Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

F_ucI_cXEAAauiD

Just clenched so hard fitting this, I'm not sure I still actually have a sphincter. No, of course it doesn't have a stylus guard. Why would a hand built, naked generator cart that costs £6,000 need one of those? 🤡
Is it shredding that vinyl? :ROFLMAO:

F_ucI_cXEAAauiD

Just clenched so hard fitting this, I'm not sure I still actually have a sphincter. No, of course it doesn't have a stylus guard. Why would a hand built, naked generator cart that costs £6,000 need one of those? 🤡
Eek! I’m not talking about no stylus guard, either. 😜

On the opposite end of the exclusivity spectrum, I found a barely-used Shure M75E-95G that belonged to my grandfather. It came attached stock to a Garrard headshell (hence the -95G), but I was able to separate the cartridge and am thinking about giving it a whirl on the new table when it arrives.

On the opposite end of the exclusivity spectrum, I found a barely-used Shure M75E-95G that belonged to my grandfather. It came attached stock to a Garrard headshell (hence the -95G), but I was able to separate the cartridge and am thinking about giving it a whirl on the new table when it arrives.
I think my dad’s Garrard had that model Shure on it. A long time ago. Mid to late ‘60s?

I think my dad’s Garrard had that model Shure on it. A long time ago. Mid to late ‘60s?
Yep! It apparently replaced a V-15 Type II, because it was stored in the V-15’s box and it wasn’t until opening and examining it more closely last night that I noticed the mismatch. I’m hoping the unusual chassis design on the 95G won’t cause any issues with playback.

The cart is mounted to a hinged frame with a set of springs to keep it tracking well. The hinge is calibrated such that if the tracking force of the cartridge exceeds the maximum recommended rating of 1.5g, the cart ‘bottoms out’ and a small plastic pad contacts the record and lifts the cartridge off the surface.

I upgraded today to the AT-VMN95ML micro line stylus from a 95E bonded elliptical and am very happy with the sound. Very detailed high end and zero IGD. Plus the stylus replacement on the VM95 cartridge body was super easy. I would encourage anyone with the VM95 cartridge who is thinking about this upgrade to go for it!

I upgraded today to the AT-VMN95ML micro line stylus from a 95E bonded elliptical and am very happy with the sound. Very detailed high end and zero IGD. Plus the stylus replacement on the VM95 cartridge body was super easy. I would encourage anyone with the VM95 cartridge who is thinking about this upgrade to go for it!
I second that, the vmn95 is prob one of the best value options right now. Ive been using it for a few years for routine playback, it plays everything well. Definitely agree with ease of stylus replacement, I much prefer this cart over the at440mlb for that.

I've decided to move on from the Sumiko Moonstone. It's proving to not be such a great match with my Cliffwood. I'm finding that every one out of 10 records, it totally shines, but accentuates things on others that I'm not keen on. Willing to let it go for a substantial N&G discount if anyone out there is curious - and I got it for a pretty decent discount to begin with. I'll post this over in Buy/Sell as well this week.

Hey all,

It's almost time for a new stylus, and I was hoping to get some advice. I'm currently using a Grado Green. My options are:

1. Just get a new Green stylus
2. Upgrade to a Red (or Gold)
3. Stick a 8mz stylus on the Green

I'm most interested in anyone's experiences with the 8mz. One of the things I like about the Green is it's pretty forgiving as far as surface noise goes - will I lose that with the 8mz? Any opinions on moving up the Grado line to a Red or Gold?

Hey all,

It's almost time for a new stylus, and I was hoping to get some advice. I'm currently using a Grado Green. My options are:

I'm most interested in anyone's experiences with the 8mz. One of the things I like about the Green is it's pretty forgiving as far as surface noise goes - will I lose that with the 8mz? Any opinions on moving up the Grado line to a Red or Gold?

I really liked the 8mz on a Grado Gold2. No more surface noise and a tonne more detail. Best of both worlds.

Did grado get rid of the black, blue and silver? It’s also nice that you can shop straight from grado now instead of having to go to 4ourears which now directs to grado.

Hey all,

I absolutely loved the 8MZ on a VPI/Grado Green, (which is a 2nd gen Prestige body with extra mass and threaded mounts) I found it to bring the hi end to be in the ballpark with the Timbre carts, or close to it, anyway!

I loved it so much in fact, letting the cat out of the bag here with this reply, that as an end of year purchase (🤓) for my office, I decided to try the MCZ stylus, which is the next step up from the 8MZ. I've still got some time on the AT VM95ML that's currently mounted, so look out for impressions in a few months.

There may also be other Grado news on my other deck incoming!

IMG_5569.jpeg
IMG_5572.jpeg
Said other piece of Grado news! Platinum3 high output in the house. The woodies just belong on this deck. I find it does best with heavier cartridges, and no problem balancing this one at 9+ grams (of cartridge weight, not VTF!).

Have like 3 hours in on this and it’s already a total stunner. Everything the Opus does, just better. Rounder top and bottom. A more balanced picture. Musical in every way. Hope it continues to bring me this much joy!

Between Music Direct’s sale and trade-in discount, it was well worth the upgrade.

Back