Political Discussion

Just got a apple news notification about student loan forgiveness from Time.

Time's opinion is the courts will strike down the student loan debt forgiveness before anyone sees any forgiveness.

The courts are very skeptical of executive actions, and based on a precedence set earlier this year by the SCOTUS the executive branch does not have this kind of power. Only congress does.

As of Monday, the student loan debt forgiveness was placed on a indefinite hold by the courts.

Just got a apple news notification about student loan forgiveness from Time.

Time's opinion is the courts will strike down the student loan debt forgiveness before anyone sees any forgiveness.

The courts are very skeptical of executive actions, and based on a precedence set earlier this year by the SCOTUS the executive branch does not have this kind of power. Only congress does.

As of Monday, the student loan debt forgiveness was placed on a indefinite hold by the courts.
Not surprising, but very disappointing.

@nolalady You might find this an interesting read as it's about current happenings in Louisiana and the rollout of broadband internet.

Government grants have been issued to roll out fiber optic broadband internet to rural areas lacking access. And surprise surprise, the cable companies are seeking to block not only tjust he roll outs, but the grants themselves as well.

I feel like I just never will get a head.

Living on my own, when I was trying to keep my student loans up to date with my high rent I ended up building up credit card debt between 4 and 7 years ago to the point where I could not keep up with my student loan payments.

Now that I'm making more money, I have been focusing on trying to pay the credit cards down. And over the last 3 years I feel like I have made no progress, it's all gone to interest and I have just been maintaining my balance even though I'm not charging anything new.

I was starting to make progress, paying about $50 over the minimum each month. I set a fixed payment with bank of america to pay my bill each month $50 over the minimum. Logged into today to make an extra payment and saw that I'm past due and had late fee of $27.

I call them to find out wtf is going on, because my payments have been going through each month. I found out two things. 1, my interest rate isn't fixed and they raised it along with the fed interest rate hikes. And 2, because I have been maintaining my balance and not making progress paying it down my minimum payment has been increased "to help my pay it down". My minimum payment since September is $100 more a month than what it was previously.

I bitched at them for not giving me any notifications of the changes or that my auto payment was insufficient. They were all like, sorry, but that's on you. It's your responsibility to keep up with those things. Not ours to keep you updated. You should be logging in every week keeping up to date with your interest rate and what your minimum due is. Logging in every few months is just plain irresponsible of you and totally on you. They won't waive the late fees.

Before the recession my credit cards wer between 8% and 12% interest rates. After they were all in the ballpark of 18%. Now they are all 24% to 28%. That is just plain highway robbery in my opinion. Other than my bank of america fixed payment coming up short in september and october. I have never missed a payment on any credit card and always have been on time. Why does my interest rates keep having to go up making it harder and harder if not impossible to pay off with my current income to rent ratio.

An, and icing on the cake. This article popped up on my Apple News feed.

Yup, just everything is getting insanely more expensive and wages are nowhere close to catching up.

I feel like I just never will get a head.

Living on my own, when I was trying to keep my student loans up to date with my high rent I ended up building up credit card debt between 4 and 7 years ago to the point where I could not keep up with my student loan payments.

Now that I'm making more money, I have been focusing on trying to pay the credit cards down. And over the last 3 years I feel like I have made no progress, it's all gone to interest and I have just been maintaining my balance even though I'm not charging anything new.

I was starting to make progress, paying about $50 over the minimum each month. I set a fixed payment with bank of america to pay my bill each month $50 over the minimum. Logged into today to make an extra payment and saw that I'm past due and had late fee of $27.

I call them to find out wtf is going on, because my payments have been going through each month. I found out two things. 1, my interest rate isn't fixed and they raised it along with the fed interest rate hikes. And 2, because I have been maintaining my balance and not making progress paying it down my minimum payment has been increased "to help my pay it down". My minimum payment since September is $100 more a month than what it was previously.

I bitched at them for not giving me any notifications of the changes or that my auto payment was insufficient. They were all like, sorry, but that's on you. It's your responsibility to keep up with those things. Not ours to keep you updated. You should be logging in every week keeping up to date with your interest rate and what your minimum due is. Logging in every few months is just plain irresponsible of you and totally on you. They won't waive the late fees.

Before the recession my credit cards wer between 8% and 12% interest rates. After they were all in the ballpark of 18%. Now they are all 24% to 28%. That is just plain highway robbery in my opinion. Other than my bank of america fixed payment coming up short in september and october. I have never missed a payment on any credit card and always have been on time. Why does my interest rates keep having to go up making it harder and harder if not impossible to pay off with my current income to rent ratio.

An, and icing on the cake. This article popped up on my Apple News feed.

Yup, just everything is getting insanely more expensive and wages are nowhere close to catching up.

Credit cards are a trap. If you’ve a sizeable balance you’ll never pay it off unless you’re massively overpaying the minimum, the interest is too high. The minimum payment is just interest servicing the credit really. The best advice is take out a consolidation loan if you can. The interest will be much lower and there is a defined end date. Cancel the credit card account and cut it up. In 2 to 5 years you should be out of the hole.

