Political Discussion

Was it a museum or art gallery that wanted to loan trump the gold toilet for the white house?

Maybe they should loan it to the CPAC so the golden Trump has a golden throne.

Was it a museum or art gallery that wanted to loan trump the gold toilet for the white house?

Maybe they should loan it to the CPAC so the golden Trump has a golden throne.
The last 5 years I've sat here scratching my head wondering if this is all really happening...............that continues with the CPAC "Extravaganza", or is carnival more appropriate.

What is it about public transportation access that decreases property values in many cities in the United States rather than increasing property values.

In Boston, a future public transportation need to the Seaport District, which has been booming in development for the last 20 years is badly needed as there currently are no direct links by subway / rapid transportation to that area the the city. It used to be all industrial.

There is an old freight line to this section of the city that does connect to the red line. It's been out of service for about 30 years now and is now owned by the MBTA / MassDOT with one caveat. Half way down the rail line there is an old rail yard that the former railroad sold off in the 80's when it was going through bankruptcy. This was before the MBTA owned the line. The lot included the rail ROW but included an easement to allow freight service to continue along the ROW.

The issue is now, that original easement never said Passenger rail, Subway, light rail or rapid transportation. It was very specific about the type of freight that was allowed to be transported. The owner of the lot is currently building high end luxury condos on the property and is fighting tooth and nail to prevent public transportation from ever using this easement stating it will reduce their property values. Their fight is that the easement doesn't allow for this type of use and it has been holding up in court. They successfully have blocked the line from being upgraded to test new Red Line trains. And the upgraded track for testing the new trains were supposed to be the phase in bringing a rapid transportation line to this old freight line by 2040. There is no freight prospect of ever returning to this line. The only possible future use other than abandonment is public transportation. And it seems very clear the developers would like to see it abandoned.

At least in the Boston Area and suburbs, if it's an afluent area public transportation reduces property values and people oppose bringing it in. If it's a neighborhood made up of mostly minorities and affordable housing, it increases the property value and prices these people out. Why is that?

What is it about public transportation access that decreases property values in many cities in the United States rather than increasing property values.

In Boston, a future public transportation need to the Seaport District, which has been booming in development for the last 20 years is badly needed as there currently are no direct links by subway / rapid transportation to that area the the city. It used to be all industrial.

There is an old freight line to this section of the city that does connect to the red line. It's been out of service for about 30 years now and is now owned by the MBTA / MassDOT with one caveat. Half way down the rail line there is an old rail yard that the former railroad sold off in the 80's when it was going through bankruptcy. This was before the MBTA owned the line. The lot included the rail ROW but included an easement to allow freight service to continue along the ROW.

The issue is now, that original easement never said Passenger rail, Subway, light rail or rapid transportation. It was very specific about the type of freight that was allowed to be transported. The owner of the lot is currently building high end luxury condos on the property and is fighting tooth and nail to prevent public transportation from ever using this easement stating it will reduce their property values. Their fight is that the easement doesn't allow for this type of use and it has been holding up in court. They successfully have blocked the line from being upgraded to test new Red Line trains. And the upgraded track for testing the new trains were supposed to be the phase in bringing a rapid transportation line to this old freight line by 2040. There is no freight prospect of ever returning to this line. The only possible future use other than abandonment is public transportation. And it seems very clear the developers would like to see it abandoned.

At least in the Boston Area and suburbs, if it's an afluent area public transportation reduces property values and people oppose bringing it in. If it's a neighborhood made up of mostly minorities and affordable housing, it increases the property value and prices these people out. Why is that?
Gonna take a stab at this. If you’re rich you a) likely don’t need public transportation and you likely don’t won’t poor people around you, especially your neighborhood. If you’re poor and public transportation moves in it brings more non poor traffic to the area which drives businesses to increase presence which drives interest to middle class as they want convenience and can afford housing the poor cannot. The great scourge of the middle class is the suburban commute.

