Political Discussion

Citing the straight GDP isn’t helpful. California has long outpaced Texas GDP by a significant amount. That doesn’t mean a whole lot. Even a 2019-2020 comparison of gdp %growth wouldn’t be a true tell. You’d have to do a longer term comparison of trends in a multitude of data points to get an accurate picture. Things like population changes, per capita changes, business openings/closings, etc before you could really determine the economic effects of the lockdowns. It’ll be even more complex to isolate the effects on small business.

Until that type of complex analysis is done we’re all just going off of anecdotes, gut feelings and personal biases.

You are right percent change would be a better measure of gdp. And a more complex study should be done.

Be done where all states were included to show trends rather than two isolated, but initial comparison doesn’t suggest that government was the problem.

Citing the straight GDP isn’t helpful. California has long outpaced Texas GDP by a significant amount. That doesn’t mean a whole lot. Even a 2019-2020 comparison of gdp %growth wouldn’t be a true tell. You’d have to do a longer term comparison of trends in a multitude of data points to get an accurate picture. Things like population changes, per capita changes, business openings/closings, etc before you could really determine the economic effects of the lockdowns. It’ll be even more complex to isolate the effects on small business.

Until that type of complex analysis is done we’re all just going off of anecdotes, gut feelings and personal biases.
The funny thing is, cities like Austin and Miami have made large inroads in the technic industry mostly at the expense of Silicon Valley due to lower cost of living and a more “business friendly” environment (lower taxes, less regulation, etc…) but beyond creating more revenue within the state it also attracts more people, and these people tend to be younger and more liberal, these people will vote for more liberal policies and policy makers that will pass laws that increase regulation and taxes, this along with major ethnic demographic shifts in both Texas and Florida will eventually land them closer to California than Arkansas and Alabama.

You are right percent change would be a better measure of gdp. And a more complex study should be done.

Be done where all states were included to show trends rather than two isolated, but initial comparison doesn’t suggest that government was the problem.
That’s my point, the raw data doesn’t show anything one way or another. Attempting to extrapolate anything out if it is more revealing of personal biases than any true conclusion. The data that would answer the question at hand simply doesn’t exist.

The funny thing is, cities like Austin and Miami have made large inroads in the technic industry mostly at the expense of Silicon Valley due to lower cost of living and a more “business friendly” environment (lower taxes, less regulation, etc…) but beyond creating more revenue within the state it also attracts more people, and these people tend to be younger and more liberal, these people will vote for more liberal policies and policy makers that will pass laws that increase regulation and taxes, this along with major ethnic demographic shifts in both Texas and Florida will eventually land them closer to California than Arkansas and Alabama.
Yes and no. A sizable contingent of those who are fleeing places like California and New York are the less liberal citizens who feel they no longer have representation. They are likely less inclined to vote for the same kinds of policies which they were fleeing. Some will be idiots and flee those places without understanding that when they vote for liberal politicians they are voting for the conditions that caused them to flee in the first place. Lather rinse repeat.

Analyses of voter trends in 2016 amd 2020 has proven that both partisan sides of the “demographics is destiny“ argument are wrong. Donald Trump captured more Black and brown voters than any Republican presidential candidate in decades. So while I don’t pretend to know what the future holds on the front, the prevailing wisdom that those cities will drag those states left shouldn’t necessarily be taken as the gospel.

That reminds me. I want to throw this prediction out now while it’s on my mind.

The Democrats are going to lose the house in 2022.

That’s my point, the raw data doesn’t show anything one way or another. Attempting to extrapolate anything out if it is more revealing of personal biases than any true conclusion. The data that would answer the question at hand simply doesn’t exist.

No your point was that government caused the problem and you came to that conclusion without any attempt to back up that assertion.

No your point was that government caused the problem and you came to that conclusion without any attempt to back up that assertion.
Jesus fucking christ.

I was referring to the post you directly quoted.

Also, I didn’t say it was the sole cause of the economic issues. In fact I did grant that the pandemic was absolutely a cause. My assertion is that the government exacerbated the problem through its actions.

