Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Now this VM95ML - holy smokes. It is crazy how good this cartridge is at the price, and I’m not even done breaking it in yet! Truly would be happy with this if this were all I had. Tremendously good tracking, among the best at IGD I’ve heard, detailed but smooth top end without being harsh or brittle at all, and a nice round low end that sits appropriately. It just sounds like a record! I’m psyched on it.
Which alignment are you using with the VM95ML? Is it the Pioneer standard?

from someone's junk pile...

AMxfJqv.jpeg

A three day weekend in the US created the opportunity for a change. I've had a Hana ML retipped by VAS on the shelf for a while. Today, I decided today to mount it on the PLX-1000 and switch that turntable to the main rig. In the office rig, I put the Traveler/Hana SL in with a newer purchase: a Bryston TF-2 step-up transformer. The results were not exactly what I was expecting.

The PLX-1000/ML combo sounded almost as good as the Traveler/SL in the main rig. I fiddled with VTA and stylus pressure until I could get the best sound. But out-of-the-box, the ML did not sound quite as good as the Traveler/SL. Highs and center focus were a hair less present. Expected the ML to sound clearly better; the SL was also re-tipped by VAS. With the head shell I used, I could not align the ML using a GeoDisc. I had to go with the Pioneer "54 mm" alignment, which possibly impacted performance. My Nagaoka cartridge clearly benefited from GeoDisc alignment. No doubt the ML needs more run-in to reach its potential, so no final judgements yet.

On the office rig, adding the TF-2 ahead of the MM phono got me the same sound I enjoy with the Bryston BP-1.5 in my main rig (which I had hoped for). The SUT delivered the goods, as it should have for what it costs.

@HiFi Guy @AnthonyI @Slimwhit33 @DJSJ @Rip_City - Have any of you current or past PLX-1000 owners experienced a cartridge that "maxed-out" the capabilities of the table to keep up? I keep hoping that's urban legend, but now I have doubts.
Mounted the Hana ML on the second Traveler - a much more fair fight! Now, the ML sounds at least as good as the SL. I’m getting more detail from the ML than from the SL, depending on where I set VTF. The ML is indeed even more setup sensitive than the SL, in my opinion.

I need to run the ML for at least 50 hours before I can really compare. I can say the change of table (and alignment) has brought out more of the quality of the ML, without a doubt.

Mounted the Hana ML on the second Traveler - a much more fair fight! Now, the ML sounds at least as good as the SL. I’m getting more detail from the ML than from the SL, depending on where I set VTF. The ML is indeed even more setup sensitive than the SL, in my opinion.

I need to run the ML for at least 50 hours before I can really compare. I can say the change of table (and alignment) has brought out more of the quality of the ML, without a doubt.
The SL is still one of my all time favorite carts, I've never owned the ML and most that I know have owned one or the other, so my interest lies in your opinion of if the ML is "worth" the extra scratch. I know the ML is "Better", but I think you get my question :)

The SL is still one of my all time favorite carts, I've never owned the ML and most that I know have owned one or the other, so my interest lies in your opinion of if the ML is "worth" the extra scratch. I know the ML is "Better", but I think you get my question :)
In my set-ups with my turntables, the answer is no. It's possible that with a higher-end turntable, or a "higher resolution" system, or with more precise set-up that the differences could be more dramatic. When I have to replace the ML, it's likely to be replaced with a SL.

I was originally looking for a second SL when the ML became available at a big discount, so I did not purchase the ML at MSRP.

As stupid as it sounds, the only reason I would jump at a Hana ML from my current SL bliss is the oh-so convenient handling of a threaded cartridge body. I know it's a common design that's not a specific to the SL, but those tiny nuts drive me nuts. Almost worth the extra scratch just to never handle them again.

I am thinking the EL may be my next cart for the StudioDeck. Honestly a little more than I’d like to spend on a cart for my second system, but all accounts with that MoFi/Hana combo, think I have to give it a try.

I am thinking the EL may be my next cart for the StudioDeck. Honestly a little more than I’d like to spend on a cart for my second system, but all accounts with that MoFi/Hana combo, think I have to give it a try.
I'm not running a Hana, but the SAE is apparently a pretty close relative, and I love it.

PSA - Much like coming to the realization that the Technics "jig" is the best way to align a cartridge for this table, you may want to try the mirror set up with the SAE. For whatever reason, I was looking at the SAE paperwork and it mentioned the reflection method to achieve proper alignment. Having a small mirror I decided to give it a check and boy was it way off.

I usually use a small bubble level on the head shell to check alignment with the arm in the down position in the cradle.
Here is the SAE once aligned using the mirror -
20230308_181518.jpg

Here's what the bubble level shows once it's aligned with the mirror method -
20230308_181451.jpg

Not sure what's at play exactly, makes me question how it's effecting the sound on past carts. With the SAE aligned with the mirror there is an obvious difference in sound.

Here is the SAE blurb:
1678321791008.png

PSA - Much like coming to the realization that the Technics "jig" is the best way to align a cartridge for this table, you may want to try the mirror set up with the SAE. For whatever reason, I was looking at the SAE paperwork and it mentioned the reflection method to achieve proper alignment. Having a small mirror I decided to give it a check and boy was it way off.

I usually use a small bubble level on the head shell to check alignment with the arm in the down position in the cradle.
Here is the SAE once aligned using the mirror -
View attachment 169028

Here's what the bubble level shows once it's aligned with the mirror method -
View attachment 169030

Not sure what's at play exactly, makes me question how it's effecting the sound on past carts. With the SAE aligned with the mirror there is an obvious difference in sound.

Here is the SAE blurb:
View attachment 169031
Weird. Mine has no inflection in the mirror when the headshell is level. Are your screws tightened evenly?

Weird. Mine has no inflection in the mirror when the headshell is level. Are your screws tightened evenly?
It is weird, but I did check the screws and everything else just to make sure something wasn't out of whack somewhere. You're checking the head shell while in the cradle in the same spot I am, if I remember correctly?

It is weird, but I did check the screws and everything else just to make sure something wasn't out of whack somewhere. You're checking the head shell while in the cradle in the same spot I am, if I remember correctly?
Yes. But remember when you lent me your Otello to check out? The azimuth was wacky with your headshell on my arm. I’ve always wondered why that was.

Yes. But remember when you lent me your Otello to check out? The azimuth was wacky with your headshell on my arm. I’ve always wondered why that was.
Valid, I'll have to poke around and see if I can figure out what the issue is/was, but the mirror method at least gets the cart aligned properly while I try and figure it out, more out of curiosity at this point than anything else. If the mirror works, I'm not gonna sweat it.

Valid, I'll have to poke around and see if I can figure out what the issue is/was, but the mirror method at least gets the cart aligned properly while I try and figure it out, more out of curiosity at this point than anything else. If the mirror works, I'm not gonna sweat it.
Both the level and the mirror reflection of the line on the front of the cartridge body assume the same thing- that the diamond is mounted perpendicular in the cantilever and that the cantilever is mounted correctly to the suspension.

I can tell you that the SAE has superior channel separation to the Grado. I can hear it. It’s obvious. This tells me it’s constructed correctly. I also saw at SHF that my retip guy bought some of the SAEs and channel separation had his meter pegged to the right- so somewhere north of 40dB. You can’t match that for less than $2k in a currently produced cartridge that I am aware of.

Back