Political Discussion

It's the only reason I think Nikki Haley is staying in, in case Trump dies or gets convicted.
Can a convicted individual be barred from being elected? Even if Haley somehow managed to win the nomination I still suspect a good number of republicans would still vote for Trump.

Pivoting to Kamala is such a wild-card, bomb-dropping move that could splash some points back into Dems favor. A black swan event of sorts that could really shake things up. I don't think they'll do it, but ~something~ needs to change. Kamala is a horrible candidate and has poor views on things, but doing nothing is not going to help.

I think Kamala would fare worse than Hillary. And Hillary was doomed long before they fucked old man Bernie over.

Can a convicted individual be barred from being elected? Even if Haley somehow managed to win the nomination I still suspect a good number of republicans would still vote for Trump.
No. And I agree that he'd still get a lot of votes and there would likely be violence. But it would probably turn the GOP convention into disarray and in the chaos I think she is being told there's a path. Of course it doesn't look like we'll get any of the trials early enough now because our judicial system is also fucked and the DOJ dragged their fucking feet.

It feels a bit chicken-egg to me though; nobody is stepping up as an alternative because the party is falling in line behind our Only Hope, and he's our Only Hope because nobody has the guts to step up as an alternative.
To some degree sure, but also this is just how presidential party politics work: only dummies like Dean primary the president. You look like a fool and a loser if you do. Your party will not support you and might actively work against you. It’s political suicide. The problem here is that Trump decided to run again; I agree with @BjorgenFjorgen that Dems failed to plan adequately for that near certainty, but they did, and the only path they had available to address it is to keep Biden in office. This isn’t a political climate in which Joe can gracefully acknowledge his age and pass the reins to someone else without damaging his term’s credibility even more for its final year, and without inviting claims that the passing of the torch was a back room deal, and without opening the door to a dozen numbnut challengers looking for a moment in the sun. As a practical matter I still haven’t heard a scenario that sounds remotely realistic.
And she hasn't made a positive PR splash as VP.
She’s in an impossible spot (by choice). If she were grandstanding she would be getting ridiculed for trying to steal the spotlight and subvert the president by arrogantly presuming she’s next in line. When she’s quiet and follows the company line she gets dismissed for not making a splash. She can be dismissed for a variety of reasons but I don’t really see why her service as VP would be one. If anything I think it speaks to some poor judgment that she thought it might successfully catapult her into the Oval Office.

Pivoting to Kamala is such a wild-card, bomb-dropping move that could splash some points back into Dems favor. A black swan event of sorts that could really shake things up. I don't think they'll do it, but ~something~ needs to change. Kamala is a horrible candidate and has poor views on things, but doing nothing is not going to help.
Kamala would motivate the right to go out and vote in a way that Biden doesn’t. Black and female? It’s like you forgot how the republican base feels about Obama and Hillary

Establishment dems benefit from far right policy, so sure they don't actually give a shit, but for anybody else, Biden being allowed to run for a second term will probably be seen as one of the biggest electoral blunders in the nation's history. Trump is being handed this on a silver platter, whether he ends up convicted or not.

Establishment dems benefit from far right policy, so sure they don't actually give a shit, but for anybody else, Biden being allowed to run for a second term will probably be seen as one of the biggest electoral blunders in the nation's history. Trump is being handed this on a silver platter, whether he ends up convicted or not.
Let’s hope your crystal ball is accurate as it was 4 years ago:
If we DO get Joe Biden, we are royally fucked. He's the same kind of milquetoast centrist Hillary was, and he will 100% lose.

You really got a file on everyone !
Buddy, lemme tell you, I gotta get it out of my system on the forum. Have you ever tried to contradict your spouse by referring to something they said four years ago?

Wife: X

Me: But you told me Y. I remember.

Wife: Why are you using my words against me?!

Me: I thought you said you wanted me to listen more.

Wife: NOT LIKE THAT

Buddy, lemme tell you, I gotta get it out of my system on the forum. Have you ever tried to contradict your spouse by referring to something they said four years ago?

Wife: X

Me: But you told me Y. I remember.

Wife: Why are you using my words against me?!

Me: I thought you said you wanted me to listen more.

Wife: NOT LIKE THAT
a few months ago we had a... “Discussion” where that she insisted she’d given my debit card back to me, in my hand, she definitely didn’t have it and if I had lost it, it was my own fault.

Three days later she tried to hand it to me. “What’s this?” I say. “Your debit card!” “The one you definitely don’t have and have back to me and it was my own fault for losing and it wasn’t your fault that I was careless?” She’s still mad that I quoted her back to her verbatim

"But another part of me, perhaps the irrational, can no longer watch any Biden speech or address without picturing his aides also watching backstage, mainlining cortisol, every fibre of their brace-positioned beings willing him to get over the line without making any unforced errors – and to then exit the stage without trying to use a flag as a door." 🤣 🤣

Let’s hope your crystal ball is accurate as it was 4 years ago:
So, I’ve enjoyed the past 3ish years not having to worry about the POTUS fucking up the country beyond recognition. This country is far from perfect but just not having to deal with that daily anxiety made my life better.

Reagan’s brain was mush at the end, Woodrow Wilson suffered a debilitating Stroke in 1919 and served out the rest of his term without too much of an issue. These men are not what consider to great presidents or even good men but the federal government and institutions were strong enough to withstand essentially an incapacitated executive.

My point is having a feeble geriatric man that allows the machine to run on autopilot is preferable to having a demented geriatric man actively trying to dismantle the machine from within. To me, that seems fairly obvious and as long as it’s just Biden and Trump running I think most prefer the Biden years to the Trump years. I think as November approaches voters will draw the same conclusion.

I don’t care if Biden is hermetically sealed in an Iron Lung for the next 4 year. The only way he matters is that he keeps the keys to the White House out of Trump’s hand.

Last edited:
So, I’ve enjoyed the past 3ish years not having to worry about the POTUS fucking up the country beyond recognition. This country is far from perfect but just not having to deal with that daily anxiety made my life better.

Reagan’s brain was mush at the end, Woodrow Wilson suffered a debilitating Stroke in 1919 and served out the rest of his term without too much of an issue. These men are not what consider to great presidents or even good men but the federal government and institutions were strong enough to withstand essentially an incapacitated executive.

My point is having a feeble geriatric man that allows the machine to run on autopilot is preferable to having a demented geriatric man actively trying to dismantle the machine from within. To me, that seems fairly obvious and as long as it’s just Biden and Trump running I think most prefer the Biden years to the Trump years. I think as November approaches voters will draw the same conclusion.

I don’t care if Biden is hermetically sealed in an Iron Lung for the next 4 year. The only way he matters is that he keeps the keys to the White House out of Trump’s hand.
When the orange asshole was pres, reading the morning news for what outrageous thing he had done in the previous 24 hours was always angst filled. Joe has been a breeze during his time as leader of the free world.

My point is having a feeble geriatric man that allows the machine to run on autopilot is preferable to having a demented geriatric man actively trying to dismantle the machine from within.
....or a demented geriatric man in cognitive decline that is being used and controlled by enemies foreign and domestic.

Back