Political Discussion

I just heard something that concerned me on Meet The Press.

Basically, polls are showing that 53% of Nikki Haley supporters are registered democrats. Her campaign is targeting independents, but the majority of her voters are actually coming from Democrats.

Not sure if this is democrats voting for her as to try to get someone other than Trump in an off election season, or if it's a sign that democrats have had enough of their own party and are looking for someone / something different.

Another concerning fact is back in 2016, Trump did not have the majority of evangelists supporting him. He by far does today. Why is that? What changed?

Another interesting thing that polls show are that if Ron Desantis dropped out, his supporters would move to Trump. Where as if Nikki Haley were to drop out, her supporters would move to someone other than Trump.
This really depends on the state when you're talking about primaries. Some are closed to the party, others are open. It's not worth voting for Biden at this stage since he has no competition, so it's strategic for Dems in states with open primaries to vote for Haley. Even though she's a racist she's a shade less pro-facism then Desantis as a Trump alternative. And the evangelicals only didn't flock to Trump in the primaries, they mostly went to Cruz, but they did overwhelmingly support him in the general election.

I think Sanders hit the nail on the head when he praised the few domestic wins that Biden has but that his team is doing a horrible job messaging them, he's behind the game because they aren't primarying in terms of getting to the independents who have had nothing but Republicans for months in their face. And he needs to pivot hard to convincing working class folks that he has their back before the general. Failing to do that and they're hosed. I don't think it'll have anything to do with Dems jumping ship or the evangelicals vote which is always Republican. It'll be getting some Hispanic support back, actually trying to court the youth vote, and going for working class independents. The fact that the Republican party is crushing the Dems with the working and middle class is a major failure of Dem policy, but even we could argue more so of their messaging.

Just saw a political ad that's punch line was "Nikki Haley, too liberal to fix the border".

They quoted her twice saying "Illegals are not criminals, we need to stop thinking of them that way". And the response from the narrator of the commercial both times was "Illegals are criminals Nikki, that's what being called Illegals means".

The Supreme Court. They’re single issue voters and he delivered. They’re running hard for a federal end to abortion and criminalization of anything that can aid it.

Gay rights after that.
Actually let me refine that:

First, voting rights

Then abortion, then trans / gay rights (under the guise of education reform most likely, but medical choice might also be a way.)

Expect some sort of enshrinement of guns and racist statues. Expect direct attacks on the constitution if trump wins, especially term limits and immunity.

I just heard something that concerned me on Meet The Press.

Basically, polls are showing that 53% of Nikki Haley supporters are registered democrats. Her campaign is targeting independents, but the majority of her voters are actually coming from Democrats.

Not sure if this is democrats voting for her as to try to get someone other than Trump in an off election season, or if it's a sign that democrats have had enough of their own party and are looking for someone / something different.
What @yukbon said, but it’s also a sign of how little support she has overall, resulting in a situation where any D support is definitionally a significant percentage of her base.
Just saw a political ad that's punch line was "Nikki Haley, too liberal to fix the border".

They quoted her twice saying "Illegals are not criminals, we need to stop thinking of them that way". And the response from the narrator of the commercial both times was "Illegals are criminals Nikki, that's what being called Illegals means".
No. “Being called illegals” is a mechanism to dehumanize under the veneer of communicating compliance with the law.
Actually let me refine that:

First, voting rights

Then abortion, then trans / gay rights (under the guise of education reform most likely, but medical choice might also be a way.)

Expect some sort of enshrinement of guns and racist statues. Expect direct attacks on the constitution if trump wins, especially term limits and immunity.
My own senator and possibly soon to be governor supports overturning Loving v Virginia to “let the states decide.”

What @yukbon said, but it’s also a sign of how little support she has overall, resulting in a situation where any D support is definitionally a significant percentage of her base.

No. “Being called illegals” is a mechanism to dehumanize under the veneer of communicating compliance with the law.

My own senator and possibly soon to be governor supports overturning Loving v Virginia to “let the states decide.”
IMG_2251.jpeg

It always amazes me how much more money gets funneled into political campaigns for the republican party when compared to the democrats.

For example, I saw a report that so far Biden has raised $99 Million for his 2024 campaign. Which is apparently a good amount of money for a Democratic candidate according to the report.

However, in another story, I saw that Republican candidates spent $123 in Iowa alone. And only $18 million of that was from Trump. Meaning that everyone else who is not the leading Republican candidate (not Trump) collectively spent more campaign money in a single state than Biden has raised for the general election so far.

I hope I’m wrong, but man this country is just dumb enough to do the unthinkable.
The U.S. fucking drives me fucking crazy. Where else in the world could a nominee lose the popular vote and win the presidency? Fuck gerrymandering and fuck the electoral college. And why the fuck is the Democratic Party so out of touch with their constituents and what drives them to the polls? They have no fucking idea how to message, something Republicans have mastered.

The U.S. fucking drives me fucking crazy. Where else in the world could a nominee lose the popular vote and win the presidency? Fuck gerrymandering and fuck the electoral college. And why the fuck is the Democratic Party so out of touch with their constituents and what drives them to the polls? They have no fucking idea how to message, something Republicans have mastered.

The Democratic Party seems like they’ve been taking their voters for granted. Just show up and so will the people.

I share the same fears but I’d also like to point out a lot can happen in nine months. I can’t help but feel resignation manifests the defeat. We’re making a lot of assumptions about the election’s outcome. Or existence, for that matter.
I truly don’t think DJT will win, but that doesn’t mean I’m not scared shitless.

Back