From the beginning I admitted that my conclusion was based on anecdotal accounts. I didn’t attempt to back it up with data because the data doesn’t exist. The data doesn’t exist currently to either support or disprove my assertion.

In other news, woke white people need to stop saying Latinx

I hate hate hate "latinx" and mock anyone using it well past pettiness and into boorishness. It's like saying halapeeno instead of jalapeño. Spanish is a gendered language (and ñ is not n) and just because you're lazy doesn't mean you can change the rules of the language.

Interesting. Maybe not surprising given the use of "folx" by some of the same groups.
Never understood that; folks is already gender neutral. It seems like an dumb attempt at attention grabbing.

Yes and no. A sizable contingent of those who are fleeing places like California and New York are the less liberal citizens who feel they no longer have representation.
Man if you're leaving NY and CA for Austin and Miami because NY/ CA was too liberal and you want something that represents your conservative values, you are in for Bad Time.

Agreed. Mostly because they're not inspiring huge turnout or unified action. Biden is doing well but they need something splashy that will motivate people to get out and actually vote. Say what you will about racist spreadnecks but they are definitely motivated (mostly by spite, even against their self interest).

That reminds me. I want to throw this prediction out now while it’s on my mind.

I would say this is currently the expected result. The party in power usually loses seats during the midterm. If the GOP doesn’t take back the house in 2022 it would be a pretty big upset and also would likely put a nail in the coffin of MAGA as an influential portion of the GOP. Also, states that lost seat vs states that gained seat following the 2020 census favors GOP controlled states which will allow them to gerrymander districts further. It’s why many on the Left are trying to hammer through as much as possible over the remaining year and a half before Speaker McCarthy starts only allowing show votes on repealing Obamacare, banning trans athletes and Critical Race Theory from schools nationwide and cutting taxes…Oh, and all the “investigative” hearings on Hunter Biden’s laptop and all the “election fraud”.

Man if you're leaving NY and CA for Austin and Miami because NY/ CA was too liberal and you want something that represents your conservative values, you are in for Bad Time.
Haha. Fair point. I should have been clearer that I wasn’t necessarily referring to those cities in particular, but the larger trends as a whole relating to those demographic shifts.

I would say this is currently the expected result. The party in power usually loses seats during the midterm. If the GOP doesn’t take back the house in 2022 it would be a pretty big upset and also would likely put a nail in the coffin of MAGA as an influential portion of the GOP. Also, states that lost seat vs states that gained seat following the 2020 census favors GOP controlled states which will allow them to gerrymander districts further. It’s why many on the Left are trying to hammer through as much as possible over the remaining year and a half before Speaker McCarthy starts only allowing show votes on repealing Obamacare, banning trans athletes and Critical Race Theory from schools nationwide and cutting taxes…Oh, and all the “investigative” hearings on Hunter Biden’s laptop and all the “election fraud”.
Gridlock we can believe in.

Not if they all die from refusing to get vaccinated

It's looking like the new eviction moratorium could be struck down as soon as next week by the courts.

Lawyers for a group of landlords are using Bidens words against him in court. That Biden called this new moratorium a "delay tactic" and that Biden himself doesn't think it will hold up.
"I got on the phone and contacted a number of constitutional scholars I've relied on for years beyond my own team, and there was a split," Biden said Thursday on the South Lawn, where he was promoting electric vehicles. "And the consensus of the folks that I have used the most said, 'We think you have the authority to do it.'"

"But in this court," Biden added, "who knows?"

The majority of the rental assistance funds still has not been used. And this delay tactic was meant to buy people more time for that money to reach them. But if it is stuck down next week, it likely will not have any meaningful effect. States are simply taking way to long to distribute that money and landlords don't want to wait for it.

Many corporate landlords can get money from a new renter than by keeping their current tenant. And it is often built into their leases if you ever are not paid up in full by x amount of days from the due date you are going to be evicted. And it's not negotiable. Corporate landlords are using these terms of their leases to evict current residence to raise rent. The property management company of my current apartment have in the lease that if I'm ever more than 7 days late on the rent it's an automatic eviction.

