Political Discussion

I get how it works there, but you mistake me. When I said I liked my insurance, that’s what I meant. I had good insurance that I could afford. It provided the coverage I needed along with the access and choice I desired. This was prior to the ACA. After the enacting of the ACA prices went up, choice and access decreased and eventually I found myself in a position where to purchase insurance for my family that was far worse than what I had a decade ago would run me over $22k in premiums and $6k in deductibles annually. Depending on how one views things, the ACA was either a total failure, or in light of the growing desire for some sort of Medicare for all system, a rousing success.
Okay, how's this: no one likes their private insurance more than they would like their substantially cheaper universal health care.

I need more politically charged rock/metal (not punk). SOAD and RATM are great, but don't always do it for me. Anyone got something? Anti-authoritarianism is a must.

Wish I could. It’s gone now thanks to people doing shit to me (though they claimed it was for me) I didn’t want because they believed they knew better than I do what was best for me.

Yeah. That's not how that happened. What did happen was politicians in red states made sure the ACA wasnt implemented as intended from day one because they wanted to drive up costs and opposition.

For years the ACA was working really well in blue leaning states that allowed it to function as intended. My insurance costs went down by 100 per month with my deductibles reducing drastically. That was in CO. It got even cheaper when moved to CA in 2011.

But then companies started dropping out. And now the individual mandate is gone due to Trump and the courts... and costs have gone up because of that.

So now it's not working particularly well in any state. But that's because of right wingers, greedy insurance companies and our jackass president.

Last edited:
Yeah. That's now how that happened. What did happen was politicians in red states made sure the ACA wasnt implemented as intended from day one because they wanted to drive up costs and opposition.

For years the ACA was working really well in blue leaning states that allowed it to function as intended. My insurance costs went down by 100 per month with my deductibles reducing drastically. That was in CO. It got even cheaper when moved to CA in 2011.

But then companies started dropping out. And now the individual mandate is gone due to Trump and the courts... and costs have gone up because of that.

So now it's not working particularly well in any state. But that's because of right wingers, greedy insurance companies and our jackass president.

Well, here’s to hoping that the elimination of the mandate will result in the rest of that abomination of a law collapsing due to a lack of severability. It’s a failure and it needs to die. We’d be much better off returning to a model where folks using healthcare services were consumers instead of simply users. Divorcing the patient from the payor was a horrendous mistake. Of course that had a lot to do with government interventions as well.

All of this fuckery is because some folks can’t understand that healthcare isn’t a right, it’s a service provided by other people. To claim healthcare is a right is to make a claim of entitlement to the labor of others. It’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what rights are.

Well, here’s to hoping that the elimination of the mandate will result in the rest of that abomination of a law collapsing due to a lack of severability. It’s a failure and it needs to die. We’d be much better off returning to a model where folks using healthcare services were consumers instead of simply users. Divorcing the patient from the payor was a horrendous mistake. Of course that had a lot to do with government interventions as well.

It only became a failure after meddling by the GOP and private insurance companies.

All of this fuckery is because some folks can’t understand that healthcare isn’t a right, it’s a service provided by other people. To claim healthcare is a right is to make a claim of entitlement to the labor of others. It’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what rights are.

Except it wasnt a failure. It resulted in lowered prices for any state that implemented it as intended, resulted in millions more ensured and prevented people from being booted off due to pre-existing conditions. You seem unwilling to accept that your prices went up after the ACA because of Republicans you voted for... not the ACA.

All this fuckery is because some people are so far up their own ass with American exceptionalism that they refuse to admit that nearly every other country does this better than us. Healthcare should have never been allowed to be a for profit industry same as investment banks never should have been allowed to intermingle with commercial banking.

Question: What service is going unpaid for in Candada?

Answer: NONE. The middle man has simply been cut out while the greed of pharmaceutical companies is kept in check.

Last edited:
Except it wasnt a failure. It resulted in lowered prices for any state that implemented it as intended, resulted in millions more ensured and prevented people from being booted off due to pre-existing conditions. You seem unwilling to accept that your prices went up after the ACA because of Republicans you voted for at not the ACA.

All this fuckery is because some people are so far up their own ass with American exceptionalism that they refuse to admit that nearly every other country does this better than us. Healthcare should have never been allowed to be a for profit industry same as investment banks never should have been allowed to intermingle with commercial banking.

Question: What service is going unpaid for in Candada?

Answer: NONE. The middle man has simply been cut out while the greed of pharmaceutical companies is kept in check.
I didn’t vote for any republicans, I didn’t vote for anyone. I don’t vote. Those people are evil, all of them, including your guys too. The last time I voted it was for a rapist in 96. Still regret it. The best thing the entirety of the collective members and employees of the federal government could do for this country is simultaneously suck start shotguns.

