Political Discussion

In a new Gallup poll, 49% approve of the job Trump is doing as president while 45% disapprove, matching the highest his approval rating has ever been in Gallup surveys. A Monmouth University poll released on Monday showed Trump at 46% approval, again the best he has done in that poll in more than three years.

In the Gallup poll, 60% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the crisis while 38% disapprove of how he has done. Six in 10 independents approve of how Trump has done on the coronavirus as do more than 1 in 4 (27%) of Democrats. In the Monmouth poll, 50% say Trump has done a good job with coronavirus while 45% said he has done a bad job.

The heightened approval for how Trump has managed this crisis -- particularly among independents and even Democrats -- is what is pushing up his overall approval numbers, which have been largely stagnant for years.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

How can more than half of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling this crisis. We are failing miserably. We are at the point of no return of a run away pandemic. We did not act soon enough.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

How can more than half of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling this crisis. We are failing miserably. We are at the point of no return of a run away pandemic. We did not act soon enough.
Some of my friends get mad at me for saying this, but honestly, we as Americans deserve what we get, we're just asking for this shit.

TBF, these results followed the past week (03/22) that while still not doing nearly enough, at least was speaking like he “got it”, since, he has gone back down the nutter rabbit hole. I would imagine his number will dip next week as his actions and words both do not jive with the seriousness of the situation.

TBF, these results followed the past week (03/22) that while still not doing nearly enough, at least was speaking like he “got it”, since, he has gone back down the nutter rabbit hole. I would imagine his number will dip next week as his actions and words both do not jive with the seriousness of the situation.
I mean if we lived in a rational world, but that boat sailed in 2016.

THIS👇👇👇👇is why I voted for Bernie...

Go Bernie. I 100% back that. Wall street did not appreciate this though. All gains the stock market saw yesterday after the Senate approved the phase 3 bill were erased by Bernie's rant 🤣😆😂:LOL:

1585226822255.png

Another thing that sucks about this bill is the Republicans designed the $1200 stimulus in a way where if you are one of the millions of people struggling with the student loan debt crisis, the Department of Education can seize your stimulus. You won't see a dime.

Wow, people can be so out of touch with reality.

For example, the stimulus check we are going to see for $1200, many are saying it's not enough.

Meanwhile you have others say "I'm sorry, but saying $1200 isn't that much money is completely out of touch with reality. That's 2 months rent for many Americans."

Yeah, sure, it's 2 months rent in rural America. But for those who live in higher rent areas, $1200 is nothing. It's $650 short of covering one months rent for me. And if you live in Boston, its 1 to 2 thousand dollars short of covering one months rent.

Wow, people can be so out of touch with reality.

For example, the stimulus check we are going to see for $1200, many are saying it's not enough.

Meanwhile you have others say "I'm sorry, but saying $1200 isn't that much money is completely out of touch with reality. That's 2 months rent for many Americans."

Yeah, sure, it's 2 months rent in rural America. But for those who live in higher rent areas, $1200 is nothing. It's $650 short of covering one months rent for me. And if you live in Boston, its 1 to 2 thousand dollars short of covering one months rent.
Not only this but which areas are being hit the hardest and thus in most need of support; right, the major metropolitan cities.

If the polls are to be believed the bloviated idiocy is working.
The disapproval line just dipped below 50% for the first time since the inauguration.

Not only this but which areas are being hit the hardest and thus in most need of support; right, the major metropolitan cities.

This is a fundamental problem with the our system. We have this desire to treat everybody the same when things go wrong. We get really concerned with fairness. Then when things go well it's on the individual or the individual state to take advantage and own their failure if they can't, don't. or won't. All of it fails to recognize the diversity of situations, lives, lifestyles, and needs.

Last edited:
This is a fundamental problem with the our system. We have this desire to treat everybody the same when things go wrong. We get really concerned with fairness. Then when things go well it's on the individual or the individual state to take advantage and their own failure if they can't, don't. or won't. All of it fails to recognize the diversity of situations, lives, lifestyles, and needs.
equality vs equity

This is a fundamental problem with the our system. We have this desire to treat everybody the same when things go wrong. We get really concerned with fairness. Then when things go well it's on the individual or the individual state to take advantage and their own failure if they can't, don't. or won't. All of it fails to recognize the diversity of situations, lives, lifestyles, and needs.

