Political Discussion

1200x-1.jpg

The company has blamed the union’s negative influence for a higher rate of employee attrition at stores that have organized, and it has denied wrongdoing. “Starbucks has always been a different kind of company and, while not perfect, we consistently do what’s right for our partners, our customers and business,” the company said in a statement.

Starbucks’s anti-union campaign has been most intense in Buffalo, a working-class city where the union drive began. In early March, an administrative law judge found Starbucks had committed “egregious and widespread misconduct” in Buffalo and ordered the coffee giant to rehire seven “unlawfully discharged” employees.

So, breaking the law is what's doing best for your partners, customers and business?

Yeah, that's fucked up that it's cheaper to commute by plane to your internship than get an apartment and pay rent.
I feel like there are a few unspoken aspects to this, such as the fact that it’s one in-person day a week (so lodging isn’t part of the commute concerns), the office is in Jersey yet a Manhattan apartment is used as the example of how costly housing would be, and part of the fact that it’s cheaper is that she’s living with family. $2,000 savings over a summer is roughly $700 a month; she’s mainly saving money by not paying rent, and I’m not sure what $700 gets you in South Carolina.

I mean, all that said, the internship system is a scam, and I do pity any student trying to get a foothold in this economy. But it’s funny how so many of these “look at this youngster with grit, living unconventionally” stories have a back-end of privilege.

Comes by no surprise to me that billionaires suck and that they don't abide by the rules, the same rules that wealth/millionairs have previously followed.

The Nightly News with Lester Holt had a story about healthcare that made my blood boil.

The largest hospital system in the United States, HCA Healthcare has been putting high pressure on doctors and hospitals to move patients into hospice care. The reasons for this is deaths in hospice care don't count towards a hospitals mortality rate metric. And the better the mortality rate metric, the higher the hospital is rated. Which means more business and higher profit margins.

To add insult to injury, of the five largest hospital systems in the United States, HCA is the only one that ties the mortality rate metric into executive compensation.

The Nightly News with Lester Holt had a story about healthcare that made my blood boil.

The largest hospital system in the United States, HCA Healthcare has been putting high pressure on doctors and hospitals to move patients into hospice care. The reasons for this is deaths in hospice care don't count towards a hospitals mortality rate metric. And the better the mortality rate metric, the higher the hospital is rated. Which means more business and higher profit margins.

To add insult to injury, of the five largest hospital systems in the United States, HCA is the only one that ties the mortality rate metric into executive compensation.
I am not surprised.

Back