Gonna take a stab at this. If you’re rich you a) likely don’t need public transportation and you likely don’t won’t poor people around you, especially your neighborhood. If you’re poor and public transportation moves in it brings more non poor traffic to the area which drives businesses to increase presence which drives interest to middle class as they want convenience and can afford housing the poor cannot. The great scourge of the middle class is the suburban commute.

When it comes to gentrification I don't even think of the middle class when it comes to Boston. I think of the upper middle class and the wealthy moving into neighborhoods.

Assembly square for example, they turned an old train yard into high end retail, office space and apartments with it's very own orange line station. A brand new station stop for this development.

Rent in these apartments starts at no less than 4k a month. There really are no more true minority communities in Boston or right out side. They have all been priced out with high rent and property taxes.

I don't think of public transportation as being for the poor. That's a bad stigma it still carries though, only the poor and minorities use it as well as college students. But it really has turned into commuter services for the working middle class and is really the only method of transportation I can afford into Boston to work each day. I certainly can't afford $1200 a month reserved spaces in garages or $50 a day parking. And if you park on the street with metered parking, besides good luck finding a spot, you have to move your car every 4 hours to avoid a ticket.

Meanwhile I see people driving into work in the Jaguars, corvettes and what not each day who have private reserved parking spots in the building they work at paid for by work.

The affluent areas keep blocking the expansion of public transportation and oppose it. Especially to the north side of the city as there are a lot of affluent neighborhoods there. And them blocking the public transportation only hurts people like me who live way outside of Boston on the north side looking to commute in to work.

I wonder if it's still very much racist in nature. Lexington and Concord block the Red Line expansion into their communities in the early 80's in favor of a bike path. The Red Line coming to those communities was a popular proposal until someone looked at a map and saw the other end of the Red Line connected to communities filled with "undesirables". Then those communities took a 180 very fast and it was "not in our community".

When it comes to gentrification I don't even think of the middle class when it comes to Boston. I think of the upper middle class and the wealthy moving into neighborhoods.

Assembly square for example, they turned an old train yard into high end retail, office space and apartments with it's very own orange line station. A brand new station stop for this development.

Rent in these apartments starts at no less than 4k a month. There really are no more true minority communities in Boston or right out side. They have all been priced out with high rent and property taxes.

I don't think of public transportation as being for the poor. That's a bad stigma it still carries though, only the poor and minorities use it as well as college students. But it really has turned into commuter services for the working middle class and is really the only method of transportation I can afford into Boston to work each day. I certainly can't afford $1200 a month reserved spaces in garages or $50 a day parking. And if you park on the street with metered parking, besides good luck finding a spot, you have to move your car every 4 hours to avoid a ticket.

Meanwhile I see people driving into work in the Jaguars, corvettes and what not each day who have private reserved parking spots in the building they work at paid for by work.

The affluent areas keep blocking the expansion of public transportation and oppose it. Especially to the north side of the city as there are a lot of affluent neighborhoods there. And them blocking the public transportation only hurts people like me who live way outside of Boston on the north side looking to commute in to work.

I wonder if it's still very much racist in nature. Lexington and Concord block the Red Line expansion into their communities in the early 80's in favor of a bike path. The Red Line coming to those communities was a popular proposal until someone looked at a map and saw the other end of the Red Line connected to communities filled with "undesirables". Then those communities took a 180 very fast and it was "not in our community".

I think that when they were improving PT access in LA it was actually increasing property value. The train to the beach was a big deal. I loved taking the train to the Staples Center to go see the Kings. Now I’m about an 1.5 hour drive from my current sports team, LA Galaxy.

I’m not saying anything I haven’t said before, but the grand experiment that was the Republic of the United States of America is already dead. It just hasn’t quite stopped moving yet.
This got me thinking. What did America get right and what did we get wrong? Where were turning points? Is all this inevitable? Is it particular to America or just part of how humanity works?

