Political Discussion

This is a great observation; a vocal minority, which is what I'm hoping we're seeing/hearing.
It’s still going to be way closer than it should be but Trump is gonna lose worse than he did 4 years ago. Demographically the country continues to get more diverse/less white. Also, it might sound morbid but if you look at the numbers, areas that voted for Trump were more deeply impacted by Covid deaths than Biden areas (they don’t call it a death cult for nothing). The biggest difference though, is the sheer number of people post-January 6th that find Trump to be anti-democratic. People that hate Biden hate him in the same traditional way that a conservative hates a Democrat but they understand he works within the US Democratic system of governance. You can’t say the same thing about Trump and even voters who casually follow politics know that his second term would be dangerous.

Last edited:
I don’t know man, in the South, I feel like an outsider and with the way some of the folks who talk about politics in the open talk about it here, I tend to just not discuss it outside of my social groups and never with my wife’s family. I think there are a lot more people who would rather see it burn down than to vote for Biden. I’m just unsure if there are enough to swing it. Here it very much seems like a forgone conclusion that Trump will be elected. And this is coming from someone in the most liberal part of the state.

This felt like it belonged in the Onion. Reading through the “logic” people were using for investing in DJT, I thought “I’m sure they’ll find a way to blame the “woke” liberal media” and sure as 💩they do. Trump could put these people in their deathbeds and they still will support him. My ability to be sympathetic is waning as I see more and more people make life altering decisions based on the lies of a mentally unstable individual.

I don’t know man, in the South, I feel like an outsider and with the way some of the folks who talk about politics in the open talk about it here, I tend to just not discuss it outside of my social groups and never with my wife’s family. I think there are a lot more people who would rather see it burn down than to vote for Biden. I’m just unsure if there are enough to swing it. Here it very much seems like a forgone conclusion that Trump will be elected. And this is coming from someone in the most liberal part of the state.
I imagine being liberal in states like NC, FL, and Texas where, prior to 2020 where many thought they could flip their states blue, only to again vote for Trump; would probably give me very little hope. Though I do think the North Carolina GOP nominated a complete fool for Governor, so I bet that drives up an unenthusiastic electorate to vote against him (and presumably also against Trump) I don’t imagine a ton of split tickets this year especially with the status of abortion being on the ticket.

I also imagine there are a lot of people that probably feel more like you than you’d suspect but unlike the obnoxious MAGA people, they keep those beliefs to themselves because they are tired and don’t wanna deal with all the bullshit that goes into sharing your political viewpoint with whack jobs.

Last edited:
imo, based on the few conversations I've had which loop in Trump voters (past or present), Jan 6 did alienate quite a few people. From what I can tell, those who are sticking around are mainly in the camp of aggrieved voters who want to stick a monkey wrench in the works, whether they think Trump represents their interests or simply represents a disrupting force.

This brings me to a thought I've been having recently, which is: is Trump's lead as big as it seems? Is his base as large as they're reported to be? I'm seeing stories of misinformation being funneled to Americans which imply Trump is doing a lot better than he actually is.

What really makes my ears prick up is a poll from last weekend, in which Trump's lead is shown to be smaller than before. While that was framed as a small step forward for Biden, the underlying numbers make me wonder: the pollsters reveal they made something like 100,000 phone calls, and the poll results are based on the ~2,000 people who actually picked up the phone and answered questions.

Think about that percentage. Now think about the demographic you imagine would pick up a call from an unrecognized number and gladly sit on the line and share their political opinions. It certainly paints a portrait of a certain type of person and perspective.
Polling data is definitely suspect. Especially, if your primary pool of respondents is people answering the phone.

I’m not one to bash to blame and bash media for all of our problems, but there is an incentive for mainstream media to keep people with a sense of doom and gloom to attract attention. This all maybe backfiring as people tend to be watching less cable news.

This guys analysis on issues is usually on point.

Think about that percentage. Now think about the demographic you imagine would pick up a call from an unrecognized number and gladly sit on the line and share their political opinions. It certainly paints a portrait of a certain type of person and perspective.
If I'm reading this correctly, your assertion is that folks on the right are more likely to spend their time sharing their political opinions to strangers on the phone?

