Political Discussion

Looks like for at least 3 democrats they had enough and couldn't continue hiding away in DC any longer. The voter suppression bill will now pass as they have a quorum.

Oh look! In case anyone needed any more evidence that the United Nations is a joke, with the Taliban likely to be recognized as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, they will also inherit a seat on the U.N. Women’s Rights Commission and UNESCO.

Oh look! In case anyone needed any more evidence that the United Nations is a joke, with the Taliban likely to be recognized as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, they will also inherit a seat on the U.N. Women’s Rights Commission and UNESCO.

A little part of me thinks it’s a good idea to have them at the table with the grown ups. But then they will just get yelled for playing with their food that they will just get angrier.

A little part of me thinks it’s a good idea to have them at the table with the grown ups. But then they will just get yelled for playing with their food that they will just get angrier.
It will just be a case of arguing with republican faithful: nothing you say will convince them because god has told them they're right, and they already know that you're wrong, since you don't believe what they believe. If facts and common sense worked, there wouldn't be an antivax movement. You could just point to the start of vaccine mistrust being fraudulent studies and how they've been proven false and vaccines have been proven safe, over and over, for decades, and people would accept it and go on with their lives. If god himself told you that women are property that should be subjugated and under man, would you listen to a guy who shows up at a meeting and says "hey, your god is wrong, women are people too, and you can't be cavemen dickheads, we're trying to have a civilization here"?

If god himself told you that women are property that should be subjugated and under man, would you listen to a guy who shows up at a meeting and says "hey, your god is wrong, women are people too, and you can't be cavemen dickheads, we're trying to have a civilization here"?
To be fair, he did say* lots of stuff that his flock is able to conveniently forget. It's not like there's any particular rhyme or reason to what sticks.

*this asterisk means exactly what you think it means

Its all bullshit, I'm a very optimistic person generally, but these times have entered Dali-esq visions where nothing makes sense anymore.

Finally a little good news.

A judge has struck down California's ballot measure that exempted Uber and other companies from a state law requiring their drivers to be classified as employees eligible for benefits and job protections.

Alameda County Superior Court Judge Frank Roesch ruled Friday that Proposition 22, which allowed the drivers to be classified as independent contractors, is unconstitutional and can't be enforced.

Proposition 22 passed in November after Uber, Lyft and other app-based services spent $200 million in its favor, making it the most expensive ballot measure in state history.

A judge has struck down California's ballot measure that exempted Uber and other companies from a state law requiring their drivers to be classified as employees eligible for benefits and job protections.

Alameda County Superior Court Judge Frank Roesch ruled Friday that Proposition 22, which allowed the drivers to be classified as independent contractors, is unconstitutional and can't be enforced.

Proposition 22 passed in November after Uber, Lyft and other app-based services spent $200 million in its favor, making it the most expensive ballot measure in state history.

I wonder if they'll pull out of CA entirely. I can't imagine they'll be able to afford to pay them as employees with benefits. "all CA uber drivers now limited to 30 hours a week" is going to go over like a fart in an elevator.

Uber and Lyft are spending big money in Massachusetts on a campaign and ballot measure that would ensure the gig economy stays independent contractors. That ballot measure is to be voted on this November.

They really are pushing the scare tactics that if this doesn't pass and measures similar to what passed in California pass here that it would be the end of the "gig economy" and likely the end of Uber / Lyft service here in Massachusetts.

The whole purpose of the bill is to preserve the status quo of gig workers being contractors and not employees. There for not having to pay salaries or pay for benefits or provide sick pay and vacation time.

And of course they say it's for the benefit for the gig economy worker who can pick and choose their own hours. Also the rider by keeping ride fairs down.

I wonder if they'll pull out of CA entirely. I can't imagine they'll be able to afford to pay them as employees with benefits. "all CA uber drivers now limited to 30 hours a week" is going to go over like a fart in an elevator.

Then good riddance. If you can’t afford to pay your employees a fair wage then you don’t deserve to have them. These gig economy companies are exploitative and destructive.

