Political Discussion

Between Kris Kobach and Ken Paxton it's tough to know which hates the poor more.

Speaking of student loans, there was just a news story this week about how Massachusetts is now the most expensive state in the US to get a college education based off of average tuition.

For the 2024-2025 school year, 2 schools will set you back more than 90k in tuition per year, and 10 more than 80k.

My first thought was Harvard must be responsible. And while Harvard is expensive, it's not one of the schools they listed at over 90k.

Boston University and Wellesley College are the ones that will set you back more than 90k.

Note that these tuition numbers include room & board.

Speaking of student loans, there was just a news story this week about how Massachusetts is now the most expensive state in the US to get a college education based off of average tuition.

For the 2024-2025 school year, 2 schools will set you back more than 90k in tuition per year, and 10 more than 80k.

My first thought was Harvard must be responsible. And while Harvard is expensive, it's not one of the schools they listed at over 90k.

Boston University and Wellesley College are the ones that will set you back more than 90k.

Note that these tuition numbers include room & board.
MIT and Tufts too lots of big time colleges in your state.

MIT and Tufts too lots of big time colleges in your state.

Yup. And not just in the Boston area, but also the western portion of the state I grew up in known as the "knowledge corridor". You have schools like Amherst College, which are on the list of 10 schools above 80k. Lot's of very expensive private grammar / high schools and colleges in the knowledge corridor. My home town had Deerfield Academy and Eagle Brook as well as a couple other private schools. Lot's of very wealthy people and members of royal families from around world send their kids there to get an education.

One of the things people try to beat me up most about my so called "bad decisions", is going to college out of state. There is an assumption that I spent more money by doing that and I could have saved costs by staying in state. While I guess that is true in most states, it wasn't necessarily true for me. My out of state tuition was the same as if I went to UMASS. It's not a case of if I stayed in state I could have saved money, but rather a case of I should have done my first 2 years at a community college to save money. And that path was not popular with my generation. community colleges were looked down upon as lesser schools. 96% of my graduating class went on to 4 year schools.

And that path was not popular with my generation. community colleges were looked down upon as lesser schools
I don’t think this is explained to high school students well enough. Everything has been drilled into us that 4 year college is your only path to success (I.e. making lots of money).

Back