Political Discussion

Isn't 4chan and 9Gag worse? Never been on them so I wouldn't know, but I have heard some things about them.
Those are trolls and edgelords doing and saying shit for laughs. They’re easy to ignore and corps and politicians don’t bend to their will.

The folks on Twitter and Reddit are for real and have the ear of the power structures. That’s waaaaaaaay worse.

Those are trolls and edgelords doing and saying shit for laughs. They’re easy to ignore and corps and politicians don’t bend to their will.

The folks on Twitter and Reddit are for real and have the ear of the power structures. That’s waaaaaaaay worse.

I still find bookface to be the cradle of all evil. I find the others a bit easier to curate an experience away from the awfulness whereas bookface’s entire business model has been pushing that at you provoke rolling engagement. Also it appears to be the place that rubs it in your face hard that almost all humans that you’ve ever known or liked are horrendous.

I still find bookface to be the cradle of all evil. I find the others a bit easier to curate an experience away from the awfulness whereas bookface’s entire business model has been pushing that at you provoke rolling engagement. Also it appears to be the place that rubs it in your face hard that almost all humans that you’ve ever known or liked are horrendous.
When I rejoined Facebook this past year after several years away, I became very intentional about how I used it. I know I have to be very frustrating to the algorithm. I mostly use it for groups surrounding specific types of businesses. As far as my “friends“ list it’s only got people in it that I actually maintain personal relationships with. Just because I knew you in high school, or you’re my second cousin three times removed, isn’t a reason for you to be there. I don’t have any need or care what those people are doing with their lives or what they think about the latest outrage of the day.

When I rejoined Facebook this past year after several years away, I became very intentional about how I used it. I know I have to be very frustrating to the algorithm. I mostly use it for groups surrounding specific types of businesses. As far as my “friends“ list it’s only got people in it that I actually maintain personal relationships with. Just because I knew you in high school, or you’re my second cousin three times removed, isn’t a reason for you to be there. I don’t have any need or care what those people are doing with their lives or what they think about the latest outrage of the day.

I kinda do that with Instagram, family and close friends and seeing photos. The emphasis on photos over comment helps too. After the meltdown that was 2016 I don’t think I could ever go back to using Facebook.

I joined Facebook once about 8 years ago, after my Niece was born I literally deleted the account 5 minutes later. I was immediately bombarded with horrible “friend suggestions” and could just imagine who they were suggesting that I become friends with on the other side. Also, the hoops they made me jump through to actually delete my account as opposed to merely deactivating it was fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find that fine line with Facebook. This past year really made me realize the superficial relationships on Facebook aren't healthy. I remember my wife being upset that others were taking vacations when we weren't able to due to her not having a job and us not needing to spend frivolously. Then I also realized I as well was comparing us to others which isn't healthy. We've been going through a hard time with one of our kids due to the pandemic, online learning, and teendom. I was finding myself looking back at those memories Facebook serves up of happier times. The catch though is those weren't always happier times. It was just the highlights of happy times that we put out for others to see. I need to deal with the here and now and not worry about how thing used to be. I told my wife that after the school year is over, as I have school related responsibilities that I still use Facebook for, that I was going to either delete or suspend my Facebook account. I really don't enjoy the people content of it any longer. I really enjoy the curated content I have like news about my sports teams, hobbies like record collecting, and other things I'm generally interested in that don't involve seeing what other people I know are doing. I was thinking I might create a new account that has no friends and is just that content. I've already deleted Facebook off my phone.

Wow, this is absolute craziness.

The DUP are the largest unionist party in the north. They grew out of free Presbyterian and are extremely hard right on religious and social issues are extremely anti-Dublin. They are also the only pro brexit party in the north. They sunk May’s deal on those lines betting on Boris’ promise of no border down the Irish Sea.

Reversing those protocols is the DUPs biggest goal (well alongside resisting the implementation of abortion as decreed by U.K. courts and trying to overturn a similar U.K. court ban on conversion therapy but we digress) right now.
Ah yes, the DUP are insistent that NI should not be any different or divergent to GB, other than the exemptions they want for things they don't like.

Israel bombed the press in the Gaza strip :oops:
That’s obviously terrible but it’s a bit disheartening that the bombing of an empty building is treated as more newsworthy than more than the 40+ Palestinian children that have been killed in these attacks thus far.

I don't know if that's real or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Why is the United States in bed with Israel? What's at stake?

I'm trying to find that fine line with Facebook. This past year really made me realize the superficial relationships on Facebook aren't healthy. I remember my wife being upset that others were taking vacations when we weren't able to due to her not having a job and us not needing to spend frivolously. Then I also realized I as well was comparing us to others which isn't healthy. We've been going through a hard time with one of our kids due to the pandemic, online learning, and teendom. I was finding myself looking back at those memories Facebook serves up of happier times. The catch though is those weren't always happier times. It was just the highlights of happy times that we put out for others to see. I need to deal with the here and now and not worry about how thing used to be. I told my wife that after the school year is over, as I have school related responsibilities that I still use Facebook for, that I was going to either delete or suspend my Facebook account. I really don't enjoy the people content of it any longer. I really enjoy the curated content I have like news about my sports teams, hobbies like record collecting, and other things I'm generally interested in that don't involve seeing what other people I know are doing. I was thinking I might create a new account that has no friends and is just that content. I've already deleted Facebook off my phone.
Tell your wife she isn't the only one who had to stop scrolling other people's feeds and coming out depressed. We also went through a tough time with money and with 2 kids on the autism spectrum, quarantine was hard for us. I deactivated FB around this time last year and I don't regret it.

Tell your wife she isn't the only one who had to stop scrolling other people's feeds and coming out depressed. We also went through a tough time with money and with 2 kids on the autism spectrum, quarantine was hard for us. I deactivated FB around this time last year and I don't regret it.

I get where you all are coming from...FB is all braggers and complainers it seems. Oh, and advertisers, which was me. I used it almost daily to push the band - merch, gigs, new videos - and realized I was just spamming most of the time. But, with many of the gigs we booked, having an FB account was necessary to set up an event. Once the pandemic hit and I didn't have gigs booked, I finally was able to stop checking FB daily, then I only checked in once a week or so. Now I barely think about it, and yet still haven't ditched my account.

I like your approach @Chucktshoes with the streamlined friend list. I just know that once the band gets busy again I'll likely want the outreach that FB provides...but I'm very reluctant to dive back in.

Back