Political Discussion

A Massachusetts man has been arrested for helping to organize the events that took place at the capital.

He organized 3 tour buses to to bus Trump supporters too DC for the protests. It doesn't sound like he organized anything related to storming the capital it self, just getting people there. Looks like law enforcement is cracking down on everyone who played a part.

A lot of it relied on technology, of course, for communicating with people and logistics. But the actual psychological state of recruits was similar - marginalization, lack of economic and/or emotional fulfillment. If you look at the period, a lot of countries in Europe had high unemployment - even more so if you were a immigrant, So, there wasn't a clear future for these young (mostly) men and women. There also wasn't a sense of belonging - they were living in an adopted homeland, speaking an adopted primary language, most likely facing some degree of xenophobia and/or Islamophobia.
Someone told me long ago: Hurt people hurt people.
Radicalization is merely a symptom of a greater disease of exploitation, marginalization, depression, and hopelessness.
A Massachusetts man has been arrested for helping to organize the events that took place at the capital.

He organized 3 tour buses to to bus Trump supporters too DC for the protests. It doesn't sound like he organized anything related to storming the capital it self, just getting people there. Looks like law enforcement is cracking down on everyone who played a part.
I don't like this.

I'm sorry, but it's more than okay to charter buses for a protest. This is like commie hunting in the 1950's. It's going to end up going too far and it will unjustly punish people who might not have been involved in violence. Yes, if you took something or hurt someone, but chartering buses? No.

I know that you are struggling with your father and my heart goes out to you. I know there aren't a lot of things I can do to help you out, but I can answer this question. There are a couple times when the brain changes drastically in adult life--once in your early 20's when everything gets cemented in, and again, in old age--around age 60-65.

The most consistent change is cognitive slowing. Age-related slowing is also evident on certain attentional tasks, such as trying to grasp a telephone number when someone rattles it off quickly. Overall, cognitive slowing is thought to be a contributing factor in elderly people’s higher rate of automobile accidents per miles driven.2

Age hinders attention, particularly when it is necessary to multitask. When switching from one task to another, the elderly have more difficulty paying attention to multiple lanes of traffic, for example, or noticing if someone is about to step off a curb at a busy intersection. Processing information rapidly and dividing attention effectively are cognitive skills that peak in young adulthood. How fortunate it is that college and vocational students are typically at an age when the brain is working with optimum efficiency.

Similarly, the ability to keep multiple pieces of information in mind at the same time is another skill that peaks around ages 18 to 20 and becomes more difficult thereafter.

The Pew Research Center recently found that more than 60 percent of people between the ages of 50 and 65 are now on at least one social network. And, according to some studies, baby boomers, typically defined as those born between 1946 and 1964, now spend even more time online than millennials.

Most revealing, though, is what studies have found when it comes to how baby boomers use the internet and social media. Boomers take action based on what they see and read online. They are 19 percent more likely to share content than any other generation, especially when it comes to political content. While boomers are most likely to seek out more information on something they come across on the internet, a study found that only 10 percent of them share information with the intent of educating their online audience. Boomers are opinionated and share content as long as it's meaningful to them.

However, boomers, a majority of which voted for Donald Trump, didn't grow up with the internet, and didn't develop their relationship with technology in the same was as subsequent generations. They're soaking up the latest tech but they may not necessarily be as skeptical of less mainstream platforms like 4chan and 8chan (another, even fringier platform where Q now posts his/her/their latest updates), places where trolls reign supreme and people often fabricate events out of thin air just to get a rise out of others. Boomers are looking for political content to share, and these forums have plenty to give. Whether or not it's factual often takes a backseat to whether or not it's provocative.

I think with your dad, it's a combo of age coupled with the fact that boomers aren't the digital natives that millenials are. Older people have more problems with working memory but when you add in the realizations that our parents are less savvy internet users than we are, you start to get how they have issues. Older people have more trouble figuring out what articles are sponsored content and which are not. They have a tougher time weeding through the fake and the real, because they've never really been put in a position where they had to question news sources as much as us digital natives.

