Political Discussion

This thing, if people really want it, needs to be broad, inclusive and far less judgemental than it has been if it's ever going to happen
This is why politics in general make me lose hope, because nobody wants to meet half way for the better of the people.........all people. The boomer mentality is flawed, and I'm one of them, the past is dead and gone and if you're my age and think the only thing that changed is peoples mentalities your truly disconnected from reality. Mentalities have changed, but so many more things have as well, that some people choose to turn a blind eye to because it doesn't effect them, have forced the issue as well.

I have 3 kids, and I honestly worry about their kids, when and if they come along. My kids are knee deep in the same world I'm stuck with and we talk about how to best carry on with a somewhat productive, positive life, as well as how to change. Change is going to take more than one presidents term, but it's not going to happen until the collective political machine sees the problem for us "normal" people. I have very little faith in seeing any change in the right direction in my lifetime, but I do weep for the future if we can't just get back to a sense of reason and compromise for the better good of many.

What I find really disturbing is how unprepared the United States has been for an outbreak like Coronavirus. We did not have the resources or the ability to put together enough testing and reporting in a timely manner.

To date, the United States has only Conducted ~3,200 tests.

This is not many at all. South Korea has conducted 188,000 tests. Italy is close behind.

The UK which has had far fewer cases than the United States has conducted 18,000 tests.

We did something that hasn't happened sense the recession. We hit one of the major thresholds this morning where the stock market is automatically halted to prevent a crash.

The Dow dropped 1800 points within the first 7 minutes after opening this morning before being halted.

We did something that hasn't happened sense the recession. We hit one of the major thresholds this morning where the stock market is automatically halted to prevent a crash.

The Dow dropped 1800 points within the first 7 minutes after opening this morning before being halted.

BUT BUT BUT TRUMP HAS DONE SUCH GREAT THINGS FOR THE ECONOMY!

This is why politics in general make me lose hope, because nobody wants to meet half way for the better of the people.........all people. The boomer mentality is flawed, and I'm one of them, the past is dead and gone and if you're my age and think the only thing that changed is peoples mentalities your truly disconnected from reality. Mentalities have changed, but so many more things have as well, that some people choose to turn a blind eye to because it doesn't effect them, have forced the issue as well.

I have 3 kids, and I honestly worry about their kids, when and if they come along. My kids are knee deep in the same world I'm stuck with and we talk about how to best carry on with a somewhat productive, positive life, as well as how to change. Change is going to take more than one presidents term, but it's not going to happen until the collective political machine sees the problem for us "normal" people. I have very little faith in seeing any change in the right direction in my lifetime, but I do weep for the future if we can't just get back to a sense of reason and compromise for the better good of many.

100%

I decided not to have a family, and the reasons for that decision are many. but somewhere in between all of them has been an inescapable sense that I couldn't protect them properly. I realized early on that I was never going to earn enough to protect them. There were a few events that happened to me personally and a few that happened more globally that convinced me that the motivations of the people who run things are not about the lives of regular working people.... and how could they? No one gets a ton of money or very far in politics by making waves and suggesting their cohort change their behaviors and make different decisions.

I personally believe that our economic system doesn't exist without people being oppressed into lives of indentured servitude. I don't believe that everybody who lives within 20% of the federal poverty level just made bad life choices and/or don't work very hard, and I think that people who believe in those tropes are basically blind to their own privilege, unempathetic, even cruel. Most politicians have to work within that system to try to reach a place where they can make decisions to undue it.

What choice do we have other than to talk to the people who are coming after us about what we've experienced. Share our perspectives and live the best that we can so that we limit however we are screwing it up for them. We can do our best to protect our kids and others from the system by giving them whatever tools we have to get through and avoid as much of the cruelty as possible. If we demonstrate and teach empathy they are more likely to express it in their lives and their policies... but every mentality is "flawed" (some are more flawed than others).

lol I'm literally surrounded everyday by a cohort of mostly older white dudes, who didn't need graduate degrees to get their jobs (people do now) and sold out future government workers to protect their own pensions in the early 90's and aughts. Essentially because they were here earlier they get more money out and pay no more money in than people who came along later. Are they evil people? No. Do they see anything wrong with their choices? No. Were they backed into a corner and almost certainly incapable of understanding what their decision meant to people in the future? Yes.