Then good riddance. If you can’t afford to pay your employees a fair wage then you don’t deserve to have them. These gig economy companies are exploitative and destructive.
Agree. If you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, you do not have a profitable business.

Agree. If you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, you do not have a profitable business.

And this hiding behind self employed is disgusting and disingenuous. If they were genuinely self employed they could pick and chose when and how they work with complete flexibility. That’s generally not the case. They’re tied to restrictive conditions that legally create the employer/employee relationship. When you take out costs of insurance/fuel/maintaining car/appearance standards which all fall on the drivers as they’re “self employed” there are reports from the U.K. market that they’re actually making less than £5 an hour (I’ve seen as low as £3). That’s a long long way below the minimum wage nevermind any concept living one. Cheap taxis/delivery for me aren’t worth that level of exploitation.

Looks like it's going to be harder to vote by mail this year in Massachusetts.

Instead of requesting an online ballot online for this years elections, (primaries in September and the general election in November), you have to print out an application and mail it into city hall or drop it off at city hall for mail in / absentee ballot. No site that shows the status of your ballot this year either. From requested, to mailed to received and counted.

It looks like anyone can do mail in ballots again this year. But this year they will be given absentee ballots. At least for the Salem City primary election in September.

And this hiding behind self employed is disgusting and disingenuous. If they were genuinely self employed they could pick and chose when and how they work with complete flexibility. That’s generally not the case. They’re tied to restrictive conditions that legally create the employer/employee relationship. When you take out costs of insurance/fuel/maintaining car/appearance standards which all fall on the drivers as they’re “self employed” there are reports from the U.K. market that they’re actually making less than £5 an hour (I’ve seen as low as £3). That’s a long long way below the minimum wage nevermind any concept living one. Cheap taxis/delivery for me aren’t worth that level of exploitation.
I think when the rideshare companies initially started out, the idea that this job would be a “side hustle” for people that were already gainfully employed, owned and insured their own car, made sense but capitalism got in the way. They could never justify their gigantic IPO’s with people doing it casually on the side. They had to become a “disrupter” and compete with Taxi Cab services, now the only difference between cab companies and rideshares are that one doesn’t need a cab medallion and regularly fucks over their drivers.

I hear about all this terrible gerrymandering and voting suppression that's very obviously targeted at certain demographics and I wonder why no one on the other side is doing anything to combat this behaviour. Like pushing to making voting day a holiday or protected absence like Jury Duty, or putting together some secure online voting platform or a better method to vote. I mean, taxes are done online and that's secure enough for the government, what makes voting so different?

I think when the rideshare companies initially started out, the idea that this job would be a “side hustle” for people that were already gainfully employed, owned and insured their own car, made sense but capitalism got in the way. They could never justify their gigantic IPO’s with people doing it casually on the side. They had to become a “disrupter” and compete with Taxi Cab services, now the only difference between cab companies and rideshares are that one doesn’t need a cab medallion and regularly fucks over their drivers.

Totally if it was that no one would complain. The fact that they justify fucking people over by saying it’s still that when it’s not is the problem.

I hear about all this terrible gerrymandering and voting suppression that's very obviously targeted at certain demographics and I wonder why no one on the other side is doing anything to combat this behaviour. Like pushing to making voting day a holiday or protected absence like Jury Duty, or putting together some secure online voting platform or a better method to vote. I mean, taxes are done online and that's secure enough for the government, what makes voting so different?
I almost posted this thread yesterday but it really works with your thoughts here. Sadly, things are likely gonna get rough for the foreseeable future…

I almost posted this thread yesterday but it really works with your thoughts here. Sadly, things are likely gonna get rough for the foreseeable future…

This is so spot on it def doesn't count as a hot take, not even a lukewarm take, it's just common sense. I really wish democrats would get their shit together

Because we all know it's not about security. It's about creating advantages for the political party in charge.

This is so spot on it def doesn't count as a hot take, not even a lukewarm take, it's just common sense. I really wish democrats would get their shit together

Very on spot. But no voting related regulation or anything from that list is possible without blowing up the filibuster. It's just not going to happen. The Rs will filibuster it to death just like the voting reform a month or two back.

Back