Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

the little kits they sell on ebay have two sets of longer screws that work.
Thanks! Good lookin out. And after I bought the expensive Soundsmith set, too! Of course, Music Direct does not cover return shipping unless it's a defect, so I might as well keep them for future use.

Side note: out of sheer frustration/retail therapy, I may have gotten a pretty screamin' deal on another cart I've had my eye on - that does not require nuts!! Stay tuned.

I’ve taken the easy way out, finding a US vendor of the Elan replacement stylus for now. Free US shipping and it will arrive this coming week. Worth a try for $16.
Received the $16 Elan replacement stylus yesterday and the packaging says Made In Switzerland. Micro Benz makes a bazillion replacement stylii in Switzerland. 🇨🇭 😁

917DEEBD-4CE1-45FD-A903-6A220C2961AF.jpeg
53E63802-565B-4C66-9010-C18D269FBBCC.jpeg

After an overdue maintenance of motor and bearing lubrication and a new belt, (and it DOES make an audible difference in stability, crazy) I decided to take a left turn and try a cart that doesn’t get discussed much around here, and seems to get decidedly mixed reviews elsewhere - the Sumiko Moonstone.

Another Cliffwood owner swears there is a synergy with this cart, so it’s been in the back of my mind for years, actually. After having some install frustration with the SAE, I poked around on eBay and scored myself a brand new one for a really nice discount, with some negotiation :)

As you can see, I also decided to install it with the Soundsmith EZ-Mounts, and while it does in fact make cartridge mounting easy, it’s not really THAT much easier than your regular hex screws, although for someone who finds the process challenging, it may be just what you need.

Of course, there’s always a break in period with new cartridges, and I was able to put about 4 hours and change on it today. First impressions and evaluations don’t always hold up once you’re over the ~30 hour mark.

Coming from a low output Grado Opus 3 prior to this, I left the preamp set at 46dB of gain. Right out of the gate - impact, slam, and excitement! The low end was round, lovely, and up front without being tubby. As the first side of the Classic Vinyl/Kevin Gray cut of Art Blakey’s Moanin’ moved to louder dynamics, I’m definitely teetering on some preamp distortion that edges past musical. I kick it down to 40dB, and don’t lose any energy, just enough of a dip in volume to get things under control. Wonderful.

The Moonstone is proving quite susceptible to static. We are having an exceptionally dry fall, drought level in fact, in the Southeast, so that’s to be somewhat expected, but as the side played on, I’m noticing some loud static pops that I haven’t heard on this system before. Hmm. Ok.

Next up, as pictured, is the first disc of this wonderful Grundman Ornette Coleman Craft box. Some more big static pops, and now it’s skipped a couple of grooves. Ok, something’s up. I’m tracking at 2 grams, let’s lighten the force a bit closer to 1.9. Sonically, things are bouncing a bit more, touch more air up top. I’m liking what that did. But still, an occasional tracking error. I’ve got the aluminum EZ-Mount screws on. Let’s try going lighter to the nylons. They’re simple enough where if you do them one at a time, you don’t even need to re-align the cart, just the VTF.

Up next, Khruangbin’s Mordechai - a Dead Oceans press, many of you know what that means, but I really wanna see what’s going on here and also move away from jazz, and unfortunately we’re headed in the wrong direction. I’m thinking damn, the Moonstone’s a letdown, the folks who pan it are right. Was an eBay purchase, no returns, what a bummer. It’s voiced really nicely, but it’s not playing ball with my system here.

Out of sheer curiosity now, I remove the Soundsmith screws and go with the stock hex screws that came with the cartridge. Re-balance, let’s go with 1.95 this time and see where that takes us. I pull out a record I know that pushes the right buttons for me - the original Chris Bellman cut of Tom Petty’s Mojo. I use my anti-static brush, drop the needle, HOLY!!! This thing is SINGING! Channel balance is the best it’s ever been on this system, dynamics are absolutely tremendous, top end is loud and clear without being harsh, and everything I liked about the low end end when I first mounted the cartridge is there, and then some.