Healthcare is not something the government should be in the business of at all. The government really shouldn’t be doing much beyond national defense and settling disputes between the states. The government has grown far too large and is involved in way too much. Sadly, I have no hope of there being any reversing or even halting of the trend. There is no voting our way out of this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New York’s Medical Examiner released a statement after completing the autopsy on Jeffrey Epstein.<br><br>His determination is that Jeffrey Epstein’s cause of death is “pending further information at this time”</p>&mdash; Ayman Mohyeldin (@AymanM) <a href="">August 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Trumps been busy.

In the news today is rolling back many regulations of the Endangered Species Act. According to the Trump Administration the Endangered Species Act had too much government overreach of the federal government and too many restrictions on corporations using federal lands. Also the price tag of the protections policies are way too high and unsustainable.

Basically the changes drop all protections for threatened species and open up federal lands to oil and natural gas companies. Very short sighted.

Also the Trump Administration made sweeping changes to legal immigration.

They added the following requirements to proving you wont be a burden on the American Taxpayers:
  • Be fluent in English
  • Not going to use to depend on or use:
    • Medicaid
    • Public Housing Assistants
    • Free or reduced school lunches
    • Foodstamps
You also now have to show you didn't rely on any of the above services or can speak english to apply for permanent residency or citizenship.

The new policies essentially favor wealthy immigrants over those with family ties.

Also, let's not forget Trump Retweeted a conspiracy theory that says Bill Clinton is responsible for Jeffrey Epstein's death and is calling for an investigation.

In the wake of the two recent mass shootings the New Hampshire State Legislature has passed 3 gun control bills.

Today, New Hampshire's governor vetoed all 3. The Bills were for stuff we would consider pretty common laws in other states.
  • Universal Background Checks
  • Make it illegal to carry guns onto public school grounds
  • And a 3 day wait period to buy a gun
The governor vetoed the bills saying they do nothing to to keep guns out of criminals hands and only make it harder for law-abiding citizens to get their hands on guns.

I have no compression why he would veto the no guns on school grounds law. It's always been that way in MA and I thought that law would be pretty common across the country. I was very surprised to hear NH didn't already have it let alone vetoed it. Here schools are Drug and Gun Free zones.

To be fair it also removes the ability of faculty to carry. That is exactly what he was saying as the criminals will not respect that law but the teachers will.

In the wake of the two recent mass shootings the New Hampshire State Legislature has passed 3 gun control bills.

Today, New Hampshire's governor vetoed all 3. The Bills were for stuff we would consider pretty common laws in other states.
  • Universal Background Checks
  • Make it illegal to carry guns onto public school grounds
  • And a 3 day wait period to buy a gun
The governor vetoed the bills saying they do nothing to to keep guns out of criminals hands and only make it harder for law-abiding citizens to get their hands on guns.

I have no compression why he would veto the no guns on school grounds law. It's always been that way in MA and I thought that law would be pretty common across the country. I was very surprised to hear NH didn't already have it let alone vetoed it. Here schools are Drug and Gun Free zones.
Two of those are actually not that common outside of your neck of the woods. UBCs and waiting periods are only in a handful of states.

More states do prevent the carrying of firearms on school property. As far as schools being “Drug and Gun Free Zones” let’s be serious now. Are they really? 🤔

Funny story, when I was in high school I had a couple long guns behind the seat of my truck. Lots of other guys did too. I even recall the principal admiring a newly acquired rifle of a student in the parking lot one day. Nobody ever got shot or felt fear that such a thing would happen. I’m not sure if there were any guys who didn’t carry a pocket knife.

With experiences like that it is hard to convince me that guns are actually the problem.

Funny story, when I was in high school I had a couple long guns behind the seat of my truck. Lots of other guys did too. I even recall the principal admiring a newly acquired rifle of a student in the parking lot one day. Nobody ever got shot or felt fear that such a thing would happen. I’m not sure if there were any guys who didn’t carry a pocket knife.

With experiences like that it is hard to convince me that guns are actually the problem.

This is a question I’ve often asked and never received a satisfactory answer to. In the past guns were much more widely available and accessible. It used to be common practice in certain areas where student parking lots in high schools were packed full of rifles (all chambered in more powerful cartridges than an AR) during hunting season. You used to be able to order surplus military arms to your house by mail. All of that used to be the case yet we didn’t have mass shootings in schools or other places on a regular basis.

What’s changed?

Back