Political Discussion

80k MORE for being bilingual? What kind of salary band is that?! That's a life changing amount of money to leave on the table, if we want to talk about American workers being lazy.
I know. If what she said was actually real, and she wasn't exaggerating to make a point, I would be on babbelfish or duolingo learning Spanish the minute I heard about that. I don't understand people, Indy.

I don't doubt she's exactuating. I know my aunt makes more than 150k but I don't know what her salary is. These regional managers are often paid around $250k a year. I know my aunt isn't making that much and bitches about it a lot.

When you're talking about jobs with salaries that large, what is a 80k difference in the payband.

Looks like the GOP is threatening a shutdown again.

Several Republican Senators will not vote to extend the government budget bill unless Biden reverses the vaccine mandate.

They are holding the government budget hostage to get what they want. And end of the mandated vaccines.

Just got a court approved notice in the mail that I'm automatically part of a class action lawsuit against the healthcare group my doctor is out of and pretty much all of the medical groups in this state are part of.

Looks like I could potentially receive a couple hundred dollars over them mishandling browser cookies.

I imagine I'm automatically included because I have an account with their online portal.

Wonder how that will affect the cost of healthcare.

Why would this even be allowed under law? Was the EPA gutted that much?

I don't doubt she's exactuating. I know my aunt makes more than 150k but I don't know what her salary is. These regional managers are often paid around $250k a year. I know my aunt isn't making that much and bitches about it a lot.

When you're talking about jobs with salaries that large, what is a 80k difference in the payband.

What could I do with an extra 80k 🤷‍♂️

I saw an interesting take by a progressive local political operative. Basically you can’t convince people to change their mind on issues so the next election is just about turnout.

I saw an interesting take by a progressive local political operative. Basically you can’t convince people to change their mind on issues so the next election is just about turnout.

It's true. But to get turnout you need fire. Something to motivate people to get out to the polls

I've really come around to the idea that the political machine is not in the least representative of the people. It's bought and paid for and caters only enough to keep the guillotines collecting dust. Driving turnout at this point is about maintaining the illusion.

The one thing I have never understood about politics is why people with opposing views are most of never willing to have a intellectual discussion or debate with you. If you challenge their views they just get angry. And they don't want to speak to you.

Drives me crazy.

The one thing I have never understood about politics is why people with opposing views are most of never willing to have a intellectual discussion or debate with you. If you challenge their views they just get angry. And they don't want to speak to you.

Drives me crazy.
Maybe? I think it dpeends on approach and set and setting. I've had several clear headed and non confrontational discussions over opposing viewpoints... but never online, haha.

I'm not looking forward to 2022.

In previous months it looked like there was a good chance of losing the majority in both the house and the senate. And believe it or not, the democrats had a better shot of keeping control of the senate than the house.

The latest polls / predictions are pretty much a forgone conclusion that Republicans will take both branches. It's now looking like the Republicans could very well gain 6 seats in the senate.

Republicans are fed up with the pandemic and Joe Biden and want change. And the majority of Republicans still believe Trump's lies about the election.

What country can I move too?

Maybe? I think it dpeends on approach and set and setting. I've had several clear headed and non confrontational discussions over opposing viewpoints... but never online, haha.

When it comes to my family. Discussion in the living room while drinking wine or at the dinner table never go well. It's always your fault for not accepting their views and they don't want to discuss it with you because you are making them angry.

It's not that me, my sister or my mother are not accepting of their views. It's just any discussion that is not in line with their views is triggering. They don't take a second to consider other people's point of view. You can be consider of their views and meet them in the middle and I swear it's no better than just telling them to "f**k off, your wrong about that".

I've really come around to the idea that the political machine is not in the least representative of the people. It's bought and paid for and caters only enough to keep the guillotines collecting dust. Driving turnout at this point is about maintaining the illusion.
Yes to all of this.
Right now, I think we are on the precipice of a new wave of corporate BS because the reality of our system is that in order for us to have cheap goods, we have to exploit people and ruin our environment--but both the exploitation of people (see Myanmar) and the environmental impact are touching a record number of people around the globe and no one is happy. Net zero policies are stupid because we can't just buy credits to clean up the earth while simultaneously producing more for markets. If we become better stewards of the land, if we start constructing economies and systems based on cooperation over competition and create a world, not around the stock holder, but create a world that's best for the worker, we might be able to non-violently transition into this new piece of the Anthropocene. However, finite resources, super storms, and political unrest have spurred most people to double down on our society where we create massive waste and climate damage, because it is all we know. A move away from constant consumption would drastically reduce the coffers of very wealthy people--and thus we don't consider it viable. Watching corporations like Exxon talk about climate change or seeing H&M give some tongue in cheek acknowledgment to fast fashion, while drilling for oil or not canceling their Spring fast fashion line, has hit hypocrisy levels that I'm not sure I've seen in my lifetime. We turned away from policies like zero unemployment and redistribution in the 1960's. This would have shared prosperity among people in society. Instead, we have decided that this lovely experiment in democracy will end, as all societal experiments do, with a small amount of people holding all the wealth and having all the power. In the past, these upper classes could lean on religion to control the masses and tell them that the reason these people need to have so much more than everyone else is because they were "ordained by God". In our hedonistic society, there's not much they can do except offer bread and circus which is what the stimulus checks were. At this point, I can definitely see either the child tax credit payments going forward or new rounds of stimulus. I expect our supply chain issues to get much worse and that will couple with a very real decrease of consumer goods due to factory closures in 2020 and 2021. I think we will likely be in some sort of recession in about 5 years that will likely be due to debt defaults, and until then, I can see inflation continuing. The feds could stop the inflation, but they won't because if they raise interest rates, then the stock market will tank--because the stock market is being fueled by borrowed money and increasingly risky financial "products".

I'm not looking forward to 2022.

In previous months it looked like there was a good chance of losing the majority in both the house and the senate. And believe it or not, the democrats had a better shot of keeping control of the senate than the house.

The latest polls / predictions are pretty much a forgone conclusion that Republicans will take both branches. It's now looking like the Republicans could very well gain 6 seats in the senate.

Republicans are fed up with the pandemic and Joe Biden and want change. And the majority of Republicans still believe Trump's lies about the election.

What country can I move too?

When it comes to my family. Discussion in the living room while drinking wine or at the dinner table never go well. It's always your fault for not accepting their views and they don't want to discuss it with you because you are making them angry.

It's not that me, my sister or my mother are not accepting of their views. It's just any discussion that is not in line with their views is triggering. They don't take a second to consider other people's point of view. You can be consider of their views and meet them in the middle and I swear it's no better than just telling them to "f**k off, your wrong about that".
A decent part of your family is toxic. You really should limit your contact with them. I also think that what you describe above happens when you attempt to reason with fanatics. Understand that there is nothing you can do to convince them. I would try to steer conversations away from anything political the next time you are home.

Drives me crazy.
Believing and repeating lies and misconceptions isn't a political view IMO. Someone can believe all they want about government spending and what not. If someone starts going on about election fraud and comparing Covid restrictions to Nazis I'm definitely going to let that person know they're a moron.

Back