Political Discussion

Are you going to passive aggressively pass the link to your dad, or is it just not worth the headache?

Should I? Didn't even think about it. I don't see him as the type of person who would even listen to a podcast.

I would probably expect comments back on the source being MSNBC over the contents of what the podcast says because he wouldn't get that far in understanding what it's about. He'd be done as soon as he sees MSNBC.

Really interesting article about the decline of scientific innovation after economic bubble collapse.

Meanwhile, basic economic conditions have become more precarious for many people. For the past decade, the United Way’s alice program has attempted to measure how much of the population faces economic hardship, taking into account both the cost of living and available incomes. Working at the county level in about half of the United States, alice routinely finds that about 40 percent of the population struggles to make ends meet. While this reality hits some groups harder than others, it affects all races, genders, and other identities, from the majority of white populations in, for example, dying manufacturing and mining towns in Appalachia to majority black populations on the Southside of Chicago or rural Alabama. The reality of hardship plays out in places with long-standing black poverty, examined in classics like William Julius Wilson’s When Work Disappears (1996), as well as in Anne Case and Angus Deaton’s study of the more recent rise of “deaths of despair.”

In what follows, we will first review Web3 and the Metaverse. Multiple industry insiders claim that these technologies require far better infrastructure than currently exists, and that their constituent technologies of blockchain, crypto, virtual and augmented reality (VR and AR) aren’t working well by themselves. Second, we examine the economic effects of bubbles by comparing the current technology bubble to past ones. The biggest difference is that some goods did emerge from the dot-com bubble, but not from the housing bubble, and probably not much will result from the current bubble either. Third, we describe changes in America’s system of basic and applied research that might be preventing new, more useful ideas from emerging, particularly those based on advances in science. Finally, we sketch out alternative roads for future technological and economic development. The current ecology of technology, including venture capital and both corporate and university R&D, is failing society. Together, we must look for other paths forward.

Given how well AI crime prevention and AI criminal identification software works, yeah, this is really bad. Also, when did America become a Philip K Dick novel?
When!? Aren’t his novels just a projection of what was happening at the time. Which all my newfound time I need to dig out my PKD books and reeead them.

All the anti-LGBT rhetoric the past year has really been getting to me but after the latest tragedy I’m really just not able to cope with it at all. The way the right has only double down on calling gays groomers and how they outwardly attacking drag queens I just can’t take it anymore. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as doom and gloom as I do rn
Remind them about the millions of children abused by clergy.

The likelihood of being abused or groomed by a drag queen or gay person is much, much lower than by a priest/minister or family member.

He made Alex Jones uncomfortable with his overt antisemitism... Holy crap.

He is uncomfortable conversing with the type of person that he regularly panders to....oh, the irony.

Back