Political Discussion

I bet it wouldn’t surprise you that I admired Scalia’s work, would it? 🤣

I admired his intellect, his argument construction and his conviction.

Unfortunately he believed in a historicist/textualist approach to constitutional interpretation. That to me is, to quote a famous legal philosopher, “nonsense on stilts”.

Oh, this is rich. Apparently the Trump Administration is operating like the mofia.

Republican officials in multiple states are on the verge of canceling their 2020 presidential primary elections in a show of support for President Donald Trump, even as some GOP candidates plan to challenge him.

By canceling the 2020 presidential primary elections, there will be no clear opposition on the ballet. The democrat vote will be diluted by more options ensuring Trumps victory. It also takes away the ability of GOP candidates challenging him which is actually happening this year.

Arizona's GOP Chairman said:

Arizona Republicans are fired up to re-elect President Trump to a second term and will continue to work together to keep America -- and Arizona -- great.

If this doesn't scare you I don't know what would. The GOP is on the verge of a coup. The GOP is taking too much power and ensuring their rule. From denying President Obama his Supreme Court pick to changing voting laws to ensure they remain in power.

By canceling the 2020 presidential primary elections, there will be no clear opposition on the ballet. The democrat vote will be diluted by more options ensuring Trumps victory. It also takes away the ability of GOP candidates challenging him which is actually happening this year.

Arizona's GOP Chairman said:

If this doesn't scare you I don't know what would. The GOP is on the verge of a coup. The GOP is taking too much power and ensuring their rule. From denying President Obama his Supreme Court pick to changing voting laws to ensure they remain in power.
One party can't unilaterally cancel the entire election, and the article doesn't suggest that they're trying to. They can decide not to hold a primary for an uncontested seat in their own party, though. Primaries would still occur in those states, as I understand it. It's just that Republican ballots wouldn't include the presidential race. There are still lots of down-ballot races in those states where primaries are needed, so there's still some incentive for Republicans not to opt for a Democratic ballot.

So let me get this straight, there are currently 3 republicans running against Trump and states are starting to cancel Republican Primaries and Cacuses for President. Yeah, this is gonna end well.

So let me get this straight, there are currently 3 republicans running against Trump and states are starting to cancel Republican Primaries and Cacuses for President. Yeah, this is gonna end well.

Yup, and it kind of proves the point of the above article. Our democracy is starting to fall apart.

We are seeing the "most aggressive shakedowns" to date to collect unpaid medical bills.

As prices skyrocket so do unpaid debts. Any many private for profit hospitals are now using to sue patients and resorting to wage garnishments to collect upon their unpaid bills.

While there is no data on how many hospitals are doing this, it is Estimated that 36% of Hospitals in Virginia do. There is not enough data for other states.

The one hospital mentioned in the story is in New Mexico. This one Hospital alone has sued thousands of people over the last 10 years. Or around just around a little under 1% of all total patients.

The hospital is the only facility in a 40 Mile Radius, and people talk about getting $6000 bills for a 2 hour ER visit while having insurance. They simply can't afford to pay it. One women they interviewed was working 3 low wage jobs and couldn't afford to pay her hospital bill. They sued her and garnished her wages. She ended up having her car repossessed as a result.

When CNN reached out to the Hospital they said they only sue as a last ditch attempt to collect bills that are owed stating they have attempted to contact most of these people between 7 and 12 times already to attempt to collect the debt. The people have either ignored their attempts to collect the debt or have not worked out a repayment plan. However, most of the people say the repayment plan wasn't worked out because it's more than they can afford.

It just shows how broken our current healthcare system is.

Prices are predatory and insanely higher than the rest of the world. It's like playing rulette whether or not you come out of the hospital with a huge surprise bill. There is no shopping around or knowing what the costs are going to be ahead of time.

Trump will eat this guy for breakfast.
Joe's always been a word salad guy, but mainly clearheaded on the substance (whether you agree or disagree with his positions). I think that as a culture we need to be careful not to conflate an increased propensity for stumbling over your words, or being inarticulate, with cognitive decline. I mean, I don't have a degree in this, but I'd imagine there's probably a Venn diagram where those two things have some overlap (see: Trump) and a lot of space where they don't.

I'm not a supporter of his in this race, and I think the advanced age of several of the candidates is a legitimate issue, but those critiques have to be made with precision and sensitivity lest they just become ageist, IMO.

Last edited:
Back