Political Discussion

When Target released an ad in February celebrating a black woman–owned company that sells feminine hygiene products, it sparked a flood of negative and nasty online reviews that accused the company of being “racist” to white people.

“I can't support a company in good faith that is openly racist about their customers,” one review on Trustpilot, a customer review website, said.

“Black girls are empowered using this product... I guess whites girls aren’t. I’ll be letting Target know about this racist company,” another review said.

“If they really think that only black women should be empowered and white women should be left out then that's a huge step backward from the open and friendly society we tried to create over the last decades. I can't support a company in good faith that is openly racist about their customers.”

Only in Trump's America.

Sighs, it sounds more like white privilege revolting and being racist about Black Women owning a company than Honey Pot being racist for "not giving white people equal opportunity".

I wonder if all these reviews on Target.com and Trustpilot would have happened if Trump wasn't president and the racist were still hiding in the dark corners of the web.

Only in Trump's America.

Sighs, it sounds more like white privilege revolting and being racist about Black Women owning a company than Honey Pot being racist for "not giving white people equal opportunity".

I wonder if all these reviews on Target.com and Trustpilot would have happened if Trump wasn't president and the racist were still hiding in the dark corners of the web.
Don't get me going.......................and I woke up in such a good mood today ;)

Yes, they would. This isn't a feature of Trumpism, it's a display of how to the privileged, equality can feel like oppression.

The perception is that the DNC made some phone calls and pressured Pete and Amy our. Maybe some deals were struck. Then a series of endorsements that made a very clear and large impact. There is also the feeling that Warren stayed in it to railroad Bernie (after already kneecapping him with the “women can’t win” comment. She is too smart to have not seen last nights results coming.
I think there are two flaws to this argument, one of which @jaycee has already outlined. I do think Bernie's Bizarro-World logic takes over a bit, in the sense that after Warren said, when asked point-blank, that her memory was Bernie saying a woman couldn't win the election, the Bernie camp came out in force to assure us there was no way he said that, or that he meant it in the way Warren understood it. That has been followed by recent weeks of the Bernie camp telling us that Warren must drop out of the race because she can't win and her campaign is threatening the future of America (because she's hurting Bernie's chances).

The other part is this assumption that all voters are predictably rational actors who, given the withdrawal of one progressive candidate, will automatically revert to the other progressive candidate. But, and I think someone else had maybe pointed this out last night, there were polls showing that while Warren was a popular 2nd choice for Bernie voters, Bernie tended not to be the 2nd choice of many Warren voters.

The last element is that Warren deserves all the credit for ruining Bloomberg at the Las Vegas debate just *two weeks ago.* She's been a pivotal force in this primary, even if the net result wasn't more delegates in her column.

Somewhat tangentially, I thought this Vox writeup on Warren's popularity ceiling was a huge bummer for a few reasons:
But the other side of this is millennials watching politicians who supposedly have our back and sell themselves as progressive (Warren / Beto) throw the progressive movement downriver in an effort to advance their careers. And not to Pete or somebody palatable, no, to the guy who is largerly responsible for a lot of the problems we are trying to solve.
We've previously had a conversation around how Bernie and his activists are cognizant of the fact that he will have to make compromises on his agenda if elected, because he won't have a cooperative legislative majority. Why is foreknowledge that Bernie will eventually bend on progressive ideals once he's in office not a problem when other candidates bending on progressive ideals to get into office, is?

We've previously had a conversation around how Bernie and his activists are cognizant of the fact that he will have to make compromises on his agenda if elected, because he won't have a cooperative legislative majority. Why is foreknowledge that Bernie will eventually bend on progressive ideals once he's in office not a problem when other candidates bending on progressive ideals to get into office, is?

For me...he starts closer to where I want this country to be. Biden...not so much.

For me...he starts closer to where I want this country to be. Biden...not so much.
Sure. Maybe I wasn't clear because of how much I quoted, but I was responding mostly to this part:
But the other side of this is millennials watching politicians who supposedly have our back and sell themselves as progressive (Warren / Beto) throw the progressive movement downriver in an effort to advance their careers.

Yes, they would. This isn't a feature of Trumpism, it's a display of how to the privileged, equality can feel like oppression.

