Pink Floyd Appreciation

Stuff like Chapter 24, Matilda Mother might not get the same praise as other tracks but I love them. Syd’s main influence was having a voice on record that had no American or Blues affection. This led to singers like Bowie having the confidence to do the same. Floyd are really lost without him around Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma, just a democracy of talented musicians not knowing that to do. Roger was really needed to give them direction. I think he (Waters) is one of the few ‘rock’ lyricists whose words are actually poetic and deep, along with Dylan, Cohen and Cave.

if i could choose something for them to focus on reissuing, it would be rick wrights 'broken china' on vinyl.

anyone go see nick mason's saucerful of secrets? it was cool and just a lot of fun to see nick and band play all these old floyd nuggets that hadn't been played by anyone in years, if at all. i mean, never thought i'd get to see a band do 'obscured by clouds' -> 'when you're in', let alone an actual floyd member perform them. gilmour did 'wot's uh the deal' back on his 06 tour which was a treat as well.

Roger joined Nick’s band on stage a few weeks ago, I see

So in honour of @Lee Newman , here’s a bit of The Division Bell in my collection. I agree this album is aging very well, and it’s grown on me over the years , and I would certainly put it alongside Animals , if not quite The Wall

So in no particular order, The Blue Vinyl from this year, the black vinyl re release , the original CD with the nice etched inlay plastic, and an unofficial release that for many years was the only vinyl copy I could find , and replicate the shorter versions on the original blue vinyl version that I sadly haven’t got

BD31A512-16C7-436D-9F36-35F7E903F3AD.jpeg24F50430-2F06-4784-B654-EE790610109F.jpegE11B9C2A-5BDB-4565-BBEC-1A2BDADD3FF9.jpeg68655E2A-92E6-460E-90CA-DABEE41DDED5.jpegFA3C6CA8-F3FC-4C4F-A605-749494AC500B.jpegA446B1E9-A73D-4681-9C47-D47124F87126.jpegD9EB5C57-A3EE-4C0D-BA5C-29C373DC8BC6.jpeg

I’ve got a hot take for you all... Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason are every bit as good as Animals and The Wall.
As someone who just recently got The Division Bell and Pulse on vinyl..... You're not too far off. It's a very different style so it's kind of hard to make comparisons. But it's all pretty.... Pretty... Pretty good.

25 years ago today, 6/22/1994, i attended my first concert ever, pink floyd at the metrodome in minneapolis. i was 16 and hadn't heard every album of theirs yet - i had division bell, the shine on box set, and maybe one or two others - so when they opened with astronomy domine i remember thinking 'this must be a new song'.

5FA22B00-6CE8-4F56-9383-BCD3E233D0C8.jpeg

if i could choose something for them to focus on reissuing, it would be rick wrights 'broken china' on vinyl.

anyone go see nick mason's saucerful of secrets? it was cool and just a lot of fun to see nick and band play all these old floyd nuggets that hadn't been played by anyone in years, if at all. i mean, never thought i'd get to see a band do 'obscured by clouds' -> 'when you're in', let alone an actual floyd member perform them. gilmour did 'wot's uh the deal' back on his 06 tour which was a treat as well.
Wot's Uh the Deal is my favorite underrated Floyd tune. All of Obscured is fantastic.

I just found this thread and wanted to share a post I put on the Whats Spinning thread the other day (I will copy it below although you guys will no doubt know most of what I put). Have to admit that while I own a number of Pink Floyd records on vinyl, I have only really deeply listened to Atom Heart Mother (I prefer side 1 to side 2) but really really enjoy it. My plan over the next week or so is to listen to a few more properly.

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (1970 French pressing on Harvest)

Multiple things to say about this. Firstly you will notice the sheet on the front with random info, I try to buy a record from each place I visit on my travels and will write up similar data 'sheets' for each. Its always nice to stumble across when picking records from the collection to play.

Fun Fact 1 - Between 1962 - 1965 Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Richard Wright met at Westminster University where they were all studying Architecture. They formed a band called 'Sigma 6' and performed at student parties and the common room. In 1965 they changed their name to the 'Pink Floyd Sound', before dropping the 'Sound'. (Fun Part) 53 years after Waters, Mason and Wright met, I went to Westminster University to study for my Masters degree in Architecture......ergo becoming the unofficial 6th member of Pink Floyd.

Fun Fact 2: Pink Floyd wrote a song to perform on John Peel's (legendary UK radio DJ) show but didn't have a name for it. John grabbed his newspaper and pointed to the headline and said 'how about that?'. The headline was.....'Atom Heart Mother'.

I’ve got a hot take for you all... Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason are every bit as good as Animals and The Wall.
So in honour of @Lee Newman , here’s a bit of The Division Bell in my collection. I agree this album is aging very well, and it’s grown on me over the years , and I would certainly put it alongside Animals , if not quite The Wall

So in no particular order, The Blue Vinyl from this year, the black vinyl re release , the original CD with the nice etched inlay plastic, and an unofficial release that for many years was the only vinyl copy I could find , and replicate the shorter versions on the original blue vinyl version that I sadly haven’t got

View attachment 7257View attachment 7258View attachment 7259View attachment 7260View attachment 7261View attachment 7262View attachment 7263

Division Bell is actually my favorite Floyd album! I don't think it is objectively their best album but it is definitely my favorite :)

So Is anyone excited about the next BIG box set, “ The Later Years” , all post waters material and possibly including a “new” version of A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
*raises hand*

On holidays at moment and been out and about in various Floyd T-shirts , and I have had three random strangers strike up conversations in the street based on their love of all things Floyd.

Pink Floyd - the people’s band . You don't get that wearing Adidas
This reminds me of the one time I was wearing a Band of Horses shirt (that I wear frequently and no one says a word). But one time I was in a random Old Navy and Three separate people talked to me about it. No one has said a word about it since that random Old Navy.

So Is anyone excited about the next BIG box set, “ The Later Years” , all post waters material and possibly including a “new” version of A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

yes, especially the latter. to me, momentary lapse is the only record of theirs that sounds dated, very much a product of its time. i'd love a remix that gets rid of the 80s sound. i'd also love one of the early 87 tour shows with echoes to make the cut.

Back