Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

I'll spare you the insanity I've put myself through the last few days due to alignment and settings, getting old sucks.......................time for a Crosely Suitcase, lol
Yes, getting old does suck. Don’t go the Crosley route though, just hire somebody to set up your arm and cartridge. Problem solved! 😁

I've been through quite a few cartridges over the years and I have no hesitation in stating that the Hana's, by far, are my all time favorite. This of course made even more evident with the latest stylus to hit the grooves.

The Hana SL is fantastic, this EL is just as fantastic if you don't want to spend the extra cash. It tracks exceptionally well just like the SL, beautiful dynamics and separation.............the SL is just more of a good thing. :)

My opinion of course ;)
Hana EL.jpg

I've been through quite a few cartridges over the years and I have no hesitation in stating that the Hana's, by far, are my all time favorite. This of course made even more evident with the latest stylus to hit the grooves.

The Hana SL is fantastic, this EL is just as fantastic if you don't want to spend the extra cash. It tracks exceptionally well just like the SL, beautiful dynamics and separation.............the SL is just more of a good thing. :)
View attachment 143202

What would you say the trade off is with the elliptical stylus? Is there anything that you would say the SL does markedly better? It’s by far and away the best cartridge I’ve had!

What would you say the trade off is with the elliptical stylus? Is there anything that you would say the SL does markedly better? It’s by far and away the best cartridge I’ve had!
Hold that question for about 20 hours and I'll get back to you :)

Out of the box it's besting my Opus3, which it should, but I also want to give it time before making a hard comparison.............which, I'm honestly wanting to flesh out. Is that extra $275 worth it and what does it bring to the party, not sure as of yet. It definitely has the same sound characteristics, which I really liked from the SL.

Hold that question for about 20 hours and I'll get back to you :)

Out of the box it's besting my Opus3, which it should, but I also want to give it time before making a hard comparison.............which, I'm honestly wanting to flesh out. Is that extra $275 worth it and what does it bring to the party, not sure as of yet. It definitely has the same sound characteristics, which I really liked from the SL.

I look forward to your impressions as you move on then! I have an idea of what I expect but I’m very interested to hear if that’s the case lol!

I think I'm feeling that shrillness some were talking about with ortofon in my used 2M blue.. either I need to replace the stylus or just some vocals just always feel.. grainy, or veiled

EDIT: it was just me not remembering how these sounded

Last edited:

My opinion of course ;)
View attachment 143202
They are certainly lookers.

My opinion of course ;)
View attachment 143202
Any initial comps to the Mofi carts? MT specifically.

Any initial comps to the Mofi carts? MT specifically.
Comparing the MT to the SL, I would say the MT is a bit more analytical/clean, I find the SL more relaxed, full bodied and well balanced when it came to detail, warmth and bass response..............I'm going to assume the EL will exhibit the same characteristics, but I'm only like 6 hours in.

The MT is a great cart and a bargain if you got it with your deck, but at that price point I think you could do better, if not for less..............my opinion of course. ;)

Comparing the MT to the SL, I would say the MT is a bit more analytical/clean, I find the SL more relaxed, full bodied and well balanced when it came to detail, warmth and bass response..............I'm going to assume the EL will exhibit the same characteristics, but I'm only like 6 hours in.

The MT is a great cart and a bargain if you got it with your deck, but at that price point I think you could do better, if not for less..............my opinion of course. ;)

Which says a lot about how good the SL is because generally that is not the impression that people get from shiabata styli on other manufacturers cartridges!

Hana has my heart now - my SL is likely the end-game for my main system. Decided to go with a Nagaoka MP-300 instead of a Hana EH for my second system (from a 2M Blue), but I could easily be convinced that the Hana EH would be a better long-term choice. To my ear, there is just something special going on with the Hana line at their respective price points.

With the low output Hana, I'm also looking at transimpedance phono stages to optimize its output long-term. I've already switched to a SUT-fronted phono to get better response with the SL, which has worked out nicely. Yeah, I'm going down another rabbit hole, but at least I feel "finished" with the upgrade to Hana SL.

Excel Corporation has been in the cartridge game for a very long time and I believe the Hana series could prove to be as long-lasting and iconic as the Denon DL103 and its brethren.

Which says a lot about how good the SL is because generally that is not the impression that people get from shiabata styli on other manufacturers cartridges!

Hana has my heart now - my SL is likely the end-game for my main system. Decided to go with a Nagaoka MP-300 instead of a Hana EH for my second system (from a 2M Blue), but I could easily be convinced that the Hana EH would be a better long-term choice. To my ear, there is just something special going on with the Hana line at their respective price points.

With the low output Hana, I'm also looking at transimpedance phono stages to optimize its output long-term. I've already switched to a SUT-fronted phono to get better response with the SL, which has worked out nicely. Yeah, I'm going down another rabbit hole, but at least I feel "finished" with the upgrade to Hana SL.

Excel Corporation has been in the cartridge game for a very long time and I believe the Hana series could prove to be as long-lasting and iconic as the Denon DL103 and its brethren.
Agreed, and as much as I'm leaning towards staying in the more affordable camp, I could see going back to the SL with the EL as a back up at some point, basically going full Hana across the board and calling it a day.

the MT is a bit more analytical/clean
Thanks. I think this is my “issue” with the MT, it’s just missing some of the musicality I prefer. It absolutely does dig deep in the grooves and retrieves a lot, but there are days when my brain couldn’t careless.

I’ll have to research the Hana line more.

Agreed, and as much as I'm leaning towards staying in the more affordable camp, I could see going back to the SL with the EL as a back up at some point, basically going full Hana across the board and calling it a day.

Yeah my long term goal would be dual headshell with an SL and an SL mono. Still who knows when that might be, I’m committed to this turntable as long as it keeps running!

Last edited:
Yeah my long term goal would be dual headshell with an SL and an SL mono. Still who knows when that might be, I’m committed to third turntable as long as it keeps running!
Great minds and all, I can see going EL Backup, SL Stereo/Mono over time..........hearing the EL has really solidified my opinion on the Hana carts.

Back