revealed it had made three failed bids to acquire GlaxoSmithKline's consumer health care business. Unilever said Thursday that it would not raise its rejected £50 billion ($68 billion) offer, and the stock subsequently bounced back.

Meanwhile, I saw them called out on Twitter earlier this week for raising their prices, record profits and executive bonuses. Not to mention stock buyback was up.

Posting here because this is more about the political divide in America than the pandemic itself.

I found this a fascinating read. And as the pandemic continues on conservatives are only digging in deeper and fighting any kind of government precautions. They are using it to booster their careers and it will likely be future talking points for elections.

This is big news. And hopefully it will give Biden the chance to replace a liberal justice with another liberal justice before republicans take back control and can appoint another conservative.

Though I expect Republicans will not make this easy. Based on passed comments by good ol' Mitch McConnell, we can expect them to filibuster and block any nomination of a "liberal justice" with them only voting to confirm a moderate.

I wonder how far the GOP's powerplay will go with this one. And what types of games we can expect to see.

This is big news. And hopefully it will give Biden the chance to replace a liberal justice with another liberal justice before republicans take back control and can appoint another conservative.

Though I expect Republicans will not make this easy. Based on passed comments by good ol' Mitch McConnell, we can expect them to filibuster and block any nomination of a "liberal justice" with them only voting to confirm a moderate.

I wonder how far the GOP's powerplay will go with this one. And what types of games we can expect to see.
I need the eye roll emoji for this. The amount of Congressional shenanigans will be off the chain.

I need the eye roll emoji for this. The amount of Congressional shenanigans will be off the chain.
The "revenge for Kavanaugh" knives will be out. This was promised long ago.

Schumer wants a quick timeline to confirm a Supreme Court pick. Similar to what the Republicans did for Amy Coney Barrett.

Schumer also plans to the change to Filibuster Rules that Republicans Used back in 2017 that will allow a simple majority, a vote down party lines to advance a Supreme Court Nominee.

So that makes me wonder, how will Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinama respond to this. Will they be a note vote without any Republican support?

This morning multiple newspapers had editorials about how the SCOTUS nomination process may further divide our nation.

It's going to be ugly and probably the last thing America needs right now. But it's going to happen and expect character assassinations.

Republicans are going to obstruct any liberal justice nomination. And there base is going to back them.

The only path forward to confirming Biden's nominee is using the same change to the filibuster rule the republicans used in 2017 to push a confirmation through with a simple majority. And this will anger republicans and their base and they will be out for blood and vengeance if we do this because they see themselves at the only legitimate party and a liberal justice on the court "could spell doom to our democracy".

The big wildcard is with Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema. Will they break with party and vote with Republicans like they have with the budget bill, infrastructure bill and changes to the filibuster?

If we don't' get their vote, we could end up going 3 years without a confirmation. A total failure for democrats.

This morning multiple newspapers had editorials about how the SCOTUS nomination process may further divide our nation.

It's going to be ugly and probably the last thing America needs right now. But it's going to happen and expect character assassinations.

Republicans are going to obstruct any liberal justice nomination. And there base is going to back them.

The only path forward to confirming Biden's nominee is using the same change to the filibuster rule the republicans used in 2017 to push a confirmation through with a simple majority. And this will anger republicans and their base and they will be out for blood and vengeance if we do this because they see themselves at the only legitimate party and a liberal justice on the court "could spell doom to our democracy".

The big wildcard is with Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema. Will they break with party and vote with Republicans like they have with the budget bill, infrastructure bill and changes to the filibuster?

If we don't' get their vote, we could end up going 3 years without a confirmation. A total failure for democrats.
most likely before republicans have to do anything moderate and liberal dems will argue an fuss over the right strategy an never get a nomination going

I'm by no means a supporter of the "freedom convoy" but I find it pretty convenient that our Prime Minister just happens to have faced an "exposure" to Covid right before the protesting truckers get to town...

I'm by no means a supporter of the "freedom convoy" but I find it pretty convenient that our Prime Minister just happens to have faced an "exposure" to Covid right before the protesting truckers get to town...

Two weeks ago one of the people in my small office was in contact with two people who tested positive, last week my wife was in close contact with someone who tested positive (and was exhibiting symptoms), this week another person in my small office was in close contact with two people who tested positive and is currently out sick (so far negative, though) and one other person in my small office also got similar news from a friend they hang out with regularly.

I say all this to articulate that it would be crazy to have NOT come in contact with someone at this point, especially if your job is to meet with people, different people, every day.

Also, I can't freakin' believe I've yet to catch this thing.

t1jVOl1.gif

So, no nominee has been put forward as of yet.

But FOX News and conservatives are already latching on and and digging in over Biden's plans to nominate a black woman.

Fox anchor: 'What kind of qualification is that, being a Black woman?'​

This is already getting ugly. Dog whistles are sounding and racism is coming into play.

It also seems the strategy will be to paint the black women and an extreme leftist and not aligned with the majority of American Culture. This sadly is all to easy of an target for them to do this, as for many Republicans Black Americans are already viewed as "something other" than "regular americans".

But FOX News and conservatives are already latching on and and digging in over Biden's plans to nominate a black woman.

This is already getting ugly. Dog whistles are sounding and racism is coming into play.

It also seems the strategy will be to paint the black women and an extreme leftist and not aligned with the majority of American Culture. This sadly is all to easy of an target for them to do this, as for many Republicans Black Americans are already viewed as "something other" than "regular americans".

Don't know how you maintain the energy to dissect modern political discourse every day.

I have said it before but I think the left needs a prominent troll to just stomp around and not give any fucks. Someone to stand up and be a liberal version of MGT and just say dumb outrageous shit so that the "real" suggestions later sound sane and Fox News and whatever other propaganda arms the right stands up to shoot their bullshit around just spends all it's time on suggestions. Fuckin' Oprah for the Supreme Court. Justice Michelle Obama. Fuck it, go full troll and put up pop stars for it. Cardi B, Justice WAP, someone who speaks to the real values of the common woman.

They're gonna go full on dogwhistle racist on no matter who it is, so fuck it. No one on the right gets to complain about shit after Mr I Like Beer Crying on TV and Miss I-have-never-been-in-a-court Barrett.

Yup, healthcare sucks and we have long wait times here in America.

I just had to reschedule my doctors appointment.

I got the reminder that I have a Dentist appointment on Feb 1st and 12:00pm last week.

Today I get the call reminding me I have a doctors appointment on Feb 1st at 12:50pm. That is tight, but usually my doctors office is less than a mile down the road so it's doable. But when they called to remind me about the appointment, apparently my doctors office is still closed for renovations (it's been more than a year) and my appointment with my doctor would be a half hour drive away.

So I rescheduled and the earliest they can get me back in to reschedule the appointment is 3 months out :oops:.

Now that I think about that, that might have been a bad idea to reschedule. I need to see my doctor to get my prescriptions renewed. Hopefully she will extend them for 3 months for me without needing to see her. In the past, she required a doctors visit.

Now that I think about that, that might have been a bad idea to reschedule. I need to see my doctor to get my prescriptions renewed. Hopefully she will extend them for 3 months for me without needing to see her. In the past, she required a doctors visit.
Call the office and explain that the only appointment you can get is 3 months out but you need refills. I've done this several times because it's been impossible to get an appointment here too.

Back