Political Discussion

Republicans are all over Joe Biden for paying more attention to Ukraine than the Train wreck, both with federal spending and his "lavish trip" to Ukraine as they are calling it instead of taking care of Americans here at home in America.
I too hate the nanny state until I poop my pants.

So I guess as with any disaster, the toxic train wreck Ohio is turning into very partisan politics and scorecards.

Republicans are all over Joe Biden for paying more attention to Ukraine than the Train wreck, both with federal spending and his "lavish trip" to Ukraine as they are calling it instead of taking care of Americans here at home in America.

While Democrats all all over Republicans for budget cuts and repealing a a safety requirement that could of potentially prevented or at the minimum, mitigated this wreck.

People on the ground in Ohio are not getting enough help or answers. And this only makes them Embrace the GOP who they feel have their back more than the democrats. Kind of Ironic, because the GOP's policies very well could have contributed to this.

Trains currently use the same breaking technology invented over 150 years ago, where the break signal is passed one car at a time. Electronic breaks would sent the break signal to all cars at once allowing the train to stop faster and over shorter distances. And in the case of a derailment, it can help slow down the back of the train and prevent it from just piling up on the wreck. Makes sense right? So why don't we have it yet? Money. The Railroads don't want to pay for it. And they were successfully able to lobby for and get the Trump administration to repeal the mandate the Obama administration passed that required them for hazardous trains.

In a case like this 2.8 km long train with more than 100 cars, the break signal can take more than a full minute to reach the back of the train.
Ive worked for a railroad now for 10+ years, and throughout that time they have continued to approve trains to be longer and longer, and more and more tonnage. This is all to save money as it allows for less crew workers, and the hope for quicker transport. Then I scoff at the companies decisions as they wonder why these trains are running into more and more issues.

Also, apparently this toxic train wasn't actually classified as containing hazardous material.

Apparently they don't determine this by what type of cargo the train contains or tonnage of said of said material. More than half the trains cars have to be carrying hazardous material. And in the case of this train, the majority of cars were not. Therefor it was not classified as hazardous.

Like what's up with that @CrazyDiamond84? Is that just another efficiency of longer trains to somehow avoid this classification?

Also, apparently this toxic train wasn't actually classified as containing hazardous material.

Apparently they don't determine this by what type of cargo the train contains or tonnage of said of said material. More than half the trains cars have to be carrying hazardous material. And in the case of this train, the majority of cars were not. Therefor it was not classified as hazardous.

Like what's up with that @CrazyDiamond84? Is that just another efficiency of longer trains to somehow avoid this classification?
Yeah idk. Every car that is on our trains that carry hazardous materials are all well documented. They all have their own rules and regulations as to where they can and can't be located in the train, and can only be next to certain cars.

man that article is a gold mine:
Rep. Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, argued Thursday the state already has obscenity laws on the books.

"If you're being obscene in front of children, it is already illegal, correct? If you're wearing lederhosen and being obscene in front of children, you'll be arrested, correct?" Johnson said.

I hate this timeline.
It is truly the stupidest timeline.
At this rate, the GOP will be banning Pride before too long. Because, you know, it's common sense child safety and don't say gay.

Religion has no place in politics as it often leads to discrimination.
Let them try to ban pride down here, nope! Not gonna happen.

The first NTSB report on the toxic train is out. And we know what caused the derailment now and that this accident was completely preventable.

The cause of the derailment was a fire in a car carrying plastic pellets which was sparked by a hot axel. The axel got so hot it then failed causing the derailment.

The train had passed 2 wayside detectors that detected the hot hot axel, but did not sound an alarm because the threshold was not met. The third wayside detector did sound the alarm, but by the point the axel was too hot and it was to late.

On the Fort Wayne Line of the Keystone Division, NS has equipped their rail network with HBD systems to assess the temperature conditions of wheel bearings while en route. The function of the HBD is to detect overheated bearings and provide audible real-time warnings to train crews. Train 32N passed three HBD systems on its trip before the derailment. At MP 79.9, the suspect bearing from the 23rd car had a recorded temperature of 38°F above ambient temperature. When train 32N passed the next HBD, at MP 69.01, the bearing’s recorded temperature was 103°F above ambient. The third HBD, at MP 49.81, recorded the suspect bearing’s temperature at 253°F above ambient. NS has established the following HBD alarm thresholds (above ambient temperature) and criteria for bearings:

• Between 170°F and 200°F, warm bearing (non-critical); stop and inspect
  • A difference between bearings on the same axle greater than or equal to 115°F (non-critical); stop and inspect
  • Greater than 200°F (critical); set out railcar

At this rate, the GOP will be banning Pride before to long. Because, you know, it's common sense child safety and don't say gay.

Religion has no place in politics as it often leads to discrimination.

It is truly the stupidest timeline.

Let them try to ban pride down here, nope! Not gonna happen.

The first pride was a riot, we will happily make the next one a riot too
Right? Completely aside from the immorality of trying to ban these things, they're also being really, really stupid about it, because they're setting themselves up to have to quell absolutely massive episodes of civil disobedience that consist of, what, wearing clothes that were sold in the women's section of the store? Can somebody even give me a legal definition for "drag" please? Anybody besides this esteemed attorney I mean.

Right? Completely aside from the immorality of trying to ban these things, they're also being really, really stupid about it, because they're setting themselves up to have to quell absolutely massive episodes of civil disobedience that consist of, what, wearing clothes that were sold in the women's section of the store? Can somebody even give me a legal definition for "drag" please? Anybody besides this esteemed attorney I mean.
This is a great point. Am I in drag if I wear men’s clothes? How would anyone know if I am wearing men’s jeans or just “boyfriend” cut jeans? Or is this just targeting men in dresses? If so, isn’t that gender discrimination?

This is a great point. Am I in drag if I wear men’s clothes? How would anyone know if I am wearing men’s jeans or just “boyfriend” cut jeans? Or is this just targeting men in dresses? If so, isn’t that gender discrimination?
Well I have some bad news for my 4yo son who was wearing his sister's purple space cat PJs last night...

depends, are you looking like a cute sexy lady or are you looking like a gross mannish butch lesbian. I think you're forgetting that being gay is allowed if both chicks are hot

Well I have some bad news for my 4yo son who was wearing his sister's purple space cat PJs last night...
giphy.gif

Well fuck. I played Pretty Pretty Princess with my daughter the other night too. Would the plastic earrings and tiara send me to the gulags as well?
Right? What *is* drag? Is makeup drag? What is makeup? Something that changes my appearance or the color of my natural features? Oh, okay, so is suntan lotion makeup? Is chapstick makeup? Are colored contact lenses makeup? Is a toupee a wig? Are hair plugs a toupee?

If we want to get stupid, I can get real, real stupid. Let's go.

Back