When it comes to private landlords of a property or few, a lot of them need money now. They are behind on their mortgage because rent hasn't been paid. They can't wait 3 or 4 months for the government to pay the back rent. They need it now. So they are trying to cut their losses and get a new tenant.

Any area with rent control is likely to see the highest rates of evictions. Rent has been soaring across the country minus a couple cities like NYC. Rent control is supposed to keep housing affordable, but landlords are using the pandemic to reset rent to higher levels. So the pandemic essentially turned rent control into motivation to evict.

It really frees Texas and Florida up to beg for other things instead.

On the bright side, the lack of a public health emergency being declared in Florida means that Florida's governor does not have the power to issue the mask mandate ban in public schools. Legal experts are saying his ban and threats to cut state funding to schools who have a mask mandate will not hold up in court without a public health emergency being in place.

With DeSantis doubling down at resisting issuing mandates or declaring a public health emergency this at least gives local counties a d school districts to issue their own mandates. But they likely have to be willing to go to court over it.

DeSantis' fall back plane is to have the state pay for any student to attend private school / parents to be able to pull their kids out of public school over mask mandates.

DeSantis' fall back plane is to have the state pay for any student to attend private school / parents to be able to pull their kids out of public school over mask mandates.
I freaking hate this view.
For my oldest, he gets so many services through the public school that if we were to just take him out and put him in a private school:

1. We would have to find a private school that takes moderately functioning ASD kids--not low functioning, there are tons of private institutions for individuals with severe ASD, but a moderate case that needs things like social training, and specialized IEP goals to address his sensory and developmental difficulties.

2. This magic school needs to be in our price range.

Very few private schools will take kids that need IEPs. Their IEPs are federally required for individuals with disabilities, and though the private schools can get state therapists in the school for services, many don't like dealing with the hassle of this, and they really don't like kids like this bringing their scores down or taking up too much of the teacher's time. There's really no equivalent to the classroom and the services my son gets at a public school. Private schools are eager to take gifted students, but they do everything they can to try to avoid the other side of the SpEd coin.

I freaking hate this view.
For my oldest, he gets so many services through the public school that if we were to just take him out and put him in a private school:

1. We would have to find a private school that takes moderately functioning ASD kids--not low functioning, there are tons of private institutions for individuals with severe ASD, but a moderate case that needs things like social training, and specialized IEP goals to address his sensory and developmental difficulties.

2. This magic school needs to be in our price range.

Very few private schools will take kids that need IEPs. Their IEPs are federally required for individuals with disabilities, and though the private schools can get state therapists in the school for services, many don't like dealing with the hassle of this, and they really don't like kids like this bringing their scores down or taking up too much of the teacher's time. There's really no equivalent to the classroom and the services my son gets at a public school. Private schools are eager to take gifted students, but they do everything they can to try to avoid the other side of the SpEd coin.

And since IDEA is not fully funded kids with disabilities get even more of the short stick. A large portion of discretionary funds that accompanied the non SPED kid to the private school are no longer spent on SPED services.

How in the fucking fuck can anyone be so cavalier with literally the most vulnerable people in their charge, children and those unable to get vaccinated. Florida will provide private school vouchers to students who don't want to wear face masks -- he's redefining "bullying" to include covid-19 mask shaming, including school mandates to wear masks.

Swear to god someone needs to airdrop him into the middle of the everglades.

How in the fucking fuck can anyone be so cavalier with literally the most vulnerable people in their charge, children and those unable to get vaccinated. Florida will provide private school vouchers to students who don't want to wear face masks -- he's redefining "bullying" to include covid-19 mask shaming, including school mandates to wear masks.

Swear to god someone needs to airdrop him into the middle of the everglades.
“Think of the children“ will forever ring hollow and be an ineffective argument when used by someone on the left for a policy position to someone on the right.It is so ineffective in fact, that it is actually quite counterproductive.

***This is not directed at you personally in any way. I’m just making an observation about the statement itself.***

Last edited:
“Think of the children“ will forever ring hollow and be an ineffective argument when used by someone on the left for a policy position to someone on the right.It is so ineffective in fact, that it is actually quite counterproductive.
haven't you heard, masks are suffocating our children...

(cue biggest eye roll ever)

Back