Political Discussion

The brazenness of asking for a tip for a remote cashier is nutty to me. But then we’ve been headed that way for a minute.

If I walked in and was greeted by a machine that told me the virtual cashier would be back in a moment, I would for sure leave.

What I don’t know is how I would feel about a virtual cashier in the first place. Why not just do self check out?
I bet it's cheaper than self checkouts. Small business / chains wouldn't build their own systems, and if they use software / systems made by some tech company, I can almost guarantee the tech company takes a percentage of each sale.

I bet it's cheaper than self checkouts. Small business / chains wouldn't build their own systems, and if they use software / systems made by some tech company, I can almost guarantee the tech company takes a percentage of each sale.
I’d bet cost wise it’s about the same but return on tips is greater. I’m for sure laughing at the self checkout Machine asking for a tip. The fact that the interviewed Cashier stated that she shares the tip with the kitchen and manager is a telling sign.

Also with self checkouts, it's really easy for people to just not pay for some shit. Not that i would uuuh know....

Last edited:
Also with self checkouts, it's really easy to people to just not pay for some shit. Not that i would uuuh know....
When checking out items from a store, that for sure is an issue. But in this case, I think the cashiers just take the order and check you out. Like at McDonalds and you wait a minute or two for someone to put your order together.

Meanwhile in California, due to an increase in minimum wage for fast food workers that went into effect this month, fast food restaurants are replacing cashiers with kiosks.
There’s a McDonads down the street that got kiosks in the middle of the pandemic. They still have cashiers. Most people (at the time - no idea if they still do, haven’t been to McDonald’s in two or three years) avoided the kiosks.

Also with self checkouts, it's really easy for people to just not pay for some shit. Not that i would uuuh know....
I know a guy that would use the bulk bins and barcode generator to unethically tip the scales in their favor...

Looked like half a pound to me... and maybe your scale just wasn't calibrated... *shrug*

I'm opposed to the death penalty in all instances, but can you imagine if we treated financial crimes with this level of seriousness here? Would the 2008 financial crisis happen again due to greed if anyone had been held liable instead of getting bonuses at Goldman for tanking the economy and destroying middle class wealth.

I'm opposed to the death penalty in all instances, but can you imagine if we treated financial crimes with this level of seriousness here? Would the 2008 financial crisis happen again due to greed if anyone had been held liable instead of getting bonuses at Goldman for tanking the economy and destroying middle class wealth.

Yes but as much as I loved Vietnam as a country when I was there, and the people are wonderful, it’s a repressive communist state that uses corruption and financial crimes as a way of silencing political opponents or even potential future challengers on your own side. Yes there should have been criminal consequences flowing from the economic crashes and the gross behaviour of the markets in general but I’d largely still be subject to American justice for all its many many many problems.

Last edited:

Meanwhile in California, due to an increase in minimum wage for fast food workers that went into effect this month, fast food restaurants are replacing cashiers with kiosks.
As @TenderLovingKiller® said, it's not because of the minimum wage increase. Businesses will always say that increases to minimum wages will destroy their businesses, but they'd be automating cashiers regardless. It's just the same anti-worker bullshit as always.

While I agree that in the vast majority of cases, automated cashiers are anti-worker bullshit, I do want to shout out my local grocery store for doing it differently. I was dismayed when I first saw automated checkouts being built in the store where they usually staged their caselot sale items at the end of the row of tills (it used to be a second entry/exit to the stores) No human-run tills were removed to put them in, but I still figured they were just trying to cut payroll and said as much to my cashier one day but she told me it was quite the opposite, they were actually going to need to hire 4 new cashiers in order to have a body supervising the 4 self-checkouts while the other checkouts would maintain regular staffing levels... the idea for them came more from the fact that there is a lot of construction going on on the area right now, in addition to longtime neighbourhood workers who just want to come in for a sandwich and a drink at lunch and oftentimes wind up in a line behind folks doing bigger shops, or just leaving... so this way they could breeze in and out. And that's exactly what's happened, there are consistently more employees on the floor than before, and I too have definitely used the convenience of the self-checkout when only grabbing one or two items, though more often than not I will still wait for a cashier unless only the two or three I don't much care for are currently running tills.

As I said off the top, shit's fucked and for the most part the robots are stealing jobs... but I was happily surprised to see it used differently in my neighbourhood.

Yes but as much as I loved Vietnam as a country when I was there, and the people are wonderful, it’s a repressive communist state that uses corruption and financial crimes as a way of silencing political opponents or even potential future challengers on your own side. Yes there should have been criminal consequences flowing from the economic crashes and the gross behaviour of the markets in general but I’d largely still be subject to American justice for all its many many many problems.
I'm a broad sense I agree with you. But it's worth pointing out that you don't get billionaires in a communist state. They may have the label much like China, but it's really a system of state capitalism in both those countries. And plenty of capitalist countries use the guise of corruption and financial crimes to silence opponents. This probably matters less where you're at (and i know this isn't you at all), but in the US every other dipshit thinks that anything not right-wing is communist.

I'm a broad sense I agree with you. But it's worth pointing out that you don't get billionaires in a communist state. They may have the label much like China, but it's really a system of state capitalism in both those countries. And plenty of capitalist countries use the guise of corruption and financial crimes to silence opponents. This probably matters less where you're at (and i know this isn't you at all), but in the US every other dipshit thinks that anything not right-wing is communist.

Oh completely but you absolutely do have the rule of law and for all its faults a democracy. Whilst Vietnam, like China, isn’t necessarily Communist in terms of being an open economy it still is a controlled and oppressively high tax one. It is also a single party state that will purge opponents or even former friends upon leadership or public opinion change. All rich people and all corruption is going to be either in government or heavily connected to it. This is likely someone who has been corrupt but is also an easy target. The current lead fella is riding a wave of popularity on the back of an anti corruption drive but id love to look into his and his allies financials.

I suppose if I was calling for consequences for financial crime I’d be using examples in some of the more transparent democracies, if there are any.

Back