I didn't realize this was part of the stimulus bill, and I guess it isn't any longer. But democrats has a proposed tax that would tax companies who pay minimum wage. It was meant give companies a text incentive to raise their minimum wage above the federal minimum wage.

However, this too was opposed by some democrats and concessions needed to be made to get the stimulus bill done.

I’m not saying anything I haven’t said before, but the grand experiment that was the Republic of the United States of America is already dead. It just hasn’t quite stopped moving yet.
Yep, also RIP the middle class, because that's gone too.
💯 And since the middle class is dead, we have a bunch of rich people opposing public transportation because it might bring the unwashed masses to their doors. People are commuting into cities to work menial jobs. I know people who commute from the "poor side" of the suburbs to the "rich side" of the suburbs because grocery store cashiers don't make enough money to live in the suburb (not the city, but the suburb of the city) where they work. The argument against public transport is a weak one, but the people making the decisions to allocate resources are all the rich people who don't want public transportation.

Yeah, the people in Boston that can afford all this aren't middle class. They would like to believe they are, but they are in the top 10%.
This got me thinking. What did America get right and what did we get wrong? Where were turning points? Is all this inevitable? Is it particular to America or just part of how humanity works?
ooooooooooooooooo
this is too much to unpack. I think one of our big mistakes was when we decided not to nationalize healthcare. But as far as when things really started to go wrong, probably around the 1970's when people were clamoring for privatization of government functions. Couple that with lax regulators that decided to look the other way instead of imposing the anti-trust laws that are already on the books, and you got a playground for monopolies. Competition decreased during this time as did American innovation. Worker protections slowly died along with most of our unions, and jobs were shipped overseas.

I think part of where we messed up was during this time when we decided that we were okay with products made a world away by people who were not being properly compensated for their time because it was cheaper. I think that's when we lost our soul. We, as Americans, touted our can do spirit and ingenuity. We showed the rest of the world that it didn't matter who you were, just how hard you worked. This was novel because at the time, the only way people got ahead was to be born into it (for the most part). For the first time, everyone was on equal-ish footing (we won't touch on race here but yes, that did and still does play a big part). Then we, as a society, decided that it was okay to ship some factories over seas, but we retained our ideas and ideals that workers should be compensated fairly and treated with respect. We started getting cheap goods, but we also started realizing that workers weren't exactly being compensated or treated the way we compensate/treat our workers, and instead of reversing course or insisting on better conditions, we looked the other way. It was cheaper, easier and more convenient for us, and I really think that was the beginning of the end.

This opened the door for all sorts of financier based capitalism, and eventually, it became (and is now) easier to make money on interest, loans, or rent than it is to make money making things. So people stopped pouring time into product innovation and started looking at how to make money using predatory financial products. Capital investments are not being used to open factories; but instead to buy cryptocurrencies or stock options. We are in a system where financial voodoo is currency instead of actual production. This is largely due to wages being stagnant and decoupled from the economy (and wages could become stagnant and decoupled thanks to monopolies). It's no longer worth people's time to work low wage jobs because these wages could get in the way of government entitlements.

Please realize that this is all based on me reading a bunch of things and thinking about them, so none of this is verified in any way, but if you want to know where I think it was, it was when we decided that it would be a good move economically to be okay with sweat shops--and then later think we could compete on price with sweat shops.

I didn't realize this was part of the stimulus bill, and I guess it isn't any longer. But democrats has a proposed tax that would tax companies who pay minimum wage. It was meant give companies a text incentive to raise their minimum wage above the federal minimum wage.

However, this too was opposed by some democrats and concessions needed to be made to get the stimulus bill done.
I have more about this if you want to read.

Top Senate Democrats are pulling a plan to penalize large corporations that don't have a $15 per hour minimum wage, two sources confirmed to The Hill.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Senate Budget Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) floated their "Plan B" after the parliamentarian ruled that a straight increase of the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour didn't comply with arcane budget rules that govern what can be included in the coronavirus relief bill.