Unfortunately that’s all the time I had to listen today, and still have plenty more hours of observation til we reach actual break-in, but what I’m absolutely certain of is that these EZ-Mounts are going back. The night and day difference of removing them in this particular system was astronomical. It’s a head scratcher, but so goes the adventure of the format.

And thanks for following along on this adventure, if you made it this far!

Last edited:
View attachment 186101
View attachment 186104

After an overdue maintenance of motor and bearing lubrication and a new belt, (and it DOES make an audible difference in stability, crazy) I decided to take a left turn and try a cart that doesn’t get discussed much around here, and seems to get decidedly mixed reviews elsewhere - the Sumiko Moonstone.

Another Cliffwood owner swears there is a synergy with this cart, so it’s been in the back of my mind for years, actually. After having some install frustration with the SAE, I poked around on eBay and scored myself a brand new one for a really nice discount, with some negotiation :)

As you can see, I also decided to install it with the Soundsmith EZ-Mounts, and while it does in fact make cartridge mounting easy, it’s not really THAT much easier than your regular hex screws, although for someone who finds the process challenging, it may be just what you need.

Of course, there’s always a break in period with new cartridges, and I was able to put about 4 hours and change on it today. First impressions and evaluations don’t always hold up once you’re over the ~30 hour mark.

Coming from a low output Grado Opus 3 prior to this, I left the preamp set at 46dB of gain. Right out of the gate - impact, slam, and excitement! The low end was round, lovely, and up front without being tubby. As the first side of the Classic Vinyl/Kevin Gray cut of Art Blakey’s Moanin’ moved to louder dynamics, I’m definitely teetering on some preamp distortion that edges past musical. I kick it down to 40dB, and don’t lose any energy, just enough of a dip in volume to get things under control. Wonderful.

The Moonstone is proving quite susceptible to static. We are having an exceptionally dry fall, drought level in fact, in the Southeast, so that’s to be somewhat expected, but as the side played on, I’m noticing some loud static pops that I haven’t heard on this system before. Hmm. Ok.

Next up, as pictured, is the first disc of this wonderful Grundman Ornette Coleman Craft box. Some more big static pops, and now it’s skipped a couple of grooves. Ok, something’s up. I’m tracking at 2 grams, let’s lighten the force a bit closer to 1.9. Sonically, things are bouncing a bit more, touch more air up top. I’m liking what that did. But still, an occasional tracking error. I’ve got the aluminum EZ-Mount screws on. Let’s try going lighter to the nylons. They’re simple enough where if you do them one at a time, you don’t even need to re-align the cart, just the VTF.

Up next, Khruangbin’s Mordechai - a Dead Oceans press, many of you know what that means, but I really wanna see what’s going on here and also move away from jazz, and unfortunately we’re headed in the wrong direction. I’m thinking damn, the Moonstone’s a letdown, the folks who pan it are right. Was an eBay purchase, no returns, what a bummer. It’s voiced really nicely, but it’s not playing ball with my system here.

Out of sheer curiosity now, I remove the Soundsmith screws and go with the stock hex screws that came with the cartridge. Re-balance, let’s go with 1.95 this time and see where that takes us. I pull out a record I know that pushes the right buttons for me - the original Chris Bellman cut of Tom Petty’s Mojo. I use my anti-static brush, drop the needle, HOLY!!! This thing is SINGING! Channel balance is the best it’s ever been one this system, dynamics are absolutely tremendous, top end is loud and clear without being harsh, and everything I liked about the low end end when I first mounted the cartridge is there, and then some.

Unfortunately that’s all the time I had to listen today, and still have plenty more hours of observation til we reach actual break-in, but what I’m absolutely certain of is that these EZ-Mounts are going back. The night and day difference of removing them in this particular system was astronomical. It’s a head scratcher, but so goes the adventure of the format.

