Political Discussion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/05/russia-putin-north-korea-weapons-sanctions/

This makes me wonder, would the world be safer if the five permanent members of the security council no longer had veto power? It would mean a lot more scrutiny of America, but we could use it. We didn’t need to go to Iraq, and we could have had a better outcome in Afghanistan if we weren’t there for 20 years. And that’s just recent history. The veto has kept a lot of stuff from becoming worse, as the nations didn’t feel the need to defend themselves internationally, but has also led to lots and lots of public suffering.

"If this Partisan Hack wants to put me in the 'clink' for speaking the open and obvious TRUTH, I will gladly become a Modern Day Nelson Mandela."

Mostly hilarious, but also EXTREMELY insulting to the legacy of Nelson Mandela.
Yeah but his cult will gobble it up and honestly believe it is an apt comparison.

I’m just shy of meeting the requirements for this. I’m sure my interest has way exceeded my balance, but while i started college in ‘04 i also deferred and applied for forbearance several times. Depending on what “started paying off” means, I only was in a position to “start” like seven years ago.

I’m just shy of meeting the requirements for this. I’m sure my interest has way exceeded my balance, but while i started college in ‘04 i also deferred and applied for forbearance several times. Depending on what “started paying off” means, I only was in a position to “start” like seven years ago.
I feel like this has been happening in incremental chunks, probably tougher for the weirdos on the right to challenge it in court; and once cancelled they can’t really reinstate so hopefully they will keep canceling debt as long as they can and if not this time hopefully the next.

What if your loans have already defaulted? This says if you are at risk of defaulting.

Also, like you, I stated college in 2004 and used up all my forbearance time. I’m not sure if I qualify or not for this.

I don't know how they are going to figure this out for everyone, unless they just plan to ignore a lot of us. I paid for six years on my undergrad loans, deferred while in grad school, consolidated them with my grad school loans to qualify for income based repayment after grad school, and have paid for six more years since. I think I'm just boned, but I'm still happy for anyone who gets more of theirs forgiven. It's a shit show and the more that's done the better.

The bulk of borrowers impacted by the plan will be those who owe more than their original balance because of accumulated interest. Borrowers who make under $120,000 a year, or married borrowers who make under $240,000, will automatically receive cancellation for the amount their balance has grown because of interest, up to $20,000. This cancellation will be automatic, and the administration estimates it will impact more than 25 million borrowers.

Still no mentions of cancelling the actual interest RATE. This is so obviously the problem. How did people get into this position in the first place? Because of high interest rates. If all you do is cancel some of the debt accrued through interest without touching the interest rate, you're just deferring the same problem for later. Or is there an aspect of this that I'm missing?

The brazenness of asking for a tip for a remote cashier is nutty to me. But then we’ve been headed that way for a minute.

If I walked in and was greeted by a machine that told me the virtual cashier would be back in a moment, I would for sure leave.

What I don’t know is how I would feel about a virtual cashier in the first place. Why not just do self check out?

Back