I don't know, I've heard a lot of liberals bloviate ad nauseum too. I could imagine them bending a pollsters ear.

Full disclosure, I have no data whatsoever and don't know what data would exist one way or the other, but conservatives (especially those in support of Trump) tend to be distrustful of the media. Although pollsters are not the media, I don't know if Trump supporters would make that distinction.

Last edited:
A recent story in MA that has republicans all fired up is that a city tried to prevent ICE from deporting an "Illegal Alien" recently. They did everything possible to prevent / block the deportation. Of course the feds trumped state / city authorities and pretty much told them to fuck off or be arrested.

Many people that I know who are republicans are angry that the city tried to interfere. They want the criminals off their streets and don't feel safe. And are bitching about their tax dollars going to fund the illegals.

What they never consider is that this is just a normal person. Not a criminal. Has never been in trouble with the law, was working and driving legally in MA as MA allows this for undocumented immigrants. And that this person has been here since he was a child, and now has a family of his own that he is being separated from.

This is not someone who can be blamed for the streets being unsafe, and this person has never gotten a dollar of government aid. He has had to work and earn his way.

If I'm reading this correctly, your assertion is that folks on the right are more likely to spend their time sharing their political opinions to strangers on the phone?

I don't know, I've heard a lot of liberals bloviate ad nauseum too. I could imagine them bending a pollsters ear.

Full disclosure, I have no data whatsoever and don't know what data would exist one way or the other, but conservatives (especially those in support of Trump) tend to be distrustful of the media. Although pollsters are not the media, I don't know if Trump supporters would make that distinction.
Sorta! Based on the tight margins in the results, the kinda folks who would respond are pretty split, politically speaking. But based on the energy/grievance of trump’s base, that I imagine there are fewer people who “will vote for Trump, I guess” than “will vote for Biden, I guess;” I’d imagine the Trump contingent is overrepresented in that ~1/2 of 2% of those contacted.

…and his base consists of the sort of sap who would pick up a phone call from an unidentified number.

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s necessarily people ‘on the right’. I think it’s more people of a certain age that still have land lines and that demographic tends to skew more Republican.

A recent story in MA that has republicans all fired up is that a city tried to prevent ICE from deporting an "Illegal Alien" recently. They did everything possible to prevent / block the deportation. Of course the feds trumped state / city authorities and pretty much told them to fuck off or be arrested.

Many people that I know who are republicans are angry that the city tried to interfere. They want the criminals off their streets and don't feel safe. And are bitching about their tax dollars going to fund the illegals.

What they never consider is that this is just a normal person. Not a criminal. Has never been in trouble with the law, was working and driving legally in MA as MA allows this for undocumented immigrants. And that this person has been here since he was a child, and now has a family of his own that he is being separated from.

This is not someone who can be blamed for the streets being unsafe, and this person has never gotten a dollar of government aid. He has had to work and earn his way.
Seeing another as a human takes all the fun out of scapegoating and rage mongering.

I don’t think it’s necessarily people ‘on the right’. I think it’s more people of a certain age that still have land lines and that demographic tends to skew more Republican.
Maybe. It's a good discussion and mostly anecdotal in our assertions. My mother is a septuagenarian Jewish woman from CT that is firmly Democrat. And so are the legion of women in her canasta group. They probably all have landlines (although my mother would not talk to anyone cold calling).

Maybe. It's a good discussion and mostly anecdotal in our assertions. My mother is a septuagenarian Jewish woman from CT that is firmly Democrat. And so are the legion of women in her canasta group. They probably all have landlines (although my mother would not talk to anyone cold calling).
Septuagenarian Jewish Northeastern Dems and octogenarian Protestant rural Midwestern GOPers (my Grandma) who still have landlines aren’t necessarily the groups that are fucking up the Polling data. It’s the “younger” non-landline owning folks. There was a poll recently releases showing Trump had a double digit lead amongst 18-34 year-olds. Which either means that polling is messed up or their has been a huge demographic shift over the 4 Years.

