Political Discussion

When I was in college there was a homeless guy that used to act like a parking attendant and take money from people parking in a public lot in downtown Cincinnati. The few times I saw him he was nearly successful in baiting people. Respected the hustle.

Posted the above from my phone earlier and now that I'm on my macbook I'm going to comment on it.

Essentially the culture war is returning over covid. Or rather to reverse any mandate still in effect or prevent such mandates to happen ever again. And the GOP isn't afraid to pull hardball. An example in this bill was the defense bill, which contained pay raises for our military. Something that is very much needed to account for inflation. However, the Dems needed GOP support to pass the bill. At least some of them. And not passing the bill would reflect very baddy on the dems. The GOP's requirement to get their vote was to eliminate the Biden administrations vaccination mandate for military personnel. No GOP vote without doing so. And vaccinations are not worth fighting over if it means failure to pass the bill. Something that would be very bad for the left.

The GOP is nothing but bullies and I fear for what tools we will have left when the next pandemic hits.

What confuses me the most about this Greta Thunberg vs. Andrew Tate business (and a lot of right-wing "fuck your feelings" rhetoric) is that Tate isn't engaging in climate denial ("global warming isn't real, human actions don't affect the climate/weather") but rather a full-throated acknowledgement that carbon emissions are bad and he simply doesn't care. There seems to be some undercurrent of "climate action is a scam to justify higher taxation," but overall it feels like it boils down to "ha ha look at these try-hards."

It boggles my mind how much of this stuff is more about spiting others than standing for something.

When I was in college there was a homeless guy that used to act like a parking attendant and take money from people parking in a public lot in downtown Cincinnati. The few times I saw him he was nearly successful in baiting people. Respected the hustle.
Some people I knew when I was a teen - of whom I may or may not have been involved - used to buy candy bars and go house to house selling them invoking a variety of charities. Brains weren't quite morally cooked back then.

I'd never even heard of him until yesterday!
Same, but judging by the article I am glad i hadn't and i don't want to hear of him again
Often in these cases I wonder what's better: the satisfaction of having known about this tool a while and seeing this arc come to a brilliantly idiotic conclusion, or the satisfaction of not knowing and only finding out once karma's dealt with him. As someone experiencing the former, it's pretty sweet, but doesn't seem worth the frustration of watching his dumb antics.

Coincidentally, I'm considering going cold turkey off Twitter in the new year.

Back