Political Discussion

Yes to all of this.
Right now, I think we are on the precipice of a new wave of corporate BS because the reality of our system is that in order for us to have cheap goods, we have to exploit people and ruin our environment--but both the exploitation of people (see Myanmar) and the environmental impact are touching a record number of people around the globe and no one is happy. Net zero policies are stupid because we can't just buy credits to clean up the earth while simultaneously producing more for markets. If we become better stewards of the land, if we start constructing economies and systems based on cooperation over competition and create a world, not around the stock holder, but create a world that's best for the worker, we might be able to non-violently transition into this new piece of the Anthropocene. However, finite resources, super storms, and political unrest have spurred most people to double down on our society where we create massive waste and climate damage, because it is all we know. A move away from constant consumption would drastically reduce the coffers of very wealthy people--and thus we don't consider it viable. Watching corporations like Exxon talk about climate change or seeing H&M give some tongue in cheek acknowledgment to fast fashion, while drilling for oil or not canceling their Spring fast fashion line, has hit hypocrisy levels that I'm not sure I've seen in my lifetime. We turned away from policies like zero unemployment and redistribution in the 1960's. This would have shared prosperity among people in society. Instead, we have decided that this lovely experiment in democracy will end, as all societal experiments do, with a small amount of people holding all the wealth and having all the power. In the past, these upper classes could lean on religion to control the masses and tell them that the reason these people need to have so much more than everyone else is because they were "ordained by God". In our hedonistic society, there's not much they can do except offer bread and circus which is what the stimulus checks were. At this point, I can definitely see either the child tax credit payments going forward or new rounds of stimulus. I expect our supply chain issues to get much worse and that will couple with a very real decrease of consumer goods due to factory closures in 2020 and 2021. I think we will likely be in some sort of recession in about 5 years that will likely be due to debt defaults, and until then, I can see inflation continuing. The feds could stop the inflation, but they won't because if they raise interest rates, then the stock market will tank--because the stock market is being fueled by borrowed money and increasingly risky financial "products".
The latest issues with AWS point at the cracks in this system: I Tried to Block Amazon From My Life. It Was Impossible

A decent part of your family is toxic. You really should limit your contact with them. I also think that what you describe above happens when you attempt to reason with fanatics. Understand that there is nothing you can do to convince them. I would try to steer conversations away from anything political the next time you are home.

I managed to stay out of the conversation for the most part over Thanksgiving. I just shut up and kept to myself.

But my mother and grand mother kept firing eachother up debating and going at each other. Then asking my opinion. Leave me out of this please...

What country can I move too?
I have given serious thought to this myself. The US is really getting to the point where "the right" no longer have any conservatives in charge nor any interest in governing in a way that does not directly benefit them or their benefactors. The covid fiasco is proof enough of this. Even when handed all the correct and easy moves on a fucking platter and surrounded by experts, trump intentionally chose every wrong move both personally and in his office. Instead of taking a temporary loss with some hard choices to curtail the spread he chose tantrums and to wilfully disbelieve and negate what needed to be done. And the Republican party let him do it and even in his absence they are not being conservative in any real meaningful way. And the Democratic party still won't take any stand or take any action.

The kicker is of course money/work. The countries that would be best (NZ/Aus, Canada, Spain) are kind of full up on the IT security wonk work that I do and immigration is very difficult (except for Spain, but their economy is fucked in the extreme).

I have given serious thought to this myself. The US is really getting to the point where "the right" no longer have any conservatives in charge nor any interest in governing in a way that does not directly benefit them or their benefactors. The covid fiasco is proof enough of this. Even when handed all the correct and easy moves on a fucking platter and surrounded by experts, trump intentionally chose every wrong move both personally and in his office. Instead of taking a temporary loss with some hard choices to curtail the spread he chose tantrums and to wilfully disbelieve and negate what needed to be done. And the Republican party let him do it and even in his absence they are not being conservative in any real meaningful way. And the Democratic party still won't take any stand or take any action.

The kicker is of course money/work. The countries that would be best (NZ/Aus, Canada, Spain) are kind of full up on the IT security wonk work that I do and immigration is very difficult (except for Spain, but their economy is fucked in the extreme).
Don't forget, that if any of us were actually to follow through with moving to a different country, unless we renounce our US citizenship, we still have to pay federal income tax to the United States. The United States is the only nation in the world who taxes you based on citizenship and not where you live.

This mean you would need to budget to be able to afford paying both countries taxes, or face the risk of the United States coming after you for tax evasion. If your not paid up on your US taxes, don't expect to be able to visit the United States again.

And yes, the United States will penalize you if you don't prepay in your taxes.

