Political Discussion

....................no seriously, can I sue 6 pack DT, honestly, because I think I hurt myself laughing so hard watching this, I think it's my spleen, not sure, but I'm buckled over and can't breath and it's all his fault.

laughing-so-hard-comedy.gif

There is a documentary on Xanax on Netflix that I just watch and it's full of good stuff and I learned a lot.

I went in expecting it to be about addition. But it's so much more than that and talks a lot about anxiety, over prescribing, withdrawals.

But the thing that stood out the most to me was the point they raised about as a society, we don't try to solve the issues with our constructs of a broken world that cause stress/anxiety, but rather we are using medications suppress the symptoms to have people accept the broken world as is.

Things like having a 4 day work week instead of a 5 day work week. Being able to turn off from working when your not working and not have to worry about repercussions of not taking care of fires off hours. Making a living wage with one job and not having to work yourself into burnout just to survive. We could fix all this and have a much better cure on mental health. But we choose not to as a society.

Being a developer this article has me screaming.

For profit companies and utilities are notorious for not updating their systems in our capitalistic society. Why spend the money to update if what they have works despite being dated, as it's just not financially responsible for the shareholders.

Now mix a billing system for a public utility, something that is overly complex for no reason other than than they designed it to be in the first place. Expect deadlines to not be met an the project to go over the clients expected budget.

But no matter, the deadline and budget is what's important, so let's launch it anyways. It's not ready yet falls on deaf ears.

For profit companies and utilities are notorious for not updating their systems in our capitalistic society. Why spend the money to update if what they have works despite being dated, as it's just not financially responsible for the shareholders.
Living this right now. My company is trying everything they can to squeeze efficiency out of it's analysts, but the analysts keep telling the company that the best way to make us more efficient is to update our servers because the old servers take a long time to upload and refresh data each month and makes us sit around and wait for data because the server gets bogged down and it's difficult to run even simple queries sometimes. They keep telling us that they don't have the resources but there's sufficient funds for shareholder dividends.

Back