What I find really disturbing is how unprepared the United States has been for an outbreak like Coronavirus. We did not have the resources or the ability to put together enough testing and reporting in a timely manner.

This is not many at all. South Korea has conducted 188,000 tests. Italy is close behind.

The UK which has had far fewer cases than the United States has conducted 18,000 tests.

Why, how? Politics before people.

FTSE 8% down today. S&P opened 7% down. Oil crashed to $30. These are not normal times. This reminds me of 2008, but back then the central banks had more in the tank. Already talk of the airline industry in the US going to need a 100 billion bailout. That's just the tip of the iceberg and central banks are going to print more money than ever before. All this and Covid 19 hasn't even kicked in properly in the big western economies. Feels like a perfect storm.

Because our government wants us to believe there is nothing for us to worry about.

And Captain Cheeto appointing Pence to head the task force on Coronavirus really pissed me off. What’s Pence going to do? Pray it away?

I’m voting for anyone but Trump.

One reason is that the administration decided to develop its own test and not use the who approved test that other nations used, but have the cdc develop it`s own. That was more troublesome tahn expected which costs time.

BUT BUT BUT TRUMP HAS DONE SUCH GREAT THINGS FOR THE ECONOMY!
word (Fox News) on the (Wall) street is that the virus and hysteria are happening now precisely because it is an election year and it's the only way Trump can be cut down (due to his otherwise unstoppable greatness) :rolleyes:

a less clever Pappy O'Daniel for the 21st century, with a louder propaganda arm. HOW FUN.

Access to tests are also another huge issue.

Currently, locally only hospitals are running the tests. You can't go to your doctor and get a test at this time nor an Urgent Care center.

Each tests costs $300. But because it's only available at the hospital expect a huge bill.

For example, with my insurance I would have a $500 co-pay for a hospital visit. Then the rest of the bill will be subject to my deductible. Getting a test would cost me around 3 grand. It is absolutely insane.

I know MA is currently working on a bill to try to cover the costs of all testing. Not sure if it's just the test it self, or pay for everything instead of hit hitting your insurance.

Access to tests are also another huge issue.

Currently, locally only hospitals are running the tests. You can't go to your doctor and get a test at this time nor an Urgent Care center.

Each tests costs $300. But because it's only available at the hospital expect a huge bill.

For example, with my insurance I would have a $500 co-pay for a hospital visit. Then the rest of the bill will be subject to my deductible. Getting a test would cost me around 3 grand. It is absolutely insane.

I know MA is currently working on a bill to try to cover the costs of all testing. Not sure if it's just the test it self, or pay for everything instead of hit hitting your insurance.

Another example of our broken healthcare system. I’ve been a proponent of socialized medicine for years- affordable healthcare and meds for everyone. But there’s too much money in the current system. Also, healthy people live longer. Our government would prefer to tax us while working and die as quickly as possible once retired. Then they don’t pay social security but can collect estate taxes.

My niece and her husband were in France for 5 years. He’s got a PHD in something way above my head. They had 3 children there- free. When his contract was up, they had one desire- not to return to the US. He landed a gig in Germany.

I’m seriously considering leaving myself when I retire.

The orange buffoon is in full panic mode this morning.

The real selling hasn't even started yet. The only silver lining to the global catastrophe that is unfolding is that it is happening in an election year and it will surely hurt his chances having spent the last 4 years boasting about the stock market.

The orange buffoon is in full panic mode this morning.

The real selling hasn't even started yet. The only silver lining to the global catastrophe that is unfolding is that it is happening in an election year and it will surely hurt his chances having spent the last 4 years boasting about the stock market.

" Don´t worry . There´s only a bunch of old folks dying" would be a great slogan to help him win Florida in the next election.

Back