"The Right" isn't the only party doing this. Increasingly the Left is looking more and more like the right, except they are for abortions and gay rights. But if we want to talk about politicians with no interest in governing in a way that does not directly benefit them or their benefactors, there are tons of examples of democrats doing the same sort of insider trading, back room politics and accepting legal bribes to directly go against what is best for their constituents.

While overall dark money spending is roughly even between the parties right now, Democrats have a clear edge in congressional races, Krumholz said. Around 65 percent of dark money TV ads in 2020 Senate races and 85 percent of dark money TV ads in House races are sponsored by liberal groups, according to Krumholz.

"Unfortunately, there has been comfort with this that has grown over time on both sides of the aisle," Krumholz said. "Nobody wants to be the sucker that is playing by the rules when someone is getting away with murder."

One large dark money group, the Sixteen Thirty Fund, has funneled millions of dollars to more than 100 liberal groups, accepting individual donations as large as $51.7 million and $26.7 million, all without having to reveal any information about who is behind those donations.

Insider and several other news organizations have this year identified 47 members of Congress who've failed to properly report their financial trades as mandated by the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act of 2012, also known as the STOCK Act.

While lawmakers who violate the STOCK Act face a fine, the penalty is usually small — $200 is the standard amount — or waived by House or Senate ethics officials. Ethics watchdogs and even some members of Congress have called for stricter penalties or even a ban on federal lawmakers from trading individual stocks, although neither has come to pass.

47 members of Congress have violated a law designed to stop insider trading and prevent conflicts-of-interest

The moral of the story is that you don't get to the senate in either party unless you can take a few bribes.

Also, it’s a pet peeve of mine that so many liberals with means are so willing cede control of this country to the fascists and flee to some fictional utopian country. Most of these underlying issues don’t disappear at the US border. There are plenty of problems everywhere and you can either choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore them (in which case why move? many choose to live in a willful ignorance right here in the USA already) or you can try to make things better for those that have less of a voice and lack the means to flee or the privilege to ignore.

Also, it’s a pet peeve of mine that so many liberals with means are so willing cede control of this country to the fascists and flee to some fictional utopian country. Most of these underlying issues don’t disappear at the US border. There are plenty of problems everywhere and you can either choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore them (in which case why move? many choose to live in a willful ignorance right here in the USA already) or you can try to make things better for those that have less of a voice and lack the means to flee or the privilege to ignore.

When I say flee to a different country I'm only Joking. If I were to move to another country it would be for other reasons.

But yes, I agree with trying to make things better. Though it's a long road ahead. Our system disadvantages us from making any progress in fighting back if we don't have money. And I would say that right there is a pet peeve of mine.

the thing is, both parties are locked in a spiral of inaction and not helping anyone who doesn't feed their machine. So, maybe the right are explicitly fascists but the left are basically ineffective quislings, unable or unwilling to help. Student loan forgiveness? nope. Unfucking the supreme court before Roe v Wade is overturned? nope. A sane national healthcare policy? nope, nope, nope. There is no real incentive or path for a third party to come in, and that's what it would take to get either the republican or democratic parties to actually make some changes for the benefit of their general constituency. The closest we came was the tea party and that was subsumed into the shitshow that is the GOP today.

and yeah, other countries have their issues -- but their social benefits and protections are actually at least intended to work. I don't know that there is anything that can be done to change the US for the better, it seems both parties are in a race toward the bottom and both are equally commited to not letting anyone else try either.

I've considered expatriating primarily for healthcare and to get my kids out of an increasingly hellish shithole. My limited research has put me in London based on the criteria by which I might actually be accepted. My work is extremely transferable although the shift to the metric system would be a little difficult since I work in construction.

I'm going to have to record NBC 10 at 11 tonight.

They have an investigation about PFAS and the lack of action by the state to regulate and eliminate it.

They said water samples from dozens of cities show extremely high levels of PFAS in the communities water supply. Levels they said that are dangerous.

They are going to talk much more about what they uncovered, the states lack of action despite talking about eliminating PFAS for years and what they plan to do about it now.

I haven't really watched much live tv at all in recent months. Everything that I do watch is streaming.

I happened to be watching the local NBC channel tonight for the first time in months to watch the local and national news.

And I could have sworn it's the middle of the election cycle with the number of political ads on.

Just before the voice started at 8:00pm I saw a political that just left me scratching my head.

It was a "tell your congressman to vote no to Bidens build back millionaires plan so New York millionaires don't get another tax cut."

The commercial started off showing the pandemic life story or a ridiculously rich white guy from New York.

It went along the lines of this guy working from home since the pandemic started. His second home. Since he was busy he couldn't be bothered with home schooling his kids so he hired a tutor. Because he couldn't pick one tutor that he thought was right for his kids he got two.

Everything was just over the top. The house was huge. The set was oozing money.