I always depresses me when some white guy brings up the black unemployment statistic. Umm..unemployment for all demographics has dropped. It's more about the proportion to other demographic groups. Buy you know they would just ignore that logic and say, "you can say anything with statistics."

Sure. Maybe I wasn't clear because of how much I quoted, but I was responding mostly to this part:

Yea, I don't necessary see it as entirely advancing there careers. Sometimes you have to balance priorities. If I make this decision here I won't be able to make this change here. Which is why I really don't like to talk about these things in motives and would rather point to the effect of their decisions.

Last edited:
I always depresses me when some white guy brings up the black unemployment statistic. Umm..unemployment for all demographics has dropped. It's more about the proportion to other demographic groups. Buy you know they would just ignore that logic and say, "you can say anything with statistics."

aaaaand having a job doesn't mean you are gettng paid a living wage, able to get to that job easily from where you can afford to live, or that it automatically equates to some pathway to build equity. Having a job is survival. It's how you keep yourself off of the street, but it isn't necessarily something that gives you access to tailwind in America

Looks like Warren is dropping out

From the article,
“Here’s my advice: Cast a vote that will make you proud,” Ms. Warren told voters on Super Tuesday, speaking in Detroit. “Cast a vote from your heart. Vote for the person you think will make the best president of the United States.”

Let's see if she takes her own advice...

I knew this was coming. Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. This just deflated me (and probably lots of other women).

My big Warren supporting friend sent me a message that he could literally flip a coin on who he votes for now because neither candidate appeals to him anymore. If he's anything like other Warren supporters, which I suspect he is, a lot of the enthusiasm in the race was, as you said Teeeee, just deflated.

My big Warren supporting friend sent me a message that he could literally flip a coin on who he votes for now because neither candidate appeals to him anymore. If he's anything like other Warren supporters, which I suspect he is, a lot of the enthusiasm in the race was, as you said Teeeee, just deflated.

I will still vote. I will still vote for the Dem nominee. It's too important not to. I just feel like I'm voting for getting back to status quo instead of voting for actual progress. I'm just sick of people that don't look like me, think like me, act like me, live like me, etc, making decisions that effect me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Trump will probably be doing his best 3rd grade bully impression making fun of Biden's stutter himself, and his base won't care, which is really fucking sad. Still don't think that has anything to do with whether or not he should run though.

I honestly have a feeling that this is going to be a big problem for Biden in the general, and I don't think this is just about a "stutter." Are we just supposed to not talk about dementia? I'm not trying to be mean or make fun of him but it's a legitimate concern to me. You can say things like "Well Trump seems to have dementia too!", which I agree with, but there is no winning side to that argument. You can say "Bernie is just as old!", but at least he doesn't seem as incoherent as Trump or Biden at this point. As a Bernie supporter, I also do not like how old he is. It sucks that the only options are old white men. Trump and the rest of the party are not going to hold back from talking about this and are going to bully Biden at every opportunity, including debates.

Watching anyone lose their mind (sorry if you find that wording offensive) is awful. I don't agree on much with Biden, and I really do not want to vote for him, but watching him get bullied for months over this is going to be awful. My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 12 years before she died, and for the last 7ish years she could not remember who I was. During the early years she would forget where she was and would think she needed to go pick my father up from school. At times she would refer to me as my father when both of us were sitting right next to her. During the last few years she lost her ability to speak english, then spanish, and then anything other than babbling and laughing incoherently. Obviously Biden is nowhere near this point yet, but the way he talks and acts reminds me of the early years of her diagnosis.

Do other people legitimately not think this is what is happening with Biden? Or is it not a big enough problem for most to worry about? I am genuinely curious because I am worried that putting Biden on stage next to Trump is going to end up being disastrous. I will still vote for Biden if he is the nominee, but I doubt he can win.

I will still vote. I will still vote for the Dem nominee. It's too important not too. I just feel like I'm voting for getting back to status quo instead of voting for actual progress. I'm just sick of people that don't look like me, think like me, act like me, live like me, etc, making decisions that effect me.
Oh yes, just to clarify he and I both are definitely voting for the dem candidate in November. He was more speaking about Ohio's dem primary coming up.

Back