Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Finally got around to installing the SAE. Only a few hours in and very happy with what I'm hearing. Previous cartridge was the Mofi Studiotracker, which is their entry level cart, so the difference is pretty significant (to my ears). Again, can't thank you enough sir @kvetcha for selling me the cartridge!

IMG_2576 by c c, on Flickr
I'm really glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for giving it a home.

I've been listening to vinyl "on-the-cheap" lately using bargain basement phono cartridges. My current favorite in the Grado Prestige Green 3 shown here. Had a bit of trouble with the original cheap headshell wires and had to upgrade them. Other than that, it's a bargain and has bass galore, nice midrange and rolled off highs which is nice for my old ears.

PS - None of that "Grado hum" either, turntable has a DC motor. (y)

IMG_5523.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been listening to vinyl "on-the-cheap" lately using bargain basement phono cartridges. My current favorite in the Grado Prestige Green 3 shown here. Had a bit of trouble with the original cheap headshell wires and had to upgrade them. Other than that, it's a bargain and has bass galore, nice midrange and rolled of highs which is nice for my old ears.

PS - None of that "Grado hum" either, turntable has a DC motor. (y)

View attachment 161258
Just bought one of these in P-mount from @mucusoffmybrain! Looking forward to trying it out on my wife's lil Technics linear tracker once her AT stylus starts to wear.

Goldring E3 is flat outta gas, so I tossed my VPI/Grado Green w/ 8MZ stylus on the PLX-1000 in the interim. Man. Nothing like the low end of a Grado!! And honestly, I think the top end translates better on the Pioneer than it did on the VPI. It's an excellent shot of smooth for the quick direct drive presentation.

Goldring E3 is flat outta gas, so I tossed my VPI/Grado Green w/ 8MZ stylus on the PLX-1000 in the interim. Man. Nothing like the low end of a Grado!! And honestly, I think the top end translates better on the Pioneer than it did on the VPI. It's an excellent shot of smooth for the quick direct drive presentation.
I have a Goldring E3 in my rotation which I was really enjoying but I think the stylus is shot. I've got a replacement but haven't installed it yet. Too busy enjoying the Grado Green at the moment. :cool:

Since my studiodeck is down…I’m running with my atlp120 for awhile

Which would be best to install on it…grado bronze or sae mega deal ?;)

Hey all! About time for a new cart for my PLX-1000. Been hankering to try an AT-VM95ML, and haven't been so keen on the stock Pioneer headshell. Seeing an eBay seller in Canada who's selling one mounted to a Jelco HS-50 for $212. Not a tremendous deal, but kills two birds. I have seen the HS-25 around, but never the HS-50. What are the differences? Assuming @HiFi Guy and @AnthonyI can weigh in here! Thanks!

Hey all! About time for a new cart for my PLX-1000. Been hankering to try an AT-VM95ML, and haven't been so keen on the stock Pioneer headshell. Seeing an eBay seller in Canada who's selling one mounted to a Jelco HS-50 for $212. Not a tremendous deal, but kills two birds. I have seen the HS-25 around, but never the HS-50. What are the differences? Assuming @HiFi Guy and @AnthonyI can weigh in here! Thanks!
I liked my Jelco with the Pioneer. I prefer the Technics shell with the Technics. No need to buy one. I’ll give you a Jelco. DM your deets.

Ya, gotta agree with @HiFi Guy on the Jelco...................that @HiFi Guy is one generous dude ;)

I had been thinking of getting the Ortofon 2M Blue stylus for my 2M Red as an upgrade, but I can get the AT-VM95ML for about the same price.
Which would actually be an upgrade for me?

This is going on what I am sure is a 20+ year old Pro-Ject Debut turntable.

I had been thinking of getting the Ortofon 2M Blue stylus for my 2M Red as an upgrade, but I can get the AT-VM95ML for about the same price.

The 2M Blue has the advantage of being dead simple to install vs mounting, aligning and calibrating a new cart. That said, I have not heard them head to head.

I've done the exact same thing before. Easy to swap the stylus. Results were a mixed bag. Went from the grainy and poor tracking Red, to the sterile sounding and good tracking Blue. Ultimately I moved on from the 2M line. Lately I've been into the Grado Prestige line (see my previous post). Good luck and happy listening! :cool:

After the re-tipping of a Sumiko Talisman A, I decided that I wasn't going to chase down the latest greatest (no hard promises here!).
The Sumiko was preferred over an AT OC9XSL, which pretty much sealed the deal.
Here's the latest addition and after a day, it's a keeper!

1672377552592.png

I'm pretty sure vintage type carts from the 'golden age' of vinyl are just as good as todays carts especially once you get them re-tipped. The MC 20 Super has a Fritz Geiger 2 done at VAS. It is detailed, has the highs and lows. Maybe missing some of the dynamic punch of the Sumiko, but not by much.
I also have a Dynavector Karat 23R on the way, but I don't know if that can be salvaged.
Fingers crossed!

After the re-tipping of a Sumiko Talisman A, I decided that I wasn't going to chase down the latest greatest (no hard promises here!).

View attachment 162471

I'm pretty sure vintage type carts from the 'golden age' of vinyl are just as good as todays carts especially once you get them re-tipped. The MC 20 Super has a Fritz Geiger 2 done at VAS. It is detailed, has the highs and lows. Maybe missing some of the dynamic punch of the Sumiko, but not by much.
I also have a Dynavector Karat 23R on the way, but I don't know if that can be salvaged.
Fingers crossed!
VAS rocks!

View attachment 162471

Fingers crossed!
Likely you won’t be able to salvage the Karat. The cantilever is less than 2 mm long.

Back