Edit: here’s that poll I was alluding too…
IMG_4141.jpeg

Last edited:
Septuagenarian Jewish Northeastern Dems and octogenarian Protestant rural Midwestern GOPers (my Grandma) who still have landlines aren’t necessarily the groups that are fucking up the Polling data. It’s the “younger” non-landline owning folks. There was a poll recently releases showing Trump had a double digit lead amongst 18-34 year-olds. Which either means that polling is messed up or their has been a huge demographic shift over the 4 Years.

Edit: here’s that poll I was alluding too…
View attachment 200516

A lot of that demographic I see on TikTok or Instagram do indeed seem to be Trump supporters and wanting to "own the libs".

You have to remember, many in this age group are priced out of being able to buy a home. Those that went to college may be buried in student loan debt. They are hurting and don't want the status quo. They want a disruption.

I'm still being shocked by people you would never think being a Trump supporter in a thousand years turn out to be in this age demographic.

So far I have been saying to myself, well, they must be from rural areas or money, and their parents were republicans so this is just a default following in their parents footsteps. But I am worried there may be a shift. And with more and more younger people being priced out of being able to own a home, they are looking for someone to blow up the current system and fix everything.

To me, Trump will never be that person, he will just make things worse. But he's not the status quo.

A lot of that demographic I see on TikTok or Instagram do indeed seem to be Trump supporters and wanting to "own the libs".

You have to remember, many in this age group are priced out of being able to buy a home. Those that went to college may be buried in student loan debt. They are hurting and don't want the status quo. They want a disruption.

I'm still being shocked by people you would never think being a Trump supporter in a thousand years turn out to be in this age demographic.

So far I have been saying to myself, well, they must be from rural areas or money, and their parents were republicans so this is just a default following in their parents footsteps. But I am worried there may be a shift. And with more and more younger people being priced out of being able to own a home, they are looking for someone to blow up the current system and fix everything.

To me, Trump will never be that person, he will just make things worse. But he's not the status quo.
TikTok isn’t real representation, you watch one MAGA Gen Z video and the algorithm is gonna feed you a shit ton more of similar content. There is no evidence that there has been a double-digit swing in the youth vote over the past 4 years. Young people are hardly enthusiastic about either candidate but not being able to buy a home (for the record, I didn’t buy my home until I turned 34) didn’t turn a whole generation of young people into fascists. The more likely outcome is voters who are turned off by the presidential candidates that will become apathetic to the process as a whole.

also, here is another poll from roughly the same time frame…
IMG_4142.jpeg

As you can see the polls vary wildly. Which seemingly demonstrates an issue with the polls themselves.

Massachusetts has a housing crisis. Not just affordability, but also availability. There simply isn't enough housing available.

One of the big issues at play is a state law that requires a super majority approval by zoning boards to build housing. This has been around for more than 30 years now and has resulted in only single family and high end luxury apartments being approved by zoning boards. The vocal minority has been able to block virtually all attempts to build multifamily housing, low income housing or apartment complex from being build in many cities. Change in community dynamics, crime and potential loss of property values are all to blame.

The law itself has failed to be repealed multiple times because it takes a super majority vote and they are always falling just a few votes short.

One of the solutions the state came up with to encourage building of low income housing, apartments and multifamily homes was to require communities within the MBTA district to build these types of housing to continue receiving subsidized public transportation service from the state.

Sadly, this hasn't really helped get more than a couple building projects approved. Zoning boards are still blocking the approval to build these types of developments. While the majority of the people in these communities as well as zoning boards vote yes to approval, the vocal minority are still blocking everything. They rather give up public transportation or have their city and residence pay more for the service than approve these types of development projects within their communities.

This week, Milton MA became the latest city where the zoning board failed to pass a vote to approve multi family housing as required to continue to receiving state subsidized public transportation service. Milton, like a lot of Boston suburbs, are composed of almost entirely single family homes. There is not much for multi family housing and almost no apartment complex.

Back