Under the backup plan, outlined on Friday by Wyden, large corporations would get a 5 percent tax penalty if they paid workers less than a certain amount, with the amount of the penalty increasing over time. Democrats were also looking at giving tax incentives to small businesses to raise their wages.

But Democrats have dropped the effort, with one source familiar telling The Hill that there were concerns that working out the details could slow down the overall coronavirus bill. Democrats want to get the bill to President Biden's desk before unemployment benefits expire in a matter of weeks.

"We worked through the weekend and it became clear that finalizing Plan B with the caucus would delay passage and risk going over the jobless benefits cliff on March 14," the source said.

I have more about this if you want to read.

Top Senate Democrats are pulling a plan to penalize large corporations that don't have a $15 per hour minimum wage, two sources confirmed to The Hill.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Senate Budget Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) floated their "Plan B" after the parliamentarian ruled that a straight increase of the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour didn't comply with arcane budget rules that govern what can be included in the coronavirus relief bill.

Under the backup plan, outlined on Friday by Wyden, large corporations would get a 5 percent tax penalty if they paid workers less than a certain amount, with the amount of the penalty increasing over time. Democrats were also looking at giving tax incentives to small businesses to raise their wages.

But Democrats have dropped the effort, with one source familiar telling The Hill that there were concerns that working out the details could slow down the overall coronavirus bill. Democrats want to get the bill to President Biden's desk before unemployment benefits expire in a matter of weeks.

"We worked through the weekend and it became clear that finalizing Plan B with the caucus would delay passage and risk going over the jobless benefits cliff on March 14," the source said.

Why does it feel more and more like our two parties are just in a never ending game of chicken to see who flinches first..........of course, as always, it's not THEIR lives or lively hood at risk.

Why does it feel more and more like our two parties are just in a never ending game of chicken to see who flinches first..........of course, as always, it's not THEIR lives or lively hood at risk.
That’s exactly what’s going on.

to further on @nolalady and @Chucktshoes conversation, the republic also started to fail when the people stopped caring. No one writes or calls their senators anymore. They just get mad and don’t vote. A democracy actually needs the people to function. The people checked out a long time ago.

2020 as led Republicans to play right out of Trumps playbook. Many Republicans believe that there was widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election, despite evidence that proves otherwise.

This has lead to many red states taking action to address voter fraud and change election laws.

These new laws suppress the votes of Millennials and Gen Z as well as people of color making it harder for them to vote and as intimidating as possible.

One interesting fact I saw called out on CNN, is in these states such as Arizona, Texas, Georgia and Florida in 2020 people of color turning 18 in 2020 outnumbered white people turning 18 to register to vote. States are looking to make it harder for people to register, longer voter registration deadlines to be eligible to vote not to mention more frequently purging the voter rolls. On top of all this, a huge increase in poll monitors are being called for to combat voter fraud. This is straight up voter intimidation.

Currently the voting populous is composed of older, whiter and wealthier individuals than what the general population is. Many of these new voting laws are aimed at keeping this status quo and suppressing the political power in influence of the younger populous for years to come.

The House of Representatives are looking to address this. They have introduced sweeping new voter rights in the HR 1 Bill. The whole goal of this bill is to make it easier to register to vote and standardize the process across the country. One key part of the bill would make same day voter registration legal in all 50 states.

This bill is expected to pass the House of Representatives without issue with a vote straight down party lines. But it will go to the Senate to Die unless senate democrats use the nuclear option, change senate rules and override the inevitable filibusters the Republicans will surely attempt.

Wow, I was reading more about how voter suppression laws target Millennials and Gen Z. Basically they try to make it as difficult and cumbersome as possible as well as confusing to deter young people from registering to vote.

Young people tend to move more often than than older people. And the GOP uses this to their advantage. The constitution allows states to purge the voter rolls if they believe a person as moved or died. Any indication that a younger person has moved will result in them being purged from the voting pool automatically. These same states are also eliminating automatically updating voter registration. So if you update your legal address with the state, they won't automatically update your voter registration or give you the option to update it at that time. You have to figure out the voter registration process and do that separately on your own.

