Phono pre-amplifier (phonostage) upgrades

That’s a tough price range new or used. I really liked my Vincent PHO-8 when I had it. There’s a used one on USAM for $200 shipped.

Glad this is still in the mix. It was one of the first ones I suggested

A friend of mine has an outstanding system that is currently only digital (streaming and CD) but he’s considering breaking out his turntable again and looking at phono stages. He seems to be most drawn to units in the 300-500 range, and he’s always going to go used because he loves finding a deal.

For those of you that know the current market at that price range better than I do, what would be your go to recommendation?
Moving Magnet (MM) phono stage from www.darlingtonlabs.com

I negotiated a deal on a first gen Rogue Ares Phono Amp.
Comes with the Cinemag Red 3440 SUT windings instead of the newer Blue 1254.
However it does include the external power supply and Genalex Gold Lion tubes.
For $800 and some shipping, I'm pretty happy with the deal.

They cool thing is I can upgrade windings in the future with Rogue, if I choose.

Edit: I think it's Red 3440 instead

Last edited:
Comes with the Cinemag Red 3340 SUT windings instead of the newer Blue 1254.

They cool thing is I can upgrade windings in the future with Rogue, if I choose.
Congrats! Looking forward to the commentary on how it sounds!

Comes with the Cinemag Red 3340 SUT windings instead of the newer Blue 1254.

Nice! Everything I I’ve read indicates the Cinemag 1254 is a substantial upgrade over the 3340. No personal experience though.

Nice! Everything I I’ve read indicates the Cinemag 1254 is a substantial upgrade over the 3340. No personal experience though.
Yeah, I think it's a worthy upgrade to consider in the future.
I was closely looking at just simply adding this SKY 30, which is a solid deal compared to SRP.

In the end, the gain stage in the pre amp already sounds quite nice. So upgrading to a SUT, even red, will be a worthy change.
I'll catch my breath here on this journey for a while and sell off my Denon integrated.

Considering I got into an all tube valve separates game for a little over $3K has me smiling pretty good.

I’m finding that I can’t get too excited about SUT upgrades without understanding why one should be better than others because of the physics.

It’s just an area I have not explored much and probably won’t if active amplification keeps getting better. Currently, I’m very curious about Micheal Fidler’s MC Pro.

I’m finding that I can’t get too excited about SUT upgrades without understanding why one should be better than others because of the physics.

It’s just an area I have not explored much and probably won’t if active amplification keeps getting better. Currently, I’m very curious about Micheal Fidler’s MC Pro.
This will be my first go with a SUT. I'm really intrigued with it. Windings are a bit of black magic tech that I'm sure you can go pretty far down a rabbit hole. I've observed it in the automotive industry years ago.

I spoke with a rep at Rogue this AM. I have to go full up to the Magnum upgrade to get the Cinemag Blues. He said I'll see a nice improvement if I decide to go magnum but the change from the solid state gain switch in the Perseus pre amp to the Ares phono amp will be the bigger improvement in the chain.

Someone should really check out that Sky 30, although there's a bit of an eye chart to figure out how it aligns with your cart specs. It's really a cool SUT.

The SKY 30 is coming home.
Kind of shocked my lowball offer worked but this SUT is too intriguing.
I can handle the Ramen and beans for a few months :cool:
Congrats! If your SUT experience is anything like mine, you’ll be in for a treat. I was tempted but honestly don’t feel anything in my system needs improvement.

Congrats! If your SUT experience is anything like mine, you’ll be in for a treat. I was tempted but honestly don’t feel anything in my system needs improvement.
I'll try it out. I'm too curious lately.
But for the price I got it, it can easily be flipped if I'm not really hearing the hype it brings.

It may also get me to forget about the future rogue upgrade.

Shouldn’t a SUT be similar to the generator in a phono cartridge? You can get the same output from powerful magnets and fewer windings or less powerful magnets and more windings. But each would sound different.

So I need to get this crazy train of connections I have assembled straight in my mind.
Help is appreciated.

Is this the correct signal path?

Power Amp>Perseus Preamp Aux (instead of phono input)>Ares Phono Stage (MM @ 47K ohm)>SUT>TT>LOMC

Then, there is the grounding. How should I ground this signal?

So I need to get this crazy train of connections I have assembled straight in my mind.
Help is appreciated.

Is this the correct signal path?

Power Amp>Perseus Preamp Aux (instead of phono input)>Ares Phono Stage (MM @ 47K ohm)>SUT>TT>LOMC

Then, there is the grounding. How should I ground this signal?
That looks right to me. Start with grounding the turntable to the Ares. If there is noise, experiment with grounding to the SUT or Perseus. Ground loops can be unpredictable in what actually will resolve them.

The first gen Rogue Ares phono amp is up and running.
Bonus it came with some nice tubes!

No SUT in yet but I can say this little separates journey has pulled more sound out of the vinyl than I could have imagined. The bass is clean and strong. Percussion sounds are so damn life like whether it's hat or snare. Vocals sound clear. Everything is where I wanted to go.

Sounds like a different pair of speakers now with the amount of punch coming through.
I was concerned about losing the tone controls but I don't think I miss them at all.

20240222_124002.jpg

The first gen Rogue Ares phono amp is up and running.
Bonus it came with some nice tubes!

No SUT in yet but I can say this little separates journey has pulled more sound out of the vinyl than I could have imagined. The bass is clean and strong. Percussion sounds are so damn life like whether it's hat or snare. Vocals sound clear. Everything is where I wanted to go.

Sounds like a different pair of speakers now with the amount of punch coming through.
I was concerned about losing the tone controls but I don't think I miss them at all.

View attachment 195878
Well if you get the itch again later, you can always add an equalizer.

Back