Political Discussion

Voters voted for medicaid expansion during the general election in Missouri. Missouri's governor nixed the measure stating it doesn't have a revenue source of funding authority from the General Assembly.

In other words, they are ignoring what voters voted for, didn't figure out how to fund it and copping out with it's not funded.
Our politicians have always lied to voters. It just seems way more blatant lately.

I remember reading an article about 20 years ago about the state of the roads and bridges in this country. It horrified me. The bridge in Memphis is just the tip of the iceberg and I'm honestly surprised we haven't had a larger tragedy by now.

I remember reading an article about 20 years ago about the state of the roads and bridges in this country. It horrified me. The bridge in Memphis is just the tip of the iceberg and I'm honestly surprised we haven't had a larger tragedy by now.

We did have a larger tragedy back in 2007

Interesting to see the actual structural issues being talked about. That shit looks extra serious. You never really know. It's terrible it got that bad, it's great it hasn't just collapsed with people on it. But also, I'm kind of relieved it's not much ado about nothing. 2 months is actually lightning fast for something of this scope.

His surname is Poots though. The jokes almost write themselves.

I’m hoping that the best case scenario is that the moderate unionist voters now abandon the DUP at elections and that that party of the damned shrinks in influence.

I worry that the fear of that handing Sinn Fein power will lead to them continuing to vote that way and relations the north coming to a head. And when things come to a head in the north the lunatics aren’t far away ready to kick things off again.

There is some questions right now as to whether the courts should grant Derek Chauvin a new trial over the murder of George Floyd.

His attorneys are for sure asking for one, and may republicans agree with the reasoning. That one of the jurors was not impartial. The juror was Brandon Mitchell, a blank man who has recently has had a photo of him wearing a BLM shirt surfaced on social media. Brandon Mitchell, the juror, does not remember owning or ever wearing the shirt.

I really hope that the trial stands and they don't grant him a new trial.

So the new leader of the largest party in the north is a young Earth creationist. This is not going to end well...

Poots, 55, is a young Earth creationist from the party’s conservative Christian wing who believes the planet is 6,000 years old, a belief that could impede the party’s effort to court new voters.

^^^It's nice to know that other countries have crazy politicians too.

I had read a little bit about the issues the UK is having with the EU and fishing rights. What's going on with the post-Brexit Irish sea border? Do you think this guy is going to be able to cool down the temperature or not?

Poots, 55, is a young Earth creationist from the party’s conservative Christian wing who believes the planet is 6,000 years old, a belief that could impede the party’s effort to court new voters.

^^^It's nice to know that other countries have crazy politicians too.

I had read a little bit about the issues the UK is having with the EU and fishing rights. What's going on with the post-Brexit Irish sea border? Do you think this guy is going to be able to cool down the temperature or not?

His party are absolutists whose brinkmanship when propping up the weak Tory government of May prevented a more measured Brexit. They gambled on Boris and left the north neither in or out of the eu or Britain because of the requirement for an open boarder on brexit.

He is from the hard conservative end of that party. Despite his ludicrous religious views he’s a smart man and canny political operator. His modus operandi will be ending the protocol the north is under to reintegrate it fully with the rest of the U.K. That would have huge consequences on the possibility of the open Irish border which is going to ramp up tensions on the other side.

The whole hard brexit is a nightmare on this island.

His party are absolutists whose brinkmanship when propping up the weak Tory government of May prevented a more measured Brexit. They gambled on Boris and left the north neither in or out of the eu or Britain because of the requirement for an open boarder on brexit.

He is from the hard conservative end of that party. Despite his ludicrous religious views he’s a smart man and canny political operator. His modus operandi will be ending the protocol the north is under to reintegrate it fully with the rest of the U.K. That would have huge consequences on the possibility of the open Irish border which is going to ramp up tensions on the other side.

The whole hard brexit is a nightmare on this island.
So legally speaking Ireland is neither in or out of the EU--this is fascinating. How are y'all even importing and exporting things?

If he does steer the north to reintegrate with the rest of the UK, then they would have to close the border with the EU, but aren't you already feeling the ramifications of Brexit even if you aren't legally under that Brexit umbrella?

So legally speaking Ireland is neither in or out of the EU--this is fascinating. How are y'all even importing and exporting things?

If he does steer the north to reintegrate with the rest of the UK, then they would have to close the border with the EU, but aren't you already feeling the ramifications of Brexit even if you aren't legally under that Brexit umbrella?

No Ireland is in the EU. We’re a separate jurisdiction to the U.K.

Northern Ireland is a part of the U.K. Because of the Good Friday agreement there are certain protocols in place that create an open border between the countries and bodies that deal with common areas (fisheries/environment/some rail & road infrastructure etc).

To close that border or put customs checks on it would risk inflaming tensions and creating targets. Therefore closing the border was a red line for Ireland and the EU in the negotiations.

Had Britain remained in the customs Union but left the EU that’s not a problem. Theresa May had a deal very close to that but to get a majority in parliament she got into bed with the DUP.

The DUP are the largest unionist party in the north. They grew out of free Presbyterian and are extremely hard right on religious and social issues are extremely anti-Dublin. They are also the only pro brexit party in the north. They sunk May’s deal on those lines betting on Boris’ promise of no border down the Irish Sea.