Next comes the voter registration deadlines. Which can be 3 months before an election in some states and proposed laws making it longer in some states. If you are bouncing between apartments every year this could result in you not being eligible to vote for one quarter of the year or more. Your voter registration gets purged because you moved. But because you moved, you can participate in an election if you moved within 3 months of that election.

The expanded voter registration requirements that some states are proposing are creating a scenario where college students who move into an apartment at the start of the fall semester could be ineligible to vote in a November election because they missed the voter registration deadline when they moved and updated their address. Young adults in college are much more likely to vote for democrats that republicans.

So, Billionaires get to keep their tax breaks? Was this too extreme and unpopular to push through? Or did all our politicians sell their souls?

So, Billionaires get to keep their tax breaks? Was this too extreme and unpopular to push through? Or did all our politicians sell their souls?
The sooner you stop believing politicians give a flying fuck about you, the sooner you can get on with making yourself happy.

100% they are all liars, thieves and a long drop with a short rope is far too merciful of an ending for them.

There’s about 200 tenants that my property management company oversees. They’ve thrice sent out emails to the tenant mailing list urging us to vote NO on a Just Cause measure in the upcoming local election. That feels morally wrong for them to take advantage of that influence. They’ve been perfectly adequate landlords, I have had no complaints but this is just rubbing me the wrong way. I will gladly be voting YES for Just Cause and hope to hell it passes. It should pass because Burlington is very progressive, but the wording and way they’re spinning it for low information voters may sway some people. “Your rent will go up if this passes!” ffs 🤬
The Just Cause measure passed!!!

We also could have had a Bernie 2.0 but the progressive candidate for mayor lost by only 129 votes.

The SCOTUS saw a case on voting rights out of the state of Arizona yesterday.

And the case was is not looking favorable to anyone but the GOP.

Native Americans brought a lawsuit against Arizona election law stating new election restrictions in Arizona discriminate against Native Americans and diminish their vote.

Since 2005 the Native American vote has been under attack in Arizona. The majority of Native Americans vote by absentee ballots. They have no polling sites of their own on reservations and with Arizona closing and consolidating polling sites the closes ones to reservations were all axed.

Many Native Americans who live on the reservations are in poverty and transportation to polling sites is an issue.

Arizona has also passed strict absentee ballot laws. Absentee ballots can only be delivered by the USPS or by a relative. Any other third party delivery person or service is prohibited and the ballot must be tossed. In addition to this, the ballots can only be dropped of or mailed to the correcting polling site. If they were dropped off at the wrong polling site they would be tossed. Which apparently is common, as the the closest polling sites to the reservations are often not their designated drop off site.

Mailing the ballots is an issue as well. The USPS doesn't service all reservations. Many people who live on reservations have PO Boxes.

An Arizona audit in recent elections has shown irregularity with compliance with their laws from Native Americans and are saying it's a voter fraud issue. All these irregularities are being documented as voter fraud officially. Which of course is firing up Trumps base saying see, we told you there was widespread fraud. My father is cheering victory and that this proves Arizona was stolen for example.

Arizona's arguments yesterday stated that Absentee ballots are the biggest potential source of voter fraud.

Judge Roberts questioned whether states should tolerate such potential fraud. He also stated he does not feel that the laws are racially biased and that he doesn't want to enable voter fraud.

Judge Roberts, has a track reader of favorable rulings in cases like this when race comes into play. But with him saying he honestly does not believe race comes into play here it's looking like he's going to vote in favor of the state of Arizona. He believes the election laws are valid to prevent fraud.

The final ruling with the 6-3 court, especially if Judge Roberts is signaling that he supports Arizona is not favorable to Native Americans. It also will have huge impacts on future laws that target people of color, latinos and Native Americans across the country as states look to make tougher voting laws after the 2020 election.

Back