Political Discussion

Trumps approval rating is at an all time high in this weeks polls after the Senate acquitted Trump in the impeachment trial.

Some polls have him as high as 49% approval rating. The most legit polls have him at 44% approval rating.

In any event, the news is watch out. Trumps base is loud and creating a movement. The democrats have create a big movement to overcome the electoral college. Because as things stands poll wise, while democrats might have a slight lead popular vote, Trump dominates the electoral college.

Move evidence that it needs to go.

Yea, but look at how crappy those approval ratings in comparison to every other modern president. I mean consistently worse than Nixon and Ford. My god.

Yea, but look at how crappy those approval ratings in comparison to every other modern president. I mean consistently worse than Nixon and Ford. My god.

Showing results for obama's highest approval rating
Search instead for obomas highest aproval rating

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Historical comparison
OrderPresidentHighest approval
45Trump49 (2020-02-04)
44Obama69 (2009-01-24)
43G. W. Bush90 (2001-9-21)
42Clinton73 (1998-12-19)
10 more rows
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › United_States_presidential_approval_rating
United States presidential approval rating - Wikipedia

Hmm,

Or not even close to our more recent presidents. It is interesting that Trumps approval rating is going up now though and just hit an all time high.

Remember the last time Trump won it was against Hillary a very weak opponent. She suppressed turnout. The midterm was historically high. This always favors Dems. What reason do people believe this is gonna change? I don’t see one. Biden will be the only one who would suppress turnout. We saw how Iowa went for him.

Remember the last time Trump won it was against Hillary a very weak opponent. She suppressed turnout. The midterm was historically high. This always favors Dems. What reason do people believe this is gonna change? I don’t see one. Biden will be the only one who would suppress turnout. We saw how Iowa went for him.
Turnout in Iowa was low.

Turnout in Iowa was low.
The only think I can think of was day after the Super Bowl. I know that seems silly, but the Super Bowl is huge.
From what I've read it wasn't low, per se, just lower than the party wanted to see (the "enthusiasm gap") and lower than candidates like Sanders needed to separate from his opponents.

Turnout was higher than in 2016, but lower than in 2008 -- but that was a record-setting year which, if you recall, occurred in early January when more people might have still been on a holiday break. Either way, when only a couple hundred thousand voters across both parties (or just 32,000, in the case of the Repubs' foregone conclusion) participate in your primary, and anyone who's away from home/working/has other evening commitments is automatically excluded from participating, your process is already an inherent mechanism for suppressing turnout.

From what I've read it wasn't low, per se, just lower than the party wanted to see (the "enthusiasm gap") and lower than candidates like Sanders needed to separate from his opponents.

Turnout was higher than in 2016, but lower than in 2008 -- but that was a record-setting year which, if you recall, occurred in early January when more people might have still been on a holiday break. Either way, when only a couple hundred thousand voters across both parties (or just 32,000, in the case of the Repubs' foregone conclusion) participate in your primary, and anyone who's away from home/working/has other evening commitments is automatically excluded from participating, your process is already an inherent mechanism for suppressing turnout.

The requirements of the caucus stuff seems like it suppress turnout. I mean I barely have time to go to my union meetings and that affects my life more so than most of the stuff that is required of us politically.

And on that note, here's a good interview from Vox and a person I didn't know about until today but he makes some points worth remembering in spite of the sensationalist title:

Something didn’t sit right with me in the article. I think it just dawned on me. He claims to be upset because Dems have squandered everything with infighting and then proceeds to throw fuel on the fire by criticizing Bernie’s stances. This guys is a idiot.

Last edited:
Something didn’t sit right with me in the article. I think it just dawned on me. He claims to be upset because Dems have squandered everything with infighting and then proceeds to throw fuel on the fire by criticizing Bernie’s stances. This guys is a idiot.
This isn't a bad take, but I understood that more as "Do we think Bernie's platform, as he's selling it right now, will bring enough people together to guarantee Trump's removal from the White House AND keep it together for the midterms?" Which seemed to me to be a good point at the time, but at the same time it does say a lot that he doesn't really spend time on other candidtes or why Biden's not doing well.

Currently leading New Hampshire is Michael Bloomberg.

One precinct has reported. All 5 registered voters have cast their votes already this morning. Michael Bloomberg took 3 of those 5 votes, and he isn't even on the ballot in New Hampshire.

I that this was interesting enough to report when I heard it on the news.

This isn't a bad take, but I understood that more as "Do we think Bernie's platform, as he's selling it right now, will bring enough people together to guarantee Trump's removal from the White House AND keep it together for the midterms?" Which seemed to me to be a good point at the time, but at the same time it does say a lot that he doesn't really spend time on other candidtes or why Biden's not doing well.

Healthcare healthcare healthcare. Republicans haven’t done shit. They are even talking about cutting medicare. They are handing it to them. Bernie is a transformative candidate. He here to change minds and convince others, while everybody else just wants to sit back and hope just enough people like them to get into power. Bernies has an organization of everyday people behind him, not a buck of cooperate donors.

Healthcare healthcare healthcare. Republicans haven’t done shit. They are even talking about cutting medicare. They are handing it to them. Bernie is a transformative candidate. He here to change minds and convince others, while everybody else just wants to sit back and hope just enough people like them to get into power. Bernies has an organization of everyday people behind him, not a buck of cooperate donors.

I have a feeling though that talking about cutting medicare actually helps them with their base. It does with my father.

He's always been a republican. And he's very much for cutting public benefits and taxes. He's a firm believer that he's paying for the minorities to get a free ride.

He would vote to no for any public healthcare option as he doesn't want to pay for others, others being primarily minorities, out of his taxes to have coverage.

I try to explain the benefits and cost savings to him. But he can't get passed those people who will get it for free.

I have a feeling though that talking about cutting medicare actually helps them with their base. It does with my father.

He's always been a republican. And he's very much for cutting public benefits and taxes. He's a firm believer that he's paying for the minorities to get a free ride.

He would vote to no for any public healthcare option as he doesn't want to pay for others, others being primarily minorities, out of his taxes to have coverage.

I try to explain the benefits and cost savings to him. But he can't get passed those people who will get it for free.

When public benefits are cut we still pay for the problems that those cuts cause. Problems don't disappear because you aren't trying to solve them. But anyway you already know your father won't listen. Bernie isn't trying to convince your father.

I also believe my father believes his situation is the norm.

He's a retired correctional officer from the state of Connecticut. He has top tier health insurance and has it paid for by the state of Connecticut forever as part of his retirement.

Most business in the private sector do not continue to pay for you health insurance after you retire. It's done once your employment ends when you retire.

He's never had to worry about paying for health insurance or what coverage he's going to have as he gets older.

I also believe my father believes his situation is the norm.

He's a retired correctional officer from the state of Connecticut. He has top tier health insurance and has it paid for by the state of Connecticut forever as part of his retirement.

Most business in the private sector do not continue to pay for you health insurance after you retire. It's done once your employment ends when you retire.

He's never had to worry about paying for health insurance or what coverage he's going to have as he gets older.

I'm sorry! He's your father, but he's had a union job his whole life and he votes Republican, the very people that want to take his union rights away from him. They would be happy to take away his health insurance.

Last edited:
Back