Boris isn’t someone you trust. He got a majority in the last election and didn’t need the DUP for the balance of that power. No customs border in Ireland was a EU red line. To get hard brexit across the line he sold out the DUP. He created a situation where NI is in the U.K. but unlike the rest of the Union in Britain it is still in the customs Union and so there is supply line and economic chaos in the north.

Reversing those protocols is the DUPs biggest goal (well alongside resisting the implementation of abortion as decreed by U.K. courts and trying to overturn a similar U.K. court ban on conversion therapy but we digress) right now.

Last edited:
No Ireland is in the EU. We’re a separate jurisdiction to the U.K.

Northern Ireland is a part of the U.K. Because of the Good Friday agreement there are certain protocols in place that create an open border between the countries and bodies that deal with common areas (fisheries/environment/some rail & road infrastructure etc).

To close that border or put customs checks on it would risk inflaming tensions and creating targets. Therefore closing the border was a red line for Ireland and the EU in the negotiations.

Had Britain remained in the customs Union but left the EU that’s not a problem. Theresa May had a deal very close to that but to get a majority in parliament she got into bed with the DUP.

The DUP are the largest unionist party in the north. They grew out of free Presbyterian and are extremely hard right on religious and social issues are extremely anti-Dublin. They are also the only pro brexit party in the north. They sunk May’s deal on those lines betting on Boris’ promise of no border down the Irish Sea.

Boris isn’t someone you trust. He got a majority in the last election and didn’t need the DUP for the balance of that power. No customs border in Ireland was a EU red line. To get hard brexit across the line he sold out the DUP. He created a situation where NI is in the U.K. but unlike the rest of the Union in Britain it is still in the customs Union and so there is supply line and economic chaos in the north.

Reversing those protocols is the DUPs biggest goal (well alongside resisting the implementation of abortion as decreed by U.K. courts and trying to overturn a similar U.K. court ban on conversion therapy but we digress) right now.
what.a.mess.
And of course no one has a timeline of how long any of this will take to straighten out. Meanwhile, are you able to get the things you need? Is it like here where we have some temporary shortages and reduced choice of products, but we have what is needed for people to survive?

Banking on a politician to keep his word is a really bad bet.

what.a.mess.
And of course no one has a timeline of how long any of this will take to straighten out. Meanwhile, are you able to get the things you need? Is it like here where we have some temporary shortages and reduced choice of products, but we have what is needed for people to survive?

Banking on a politician to keep his word is a really bad bet.

No we are fine down here our supply lines are still open. In fact we’ve been putting on extra ferries direct to France to avoid the backlogs at Dover. Long term the EU is going to have to support the diversification of our markets because Britain remains our largest customer but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Ireland was for a long time the poster boy for the transformative effect of the EU on small countries with weaker economies. We’re going to see how much that matter to the EU frugal four, they royally fucked us after the banking crisis in 2007/08.

The north is a mess though. Their supermarkets are British owned and the markets for a lot of the their produce is British.

There is some questions right now as to whether the courts should grant Derek Chauvin a new trial over the murder of George Floyd.

His attorneys are for sure asking for one, and may republicans agree with the reasoning. That one of the jurors was not impartial. The juror was Brandon Mitchell, a blank man who has recently has had a photo of him wearing a BLM shirt surfaced on social media. Brandon Mitchell, the juror, does not remember owning or ever wearing the shirt.

I really hope that the trial stands and they don't grant him a new trial.
I’ve been following this story and this juror has not only pretty much single handedly created grounds for a new trial, he’s also at a fair risk of facing a perjury charge.

He couldn’t have done any more damage if he had been hired by Chauvin’s legal team. Complete shit show.

I’ve been following this story and this juror has not only pretty much single handedly created grounds for a new trial, he’s also at a fair risk of facing a perjury charge.

He couldn’t have done any more damage if he had been hired by Chauvin’s legal team. Complete shit show.

Is there more to it than what I heard today? I haven't been following it and heard of it for the first time this afternoon.

Eh, it all sounds like pretty standard Defense Attorney tactics. This dude explains it pretty well.

Eh, it all sounds like pretty standard Defense Attorney tactics. This dude explains it pretty well.

I’m not a lawyer so I won’t say much other than he presents a pretty surface level summary to say it won’t happen. The other stuff I’ve watched dug into it a little deeper to present why it could go either way.

I’m not a lawyer so I won’t say much other than he presents a pretty surface level summary to say it won’t happen. The other stuff I’ve watched dug into it a little deeper to present why it could go either way.
I am not a lawyer either (thank gawd). Seems like there’s some of the Anti Anti-Chauvin folks on the Right are pushing this narrative as a talking point argument so their followers can claim that the fix was in the whole time . The Left hasn’t said too much about it and Legal Twitter seems pretty dismissive of the argument. But who knows, stranger things have happened.

I am not a lawyer either (thank gawd). Seems like there’s some of the Anti Anti-Chauvin folks on the Right are pushing this narrative as a talking point argument so their followers can claim that the fix was in the whole time . The Left hasn’t said too much about it and Legal Twitter seems pretty dismissive of the argument. But who knows, stranger things have happened.
Eh, I stay off of Twitter it’s a cesspool of the worst kind of people only possibly beat by Reddit for the crown of the worst of the worst.

Back