THANK YOU!!
Yes, yes, yes.
This is about as useful as the GOP calling Dems "snowflakes". How do you expect these people to listen to anything you are saying if you start with "Hey Stupid".

From the literature on cults:
Unprecedented escalation of secular and religious cults has necessitated further inquiry into more precise conditions under which individuals develop vulnerability and become converted by these groups. The present discussion focuses on a number of factors which seem to influence individuals' susceptibility and recruitment by cults. These variables include (a) generalized ego-weakness and emotional vulnerability, (b) propensities toward dissociative states, (c) tenuous, deteriorated, or nonexistent family relations and support systems, (d) inadequate means of dealing with exigencies of survival, (e) history of severe child abuse or neglect, (f) exposure to idiosyncratic or eccentric family patterns, (g) proclivities toward or abuse of controlled substances, (h) unmanageable and debilitating situational stress and crises, and (i) intolerable socioeconomic conditions.
Factors related to susceptibility and recruitment by cults - PubMed

So yes, but this is multifactorial. I would say that the most susceptible people are the forgotten, marginalized and those who are unable to adequately meet their needs economically and emotionally. While this does include some abused people, I think it has a much broader net and much more nuanced. I think that anyone could become susceptible if they don't have community and family support.

Biden hasn't put a timeline on this. I think it's wishful thinking. I really hope it happens, but I won't believe it until I see it.

I was musing with my husband the other day about products and inflation.
I pointed out that most of our inflation calculations and justification for (not) paying people what we do had to do with the price of certain consumer goods. However, our supply chains have fundamentally changed since the 1970's when corporations started shipping jobs overseas and taking them away from Americans who were paid living wages. In the past 20 years, prices have not changed drastically for inexpensive consumer items (thus we as workers don't need that much money, right?) but the way these products are made--in sweat shops by exploited people--has changed. I argued that if we tried to price something like a t-shirt today, but made sure that everyone was fairly compensated for their labor or cotton, that the price of said shirt would be much greater. Our whole system is propped up on exploiting third world workers in order to keep the wheels on this consuming machine we call the US. The problem arises now that corporations have exploited workers in the third world to their breaking point, so they have decided to create share holder value by exploiting people here in the US.
I am HERE for your well reasoned, well researched responses.

💜💜💜

You are correct, it’s never just one thing. There are always multiple factors to consider when looking at the psychology behind this type of cognitive phenomena.

Trump's speech this morning all but confirms he is running in 2024
A lot of people think this, and maybe, maybe it could happen.

But Trump will either be dead or in prison for the rest of his life. Does everyone know that either of those things are a very real possibility? There's a huge fraud case coming to him from the state of New York, not to mention he still could get Impeached in the Senate. He's going to be in so much legal trouble there's no way he'll have time for another presidential run.

Trump signed an executive order this morning rescinding the first executive order he signed when he was in office.

Trumps first executive order bared any Trump Administration officials / staff from being able to work for lobbying groups after his term. It was part of his Drain The Swamp campaign.

Trump signed an executive order this morning rescinding the first executive order he signed when he was in office.

Trumps first executive order bared any Trump Administration officials / staff from being able to work for lobbying groups after his term. It was part of his Drain The Swamp campaign.
lol

M4A is NOT going to be on the Biden agenda:

President-elect Joe Biden’s new COVID relief plan does not adopt existing Democratic legislation to expand government sponsored medical coverage nor does it propose a promised public health insurance option. Instead, it adopts proposals from health insurance lobbying groups’ recent letter to lawmakers demanding lucrative new subsidies for insurance companies, at a moment when those corporations have recorded record profits as millions lose coverage and many face claims denials.

Biden’s plan would shovel billions of dollars to private health insurers by providing subsidies for Americans to buy coverage through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplaces, which are far more expensive than government health care programs and have at times been plagued by high rates of claim denials. The plan would also subsidize COBRA continuation coverage through September, allowing workers to keep their employer health insurance plans when they’re laid off.

