Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Likely you won’t be able to salvage the Karat. The cantilever is less than 2 mm long.
Likely you won’t be able to salvage the Karat. The cantilever is less than 2 mm long.
Joseph says he got some sapphire that might work.
I think the suspension is the weak spot; he says if it had cantilever damage most times the suspension is shot too.
It's on it's way to him now.
I must be a glutton for punishment or just stupid because I bought another one. I'm trying hard not to be determined about this but I really want to hear what this cart is all about.

Joseph says he got some sapphire that might work.
I think the suspension is the weak spot; he says if it had cantilever damage most times the suspension is shot too.
It's on it's way to him now.
I must be a glutton for punishment or just stupid because I bought another one. I'm trying hard not to be determined about this but I really want to hear what this cart is all about.
If he can fix either, that’d he great. I’ve owned a few Dynavectors over the years and always liked them. Never a Karat though.

Initial thoughts on the AT Shibata.
Clarity, fidelity, top end are all there with incredible resolution. It's a really a nice cart sound. Luxurious quality.
Sound is expansive and this brings out more sound quality in my system compared to other carts I've tried.

Considering I have been using the SAE quite a bit lately, the AT doesn't have the same punch in bass and mids.
That SAE cart just jams.

Playing Now He Sings, Now He Sobs with coffee and the AT made that album just jaw dropping.
Sounded like I was getting incredible depth from that slab of vinyl I didn't hear before.
So for now, the AT shibata for jazz and the SAE for rock.

What a rabbit hole this viny stuff can be..
Everyone have a nice Saturday!

Initial thoughts on the AT Shibata.
Clarity, fidelity, top end are all there with incredible resolution. It's a really a nice cart sound. Luxurious quality.
Sound is expansive and this brings out more sound quality in my system compared to other carts I've tried.

Considering I have been using the SAE quite a bit lately, the AT doesn't have the same punch in bass and mids.
That SAE cart just jams.

Playing Now He Sings, Now He Sobs with coffee and the AT made that album just jaw dropping.
Sounded like I was getting incredible depth from that slab of vinyl I didn't hear before.
So for now, the AT shibata for jazz and the SAE for rock.

What a rabbit hole this viny stuff can be..
Everyone have a nice Saturday!
This is a fantastic reminder for me to spin Now He Sings….been too long since I listened to it. Probably my favorite Tone Poet

I’ve been running my SAE pretty much exclusively since it arrived.

I moved back to my Grado. It made it one whole album side. 😂😂😂

If the SAE isn’t perfect for my system and tastes, I don’t know what is.
No complaints with mine. I don’t know how it compares head to head with my Soundsmith, but the fact that I’m in no rush to swap it out probably says plenty. Bargain of the decade.

No complaints with mine. I don’t know how it compares head to head with my Soundsmith, but the fact that I’m in no rush to swap it out probably says plenty. Bargain of the decade.
I’m glad I bought a second one from @theflattire ! Really like mine too. Tempted to swap out my mastertracker for the SAE on my main rig…

A three day weekend in the US created the opportunity for a change. I've had a Hana ML retipped by VAS on the shelf for a while. Today, I decided today to mount it on the PLX-1000 and switch that turntable to the main rig. In the office rig, I put the Traveler/Hana SL in with a newer purchase: a Bryston TF-2 step-up transformer. The results were not exactly what I was expecting.

The PLX-1000/ML combo sounded almost as good as the Traveler/SL in the main rig. I fiddled with VTA and stylus pressure until I could get the best sound. But out-of-the-box, the ML did not sound quite as good as the Traveler/SL. Highs and center focus were a hair less present. Expected the ML to sound clearly better; the SL was also re-tipped by VAS. With the head shell I used, I could not align the ML using a GeoDisc. I had to go with the Pioneer "54 mm" alignment, which possibly impacted performance. My Nagaoka cartridge clearly benefited from GeoDisc alignment. No doubt the ML needs more run-in to reach its potential, so no final judgements yet.

On the office rig, adding the TF-2 ahead of the MM phono got me the same sound I enjoy with the Bryston BP-1.5 in my main rig (which I had hoped for). The SUT delivered the goods, as it should have for what it costs.

@HiFi Guy @AnthonyI @Slimwhit33 @DJSJ @Rip_City - Have any of you current or past PLX-1000 owners experienced a cartridge that "maxed-out" the capabilities of the table to keep up? I keep hoping that's urban legend, but now I have doubts.

Last edited:
A three day weekend in the US created the opportunity for a change. I've had a Hana ML retipped by VAS on the shelf for a while. Today, I decided today to mount it on the PLX-1000 and switch that turntable to the main rig. In the office rig, I put the Traveler/Hana SL in with a newer purchase: a Bryston TF-2 step-up transformer. The results were not exactly what I was expecting.