There was no indication that this was a political ad until the end. It just seemed comical at first and then at the end there was the voiceover that said "tell your congressman to vote no to Bidens build back millionaires plan so New York millionaires don't get another tax cut."

They never did say who sponsored the add. And I don't get the game here. Is this a blame your opponent for exactly what you are doing type of deal?

I don't get the whole Biden tax cuts for New York millionaires angle. The commercial was more like satire out of a late night show than a political ad.

I haven't really watched much live tv at all in recent months. Everything that I do watch is streaming.

I happened to be watching the local NBC channel tonight for the first time in months to watch the local and national news.

And I could have sworn it's the middle of the election cycle with the number of political ads on.

Just before the voice started at 8:00pm I saw a political that just left me scratching my head.

It was a "tell your congressman to vote no to Bidens build back millionaires plan so New York millionaires don't get another tax cut."

The commercial started off showing the pandemic life story or a ridiculously rich white guy from New York.

It went along the lines of this guy working from home since the pandemic started. His second home. Since he was busy he couldn't be bothered with home schooling his kids so he hired a tutor. Because he couldn't pick one tutor that he thought was right for his kids he got two.

Everything was just over the top. The house was huge. The set was oozing money.

There was no indication that this was a political ad until the end. It just seemed comical at first and then at the end there was the voiceover that said "tell your congressman to vote no to Bidens build back millionaires plan so New York millionaires don't get another tax cut."

They never did say who sponsored the add. And I don't get the game here. Is this a blame your opponent for exactly what you are doing type of deal?

I don't get the whole Biden tax cuts for New York millionaires angle. The commercial was more like satire out of a late night show than a political ad.

The Republican-aligned super PAC founded by former Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is on TV in three states, with $3 million worth of attack ads targeting three vulnerable incumbent Democratic senators.

The America Next ads hope to boost GOP efforts to win back the Senate majority in the 2022 midterm elections, with spots criticizing Sens. Mark Kelly of Arizona, Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada, and Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire.

This is targeting the TV watching crowd which are 100% never going to change their minds politically and to be frank, are kind of the lowest common denominator to begin with. Like, when I read your post and it started with you watching TV my first thought was there's your problem.

That's the commercial. But the one I saw was more generic. It didn't have a candidate listed at the end.

This morning I saw a article that had the headline of "No one with power is listening".

And that pretty much sums up our representatives today. They don't give about what their constituents want or what's best for them.

They care about maintaining their parties power, looking out for their own best interests as well as the best interests of their donors and nobody else.

This morning I saw a article that had the headline of "No one with power is listening".

And that pretty much sums up our representatives today. They don't give about what their constituents want or what's best for them.

They care about maintaining their parties power, looking out for their own best interests as well as the best interests of their donors and nobody else.
It's hard to listen to Americans who want lower pharmaceutical prices when you are being bankrolled by the pharmaceutical companies.
It's hard to listen to Americans who want Medicare for All when you are being funded by health insurance companies.
It's hard to listen to Americans who want things like a living wage, dignity at work, affordable health care, affordable educational opportunities, and a cleaner environment when you are bankrolled by the companies that would lose profit if any of these things happen.

You cannot serve two masters, thus, our politicians are going with the people that pay them the best.

It's hard to listen to Americans who want things like a living wage, dignity at work, affordable health care, affordable educational opportunities, and a cleaner environment when you are bankrolled by the companies that would lose profit if any of these things happen.

I don’t necessarily agree with this. A rising tide raises all boats. What would happen though is that stock prices would initially take a dive and that would hit directors and they bankroll the political classes.

The one that’s going to be interesting going forward is stop consuming and promoting endless consumption based growth or burn.

I don’t necessarily agree with this. A rising tide raises all boats. What would happen though is that stock prices would initially take a dive and that would hit directors and they bankroll the political classes.

The one that’s going to be interesting going forward is stop consuming and promoting endless consumption based growth or burn.
I have to point out the obvious that the historical record is that the US rabidly votes against the self interest of its own people pretty religiously since at least the Reagan administration. Unions, consumer protection, regulations, Healthcare, jobs etc, all shut down on the regular. Republican policy has been to do whatever the money says and sell it as rugged individualism to the Hoi polloi and obstruct any progressive policies by any means necessary. Which you can see even now with McConnell and trump. and the democratic party's response is middle of the road obeisance as if the Republicans are acting in good faith.

Employers also do not want Universal Healthcare even though they wouldn't need to pay for a percentage of it. Right now Healthcare keeps peoples attached to jobs. Without healthcare employers would have to increase salaries to entice people to stay or join them. Which is something they very much would not like to do.

Many corporations are lobbying against universal healthcare.

WTF is all I have to say. What a shitty reason. It's not looking good for Roe.

Also, I'd like to challenge their belief the women now have equality with men. What world are they living in?

Back