Political Discussion

Where was that. I saw a bit about M4A kicking in but I don't know what that is, well other than an mp3 from iTunes...
I kind of arbitrarily said default $12/hr. I don't know what's right but I know the current amount is wrong. M4A is medicare for all, a huge initiative here that would make the money people have now go much, much farther.

I kind of arbitrarily said default $12/hr. I don't know what's right but I know the current amount is wrong. M4A is medicare for all, a huge initiative here that would make the money people have now go much, much farther.

Yeah you definitely need some kind of default healthcare system. That said on the other thing I'm beginning to move away from ideas of minimum wages and towards ideas of the minimum living wage. There is no point setting a minimum wage at an arbitrary amount if people still can't live off it. We have that here and it was implemented in the UK while I was living there. Whilst it did prevent the odd occasion of ridiculously low pay it also set a bottoming out of pay to that amount across the unskilled sector and it is absolutely not enough to live off.

Last edited:
Oh totally, Papa John is a racist asshole. Also, hindsight being what it is I bet the price for your average Papa John’s pizza has likely gone down since the ACA passed. Big chain pizza is comparable to fast food prices at this point.

Not around here. Big Chain pizza is far more expensive that the little guy.

For example, a large specialty pizza from Domino's is around $30. That same pizza is also around $30 at the mom and pop / Greek pizza and sub shop. However the difference is that large pie form Domino's is 14" and the Pie from the local place is 24". Domino's large is the size of the little guys small pizza.

Yeah you definitely need some kind of default healthcare system. That said on the other thing I'm beginning to move away from ideas of minimum wages and towards ideas of the minimum living wage. There is no point setting a minimum wage at an arbitrary amount if people still can't live off it. We have that here and it was implemented in the UK while I was living there. Whilst it did prevent the odd occasion of ridiculously low pay it also set a bottoming out of pay to that amount too across the unskilled sector and it is absolutely not enough to live off.
Yeah, ideally you would tie minimum wage/living wage to inflation where it’s reassessed every year or two and adjusted appropriately. The corporation I work for does this. They also take cost of living into account depending on where you like live and work in the country. If my company can do this I am fairly certain the Federal Government could do the same.

Not around here. Big Chain pizza is far more expensive that the little guy.

For example, a large specialty pizza from Domino's is around $30. That same pizza is also around $30 at the mom and pop / Greek pizza and sub shop. However the difference is that large pie form Domino's is 14" and the Pie from the local place is 24". Domino's large is the size of the little guys small pizza.
It probably depends on what you are purchasing but I think you can grab like a medium 2 topping pizza from Dominos for like $6.99 right now. I really hate big chain pizza though so I very rarely go that route. Last time We ordered pizza it was from a local pizzeria and we got two Large pies it was damn near $50 but it was so delicious it was worth every penny. Quality over value every time when we order pizza.

Last edited:
It probably depends on what you are purchasing but I think you can grab like a medium 2 topping pizza from Dominos right now for like $6.99 right now. I really hate big chain pizza though so I very rarely go that route. Last time We ordered pizza it was from a local pizzeria and we got two Large pies it was damn near $50 but it was so delicious it was worth every penny. Quality over value every time when we order pizza.

Yeah, you can with coupons. Though a couple weeks ago I paid $30 to get one large Hawaiian specialty pizza delivered from Dominos. It was $30 with tip and delivery fee, but I also used a coupon on it. It would have been $29.99 without the coupon. And as far as I know, I Hawaiian pizza is only a two topping pizza. I was thinking about it after the fact that I could have gotten it cheaper with a large 2 topping pizza with coupon and saved like $10.

And I agree with you. I really do not care all that much for Dominos pizza. I must rather get it from a local place.

$15 an hour federal minimum wage is something Biden was to do in his first few weeks in office.

And all Republicans oppose it. There is already anger that "The Democrats" are going to shove this legislation down their throat because they now hold the majority in the senate with partisan politics further dividing America. They say it's bad policy because they have no support from the right side of the aisle.
I'm in a lot of Texas service industry groups, and was not surprised at the number of restaurant/bar owners and managers balking at this potential increase, saying they would have to close or fire all their staff and cut their hours.

I was not ready for the insane number of $2.13/hr+tips SI folks that have been force fed this belief for so long arguing against their own interest. like, nearly 50% oppose, despite evidence of higher base wage+tips working fine in other states, and giving them the hope to maybe afford going to the doctor once in a blue moon.

the thing is- if your entire business is so fragile and based on such a thin margin that you cannot survive the transition from exploiting your employees, then you do not deserve to have a business.

the thing is- if your entire business is so fragile and based on such a thin margin that you cannot survive the transition from exploiting your employees, then you do not deserve to have a business.
This.

They are either being greedy and dishonest or are already running a failing business.

It’s wild to think that the folks opposed to $15 an hour act like people will be living like kings off of that wage when an employee working a full time job at $15 an hour is still only making $31,200 before tax annually. Also if workers had a bit more disposable income, at least some of that would go back into entertainment, service and hospitality industry. A person making $7.25 an hour probably is going out for dinner and drinks after work.

Apparently there is a lawsuit against Massachusetts Sate Income Tax headed to the SCOTUS that may have major ramifications for other states Tax Law.

Covid-19 and telecommuting is the catalyst of this lawsuit.

Massachusetts collects state income tax from everyone who works in Massachusetts, not just Massachusetts residence. But 2020, being 2020 lead to a large number of workers telecommuting who may have never set foot in Massachusetts since March. A large number of people who work in Boston commute in from New Hampshire as the cost of living is much much lower than in Massachusetts and the commute is not all that bad. Less than an hour from the state line on I-93 to Boston.

And this has lead a lot of people to be very angry that MA is collecting state income tax from them even though they have been working from their home office in another state. New Hampshire, which does not have a state income tax in particular.

New Hampshire's AG has brought a lawsuit against the State of MA that is backed by 14 states. This lawsuit is being taken all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Massachusetts says under its tax law, if the persons place of employment is in the state of MA the employer must collect MA state income tax.

New Hampshire, and 14 other states say that MA should not collect state income tax from telecommuters if they are not working in the state of MA. They are seeking to get MA to reimburse people for the time they have worked from home out of state and prevent them from collecting future taxes.

I believe this at a minimum also impacts NY and NJ depending on how the SCOTUS rules.

Er8vRUxXEAc9Rr9.jpg

Last edited:
Text from my father tonight:

So, you think Biden will still try to seal the steal Wednesday? Just remember none of this military deployment in all 50 states would occur if not authorized by President Trump. Do you realize the scale of this deployment?

I swear this shit is like salem witch trials or lysergic acid poisoning, just on a larger population scale.

I'm currently reading Fantasyland by Kurt Anderson, and he basically makes the argument that America has always been the land of self-delusion, in almost every way. Hucksterism, conspiracism, and fanaticism have been baked into our cultural DNA for 500 years now.

This.

They are either being greedy and dishonest or are already running a failing business.

It’s wild to think that the folks opposed to $15 an hour act like people will be living like kings off of that wage when an employee working a full time job at $15 an hour is still only making $31,200 before tax annually. Also if workers had a bit more disposable income, at least some of that would go back into entertainment, service and hospitality industry. A person making $7.25 an hour probably is going out for dinner and drinks after work.
Are you assuming the employee will have paid vacation, or work 52 weeks/year?

Back