And thanks for following along on this adventure, if you made it this far!
I wonder if because of the weight of your arm, the screws create an unbalanced amount of force in odd places affecting its ability to track correctly.

I wonder if because of the weight of your arm, the screws create an unbalanced amount of force in odd places affecting its ability to track correctly.

I dunno it’s directly on top of the cartridge on the headshell so it’s not all that unbalanced and is really adding to the cartridge weight if anything, it’d also be balanced out by the counterweight. It’s more likely a compliance issue but we all know how you feel about that calculator…

I dunno it’s directly on top of the cartridge on the headshell so it’s not all that unbalanced and is really adding to the cartridge weight if anything, it’d also be balanced out by the counterweight. It’s more likely a compliance issue but we all know how you feel about that calculator…
I mean compliance would be all about that. It’s not that it’s unbalanced but that by adding that weight on top of the counterweight in ways that the cartridge manufacturer did not expect caused it to track differently.

I don’t really know. Spitballing and trying to figure out why it would matter. I wonder if the heavier a tonearm is, the less this type of change matters.

I mean compliance would be all about that. It’s not that it’s unbalanced but that by adding that weight on top of the counterweight in ways that the cartridge manufacturer did not expect caused it to track differently.

I don’t really know. Spitballing and trying to figure out why it would matter. I wonder if the heavier a tonearm is, the less this type of change matters.

I think it’s all delicate balance of the tonearm weight the cartridge weight (this would get added to that for the maths) and the compliance of the cantilever that add together to figure whether it works. I don’t think the weight of these or the arm affects it on its own. I’m running these on a very light arm but put the weight of these and the cartridge plus the compliance of the carriage into the calculator and it backs up they work very well with a lighter tonearm in the right setting.

Fun as the Vertere XtraX is, I've not stuck it here because it's a bit on the ridiculous side. This on the other hand is a bit more relevant and interesting;
IMG20231031221228~2.jpg

I've had a Gold Note Vasari Gold for some years. In the great inflationary spiral of the last few years, the fact you can pick one up for £400 is one of the minor bargains of the age (which makes what appears to be the US $ price an absolute steal). The Vasari Shibata is newly launched and takes the same Duralumin (6061) body and ally cantilever and puts a nude Shibata on it. The price jumps to £650* but this is a seriously good MM. It's relatively (but not unmanageably) heavy and the flip stylus guard won't defend against the sort of hits a full size one will but this is a spec that plenty of companies are charging a lot more for.

*no idea what the USD price is. No hits from UK Google.

Last edited:

I think it’s all delicate balance of the tonearm weight the cartridge weight (this would get added to that for the maths) and the compliance of the cantilever that add together to figure whether it works. I don’t think the weight of these or the arm affects it on its own. I’m running these on a very light arm but put the weight of these and the cartridge plus the compliance of the carriage into the calculator and it backs up they work very well with a lighter tonearm in the right setting.
The set that I 'won' with my Zephyr came with screws from various materials--steel, aluminum, brass, nylon--to account for compliance concerns.

The set that I 'won' with my Zephyr came with screws from various materials--steel, aluminum, brass, nylon--to account for compliance concerns.

Yeah they do. I used the heaviest stainless steel or brass with the Grado opus, Hana SL and will again with the AT OC9XML. With the Quintet Black S I had to use the second ligtest Aluminium ones.

Wasn't sure where to put this.

Echo Audio
From Hana: Special Promotional Pricing to celebrate 33rd Anniversary of Musical Surroundings, US distributor of Clearaudio and Hana. Valid till December 31st

Hana cartridges 20% discount ***Trade-in not required for 20% discount.

Hana 33% off Hana cartridge trade up (cartridge trade-in required) ***Save 33% with Hana cartridge trade up or retip exchange.

Last edited:
F_ucI_cXEAAauiD

Just clenched so hard fitting this, I'm not sure I still actually have a sphincter. No, of course it doesn't have a stylus guard. Why would a hand built, naked generator cart that costs £6,000 need one of those? 🤡

Back