Credit cards are a trap. If you’ve a sizeable balance you’ll never pay it off unless you’re massively overpaying the minimum, the interest is too high. The minimum payment is just interest servicing the credit really. The best advice is take out a consolidation loan if you can. The interest will be lower and there is a defined end date. Cancel the credit card account and cut it up. In 2 to 5 years you should be out of the hole.

I've considered it. But that also would really negatively affect my credit. Because I rent, and don't have a mortgage, my credit score is primarily made up from my credit cards.

My credit score is based on the age of my accounts, on time status, and credit available.

If I close the account that's a negative dig in itself. But then I lose account age and credit available.

To rent most places you need to pass a credit check. So for example, if I close my accounts, then try to move when my lease is up there is a good chance I will not have a high enough credit score to get approved to rent a new place. It's a total trap.

I've considered it. But that also would really negatively affect my credit. Because I rent, and don't have a mortgage, my credit score is primarily made up from my credit cards.

My credit score is based on the age of my accounts, on time status, and credit available.

If I close the account that's a negative dig in itself. But then I lose account age and credit available.

To rent most places you need to pass a credit check. So for example, if I close my accounts, then try to move when my lease is up there is a good chance I will not have a high enough credit score to get approved to rent a new place. It's a total trap.

Don’t close the account then. Stick the card in a drawer and don’t use it. But seriously do not hold long term credit on card. Consolidate on a loan that will wipe the liability in a fixed term. You will never pay it off and the balance will often rise even with paying the minimum. Plus a properly serviced loan massively positively affects your credit score.

Don’t close the account then. Stick the card in a drawer and don’t use it. But seriously do not hold long term credit on card. Consolidate on a loan that will wipe the liability in a fixed term. You will never pay it off and the balance will often rise even with paying the minimum. Plus a properly serviced loan massively positively affects your credit score.

Already doing that. I haven't used any of my credit cards in 3 years. I use my debit card exclusively. The issue is is my payments are just barely covering interest. Pay $225 a month on one credit card. Only $5 a month actually does to principal. The rest to interest.

Closing the accounts I feel is the only way I can make any real progress. Or borrow against my 401k which financial advisors say you should avoid doing.

Already doing that. I haven't used any of my credit cards in 3 years. I use my debit card exclusively. The issue is is my payments are just barely covering interest. Pay $225 a month on one credit card. Only $5 a month actually does to principal. The rest to interest.

Closing the accounts I feel is the only way I can make any real progress. Or borrow against my 401k which financial advisors say you should avoid doing.

No I am saying take out a personal loan! Pay off the balance outright in one go consolidating the debt. The loan will be a positive on your credit score you will have a set monthly payment and you won’t owe money in 2-5 years. The credit card won’t be closed it will just have a balance of $0 whilst sat in your drawer.

The more loan you have, including on your credit cards, that also affects your credit score.

@Joe Mac is right - consolidating your loan to get a lower interest rate should be looked into seriously. In the end, you want to keep your purchasing power and not lose it all to big interest payments.

If you can be responsible, after you close out your bad cards, you can always start up another card if you make sure you always pay your balance at the end of the month. Never let any balance stay on it. That kills.

EDIT: or don't close out the card once it's paid like Joe is saying. That's better.

The more loan you have, including on your credit cards, that also affects your credit score.

@Joe Mac is right - consolidating your loan to get a lower interest rate should be looked into seriously. In the end, you want to keep your purchasing power and not lose it all to big interest payments.

If you can be responsible, after you close out your bad cards, you can always start up another card if you make sure you always pay your balance at the end of the month. Never let any balance stay on it. That kills.

EDIT: or don't close out the card once it's paid like Joe is saying. That's better.

I need to look into a loan again.

I tried last year before I got my last raise. No one would approve me because of my income to rent ratio.

I need to look into a loan again.

I tried last year before I got my last raise. No one would approve me because of my income to rent ratio.

Do you have a local credit union? If you become a member and start a little savings account with a small defined monthly payment. It doesn’t have to be a lot, I started mine 15 years ago when I was skint with €50 a month. They’ll often be a lot more relaxed about lending to their members once they’re saving with them too. Also be clear to the lender that it’s for debt consolidation, even giving an undertaking that that’s what you’ll do.

Borrowing against your 401k is a great way to go - you are paying yourself back with interest and there are no fees to take out a loan. Note that this is different than withdrawing money from your 401k which is a big no no.

A number of years ago I borrowed like $12,000 to get out of credit card debt and have had like $125 taken out of each paycheck to go directly to paying it off. I have like 5 months left and will be complete done paying myself back.

Borrowing against your 401k is a great way to go - you are paying yourself back with interest and there are no fees to take out a loan. Note that this is different than withdrawing money from your 401k which is a big no no.

A number of years ago I borrowed like $12,000 to get out of credit card debt and have had like $125 taken out of each paycheck to go directly to paying it off. I have like 5 months left and will be complete done paying myself back.

What sort of interest do you pay yourself for something like that? We don't really have anything like that here (I think) except for first time home buyers where you have 5 years IIRC to pay it back but it has no interest.

What sort of interest do you pay yourself for something like that? We don't really have anything like that here (I think) except for first time home buyers where you have 5 years IIRC to pay it back but it has no interest.
I'll have to look it up later when I get home but I don't think it's very much.

Back