Those initiatives — which could further boost insurers’ skyrocketing profits — were recently recommended in a letter to lawmakers from America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, two insurance lobby groups in Washington that have opposed the expansion of government-sponsored health care programs.

While Medicare for All could actually save the country up to $650 billion annually, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Biden is now proposing some of the most costly and inefficient ways to expand health insurance coverage. The moves could still leave people exposed to substantial out-of-pocket costs — from deductibles, copays, and coinsurance — that act as barriers to care.

But Trump will either be dead or in prison for the rest of his life. Does everyone know that either of those things are a very real possibility? There's a huge fraud case coming to him from the state of New York, not to mention he still could get Impeached in the Senate. He's going to be in so much legal trouble there's no way he'll have time for another presidential run.

That's really optimistic. White rich people don't usually go to jail unless they steal a bunch of other rich people's money.

That's really optimistic. White rich people don't usually go to jail unless they steal a bunch of other rich people's money.
There’s nothing in the constitution that prevents a person being elected President from prison.

Trumps speech this morning all but confirms he is running in 2024
Nah, he is done. He won’t ever declare he is officially done because then it would allow the world a chance to ignore him and move on. 4 years later s a long time and while he is gonna attempt to hold on to his position as head of The GOP (or a newly formed “Patriot Party”) he won’t run for President again. He will attempt to play king maker/spoiler for 2022 and then likely support Ivanka and Jr. likely unsuccessful political runs but he, himself won’t ever run for Around Office again. He will enjoy beng a “former President” wayyy more than he ever enjoyed being the actual president.

Last edited:

President-elect Joe Biden’s new COVID relief plan does not adopt existing Democratic legislation to expand government sponsored medical coverage nor does it propose a promised public health insurance option. Instead, it adopts proposals from health insurance lobbying groups’ recent letter to lawmakers demanding lucrative new subsidies for insurance companies, at a moment when those corporations have recorded record profits as millions lose coverage and many face claims denials.

Biden’s plan would shovel billions of dollars to private health insurers by providing subsidies for Americans to buy coverage through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplaces, which are far more expensive than government health care programs and have at times been plagued by high rates of claim denials. The plan would also subsidize COBRA continuation coverage through September, allowing workers to keep their employer health insurance plans when they’re laid off.

Those initiatives — which could further boost insurers’ skyrocketing profits — were recently recommended in a letter to lawmakers from America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, two insurance lobby groups in Washington that have opposed the expansion of government-sponsored health care programs.

While Medicare for All could actually save the country up to $650 billion annually, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Biden is now proposing some of the most costly and inefficient ways to expand health insurance coverage. The moves could still leave people exposed to substantial out-of-pocket costs — from deductibles, copays, and coinsurance — that act as barriers to care.

Can't wait for 4 years of this

There’s nothing in the constitution that prevents a person being elected President from prison.
Right, but there's zero chance he gets elected as President from prison, there's no chance it happens. All the skeletons will come out of the closet and he'll be done. He'll only have his most ardent supporters and even they may abandon him if he's convicted. They can't support a loser.
Nah, he is done. He won’t ever declare he is officially done because then it would allow the world a chance to ignore him and move on. 4 years later s a long time and while we is gonna attempt to hold on to his position as head of The GOP (or a newly formed “Patriot Party”) he won’t run for President again. He will attempt to play king maker/spoiler for 2022 and then likely support Ivanka and Jr. likely unsuccessful political runs but he, himself won’t ever run for Around Office again. He will enjoy being a “former President” wayyy more than he ever enjoyed being the actual president.
I agree. He will have the influence that he wants but without the responsibility.

You and I have a unique view on M4A working in the industry. Here is something I wrote in 2019 when I was working for my last company. I had to couch my actual thoughts as my previous CEO is a staunch Republican and unapologetic Trump supporter, but he did allow the leeway to push for certain hybrid styles of universal healthcare.

Back