The PLX-1000/ML combo sounded almost as good as the Traveler/SL in the main rig. I fiddled with VTA and stylus pressure until I could get the best sound. But out-of-the-box, the ML did not sound quite as good as the Traveler/SL. Highs and center focus were a hair less present. Expected the ML to sound clearly better; the SL was also re-tipped by VAS. With the head shell I used, I could not align the ML using a GeoDisc. I had to go with the Pioneer "54 mm" alignment, which possibly impacted performance. My Nagaoka cartridge clearly benefited from GeoDisc alignment. No doubt the ML needs more run-in to reach its potential, so no final judgements yet.

On the office rig, adding the TF-2 ahead of the MM phono got me the same sound I enjoy with the Bryston BP-1.5 in my main rig (which I had hoped for). The SUT delivered the goods, as it should have for what it costs.

@HiFi Guy @AnthonyI @Slimwhit33 @DJSJ @Rip_City - Have any of you current or past PLX-1000 owners experienced a cartridge that "maxed-out" the capabilities of the table to keep up? I keep hoping that's urban legend, but now I have doubts.
I'll say this, on the PLX the best point of comparison I can offer up is the Ortofon Quintet series, Blue/Bronze/Black. I ran all of these and contrary to what you would assume, in the end, I found the Blue to offer the best sound on the PLX and would have to buy into the theory that cart ABC will have a point of diminishing returns based on the TT it's being used on.

I can also lend this bit of observation to the discussion, the Opus3 running on the PLX, GR and then the G, just kept sounding better.

I'll say this, on the PLX the best point of comparison I can offer up is the Ortofon Quintet series, Blue/Bronze/Black. I ran all of these and contrary to what you would assume, in the end, I found the Blue to offer the best sound on the PLX and would have to buy into the theory that cart ABC will have a point of diminishing returns based on the TT it's being used on.

I can also lend this bit of observation to the discussion, the Opus3 running on the PLX, GR and then the G, just kept sounding better.
I'm finding that I might prefer the Nagaoka MP-300 on the PLX versus the Hana ML; there's something going on with the highest frequencies that's not right and I had yet to figure out why.

I have yet to move the ML to the Traveler as I dread the whole cartridge set-up thing and the SL just sings on it. I have heard that a great turntable/tonearm can make an average cartridge sound much better whereas a lower-end turntable cannot make a top-end cartridge sound its best.

Alas, I anticipate more grease for the vinyl slippery slope.

I'm finding that I might prefer the Nagaoka MP-300 on the PLX versus the Hana ML; there's something going on with the highest frequencies that's not right and I had yet to figure out why.

I have yet to move the ML to the Traveler as I dread the whole cartridge set-up thing and the SL just sings on it. I have heard that a great turntable/tonearm can make an average cartridge sound much better whereas a lower-end turntable cannot make a top-end cartridge sound its best.

Alas, I anticipate more grease for the vinyl slippery slope.

The ML has a much thinner cantilever. Might be seeing the limitations of the arm bearings on the PLX.

The ML has a much thinner cantilever. Might be seeing the limitations of the arm bearings on the PLX.
That's an insightful observation. The Nagaoka also has a very thin cantilever, but it has an elliptical stylus and a moving iron.

The arm bearings are definitely one of the weaker parts of the PLX-1000 and I've always wondered exactly where and how that would show up in its performance.

21556D31-7ECE-44FB-B2BD-EF82B6DECF07.jpeg
A big, huge thank you to @HiFi Guy for the Jelco. Truly worlds better than Pioneer’s headshell, which frankly stinks! Azimuth was off on two of them I tried!

Now this VM95ML - holy smokes. It is crazy how good this cartridge is at the price, and I’m not even done breaking it in yet! Truly would be happy with this if this were all I had. Tremendously good tracking, among the best at IGD I’ve heard, detailed but smooth top end without being harsh or brittle at all, and a nice round low end that sits appropriately. It just sounds like a record! I’m psyched on it.

Are any of the Jelco headshell look-alikes on the market worth their salt? Since Jelco shut down a couple of years ago, I've seen more imitations popping up.

View attachment 165245
A big, huge thank you to @HiFi Guy for the Jelco. Truly worlds better than Pioneer’s headshell, which frankly stinks! Azimuth was off on two of them I tried!

Now this VM95ML - holy smokes. It is crazy how good this cartridge is at the price, and I’m not even done breaking it in yet! Truly would be happy with this if this were all I had. Tremendously good tracking, among the best at IGD I’ve heard, detailed but smooth top end without being harsh or brittle at all, and a nice round low end that sits appropriately. It just sounds like a record! I’m psyched on it.
I've been listening to the VM95ML for about 3 weeks now and totally agree with your assessment. It actually sounds and tracks much better than some of the more expensive cartridges I've owned.

Back