Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 5
Drive-in Saturday Night - T.Rex, Mick Jagger and Sixties supermodel Twiggy are all referenced in this song about humans forgetting how to have sex.
Play a song that name drops

lfkndf

Scooped- I was just about to put this on!
It was the first thing that popped into my head from the prompt and such a great album!

Day 5
Drive-in Saturday Night - T.Rex, Mick Jagger and Sixties supermodel Twiggy are all referenced in this song about humans forgetting how to have sex.

The Burning Hell – Public Library
20230605_165857.jpg

My second favourite album by The Burning Hell! They very recently did a limited repress, which is great because I wasn't buying vinyl the first time around. This one includes "Men Without Hats" which is "a story about how Mathias fell in love with music via the album Pop Goes The World by the Canadian new wave band Men Without Hats."

Day 6
Brian Eno famously collaborated with David in the late 70s and again in the 90s.
Play a collaboration

Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1, is a collaboration between U2 and Brian Eno as a side project. Eno was a co-writer, so they used the name Passengers to differentiate it from U2's albums.

1686060440856.jpeg

Day 4
Crystal Japan - this instrumental track was originally used in a Japanese commercial in 1980
Play a song used in a commercial

Janis Joplin "Pearl" (1971 CBS; 2016 2x45 MOFI reissue)
Mercedes Benz was used in a commercial, although not without controversy due to the anti-consumerist message of the song.

IMG_0134.JPG

Last edited:
Day 5

Neil Young & Crazy Horse "Rust Never Sleeps" (1979 Reprise; 2016 reissue)
Elvis and John Lydon are name dropped in the lines:
The king is gone but he's not forgotten
This is the story of a Johnny Rotten
-My My Hey Hey (Out of the blue)
and
The king is gone but he's not forgotten (Johnny Rotten, Johnny Rotten)
Is this the story of Johnny Rotten? (Johnny Rotten, Rotten Johnny)

-Hey Hey My My (Into The Black)

IMG_0135.JPG

Last edited:
Day 5

I'm on my time with everyone
I have very bad posture
Sit and drink Pennyroyal Tea
Distill the life that's inside of me
Sit and drink Pennyroyal Tea
I'm anemic royalty
Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld
So I can sigh eternally

Nirvana - In Utero

IMG_5169.jpeg

Day 5

Built to Spill - There is Nothing Wrong with Love

"My stepfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool, I think Lodger rules, I think my stepdad's a fool."

20230606_174837.jpg

Day 5

Built to Spill - There is Nothing Wrong with Love

"My stepfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool, I think Lodger rules, I think my stepdad's a fool."

View attachment 174565
Doug Martch has also covered Bowie a lot throughout his career

Back