One of the things people have said is we need an index of cost of living by region, and take it into account when issuing aid like this. This currently does not exist and could be very helpful.

I heard one person give an explanation of why this will absolutely not happen anytime soon. Reason being is this index could be used to for employees being moved by their employers to different cities across the country the index could be used to show the employer the cost of living is higher where they are being forced to move to keep their job and be used to help them negotiate a raise. Currently in situations like this, employers do not want to give cost of living raises to employees they consolidate into different offices.

Wow, I was just reading a post from a father who is concerned his daughter is committing fraud and what to do about it.

She's a college student and works a full time low wage job which got furloughed because that job isn't essential. Her father is very concerned that with the new unemployment benefits as part of the phase 3 bill that sends an additional $600 a week on top of the states unemployment that she would actually be making more on unemployment than if she was still working. Even more troubling to him is the fact that that unemployment is more per week than what a new job would pay his daughter.

He is convinced she is committing fraud and should be applying for another job rather than collecting the unemployment.

His daughter his not interesting in finding a job right now knowing her old job will be available again once things reopen. She wants to shelter in place verse find some crummy job that would put her at risk of catching the virus.

This goes back to what Bernie said the other day. God forbid someone makes just a little bit more on unemployment. What are we going to do.

One of the things people have said is we need an index of cost of living by region, and take it into account when issuing aid like this. This currently does not exist and could be very helpful.

I heard one person give an explanation of why this will absolutely not happen anytime soon. Reason being is this index could be used to for employees being moved by their employers to different cities across the country the index could be used to show the employer the cost of living is higher where they are being forced to move to keep their job and be used to help them negotiate a raise. Currently in situations like this, employers do not want to give cost of living raises to employees they consolidate into different offices.

I think this data and info. is already readily available at least at the state level if not by county. I'm pretty sure if that person just did some googling of their state's economic and finance divisions they could find more local economic indexes and indicators.

If you do get transferred by a company, and you are not unionized, that scenario is definitely possible but national firms tend not to want to lose employees that they want to transfer so they are likely to compensate them to be able to live wherever they're going. Moving expenses are also still a tax deduction if your employer doesn't cover them.

I've lived and worked in 6 states and cost of living is definitely reflected in pay in different places. Whether the reflection is adequate or accurate is another question, but the same job in the same company can already be paid differently in different places.

To me the bigger issue is the bubbles or boundaries we put on analyses like these and how we think about our economies. Rural and Urban areas need each other, economically, socially, but they've been pitted against each other politically. The cliches about the city being a cesspool of liberals and crime and rural people being dumb-dumbs that don't understand science or reality are constantly thrown about. Neither one of those narratives are true.

Absolutely, my company was acquired by a Michigan firm. According to them our salaries are <meme> too damn high </meme> and they believe themselves a very high paying employer. If you are in Michigan where my modest $125k house in NC would sell for ~$65k and require substantially less property taxes then this would be true. We've recently ventured into Raleigh where cost of living is even higher in this state and they are really struggling to secure competent employees in the area because they don't understand what competency costs in that area.

I think this data and info. is already readily available at least at the state level if not by county. I'm pretty sure if that person just did some googling of their state's economic and finance divisions they could find more local economic indexes and indicators.

If you do get transferred by a company, and you are not unionized, that scenario is definitely possible but national firms tend not to want to lose employees that they want to transfer so they are likely to compensate them to be able to live wherever they're going. Moving expenses are also still a tax deduction if your employer doesn't cover them.

I've lived and worked in 6 states and cost of living is definitely reflected in pay in different places. Whether the reflection is adequate or accurate is another question, but the same job in the same company can already be paid differently in different places.

To me the bigger issue is the bubbles or boundaries we put on analyses like these and how we think about our economies. Rural and Urban areas need each other, economically, socially, but they've been pitted against each other politically. The cliches about the city being a cesspool of liberals and crime and rural people being dumb-dumbs that don't understand science or reality are constantly thrown about. Neither one of those narratives are true.

This data does absolutely exist at the local level for most if not all of America. And is likely collected in private databases. But there is no single source for all this information by the federal government for this information. Most other countries do have this.

This data does absolutely exist at the local level for most if not all of America. And is likely collected in private databases. But there is no single source for all this information by the federal government for this information. Most other countries do have this.

Public databases - state and local government.

Edit: not that they're necessarily easy to access

Back