Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 7
Footstompin - not sure how David did not get sued for this song when Fame became a #1 in the US.
Play something that reminds you of a different song or artist

Joe Satriani - Is There Love In Space?

Features the song "If I Could Fly" which was supposedly used as the basis of Coldplay's Viva La Vida, and it was at least convincing enough that Coldplay settled the case brought against them by Satriani.

IMG20230608102359.jpg

I have a meeting tonight, but this is what I was planning on playing this afternoon.
The Jam's Town Called Malice vs Iggy Pop's Lust for Life. Though I have listened to both albums extensively for about 40 years, I only noticed the similarity a few years ago when both came up in close proximity during a random playlist.

Not saying they are identical, but definitely sound similar in the intro. And not like Paul was not above 'borrowing' from others (looking at you Start!)

Day 07: Footstompin - Play something that reminds you of a different artist

Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction
View attachment 174632
Dan Bejar’s Destroyer project is very Bowie-esque in his artistry and execution.

Day 08: Golden Years - Play the associated artist from yesterday

David Bowie - Hunky Dory
IMG_3561.jpeg
Most every review of a Destroyer album will name check Bowie at least once.

Day 7 and 8 (really a continuation of day 6)
All of these Jeff Lynne Produced albums during this period… Orbison’s Mystery Girl, Harrison’s Cloud Nine, Lynne’s own Armchair Theater, the new Beatles songs… have a very distinctive sound. The jangly guitars, the forward vocals, you know Lynne was involved and they all at the very least (like here) recall/invoke each other
IMG_1926.jpeg
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

IMG_1927.jpeg
Paul McCartney- Flaming Pie

Day 8
Golden Years
Play the associated song or artist from yesterday

Damn, I love this band, especially their early catalog - Stereophonics - Word Gets Around
Was introduced to them in in 2001, when they supported U2 on the Elevation tour second leg. We were blown away by what we were hearing. Saw them for the first time as headliners about 3 months later at Irving Plaza in NYC in early 2002.

1686263096689.jpeg

Day 7
Footstompin - not sure how David did not get sued for this song when Fame became a #1 in the US.

Day 8
Golden Years

One of the vocalists on this Numero comp sounds a ton like JB.
Eccentric Soul: Deep City Label
IMG_4238.JPGIMG_4240.JPG

Day 7

Noah Wall – Speech Patterns
20230608_185644.jpg

Conceptually more than sonically, this project reminds me of Matthew Herbert and his use of unusual or everyday items to create electronic music. Here, Noah Wall's unusual item is speech, having taken "a bunch of YouTube videos of conversations and speeches, put the audio through Melodyne (an autotune app) and then saved the results as a MIDI document. From there he spread the data out to various MIDI instruments to play back the pitch conversions of the sourced talk. The material is stretched out, looped, and manipulated in various ways to achieve a true polyphony that belies its monophonic origins."

Day 8
Golden Years

Matthew Herbert x London Contemporary Orchestra – The Horse
20230608_185715.jpg

I'm so bloody pumped this showed up today - not only because it allowed me to thread these two albums together for the challenge, but also because I was so floored when I first (second, and third) streamed this upon release two weeks ago that I've been looking very forward to spinning it - it's quite a journey!

The project started with a search for the largest possible animal skeleton to explore sonically. More than a raw sound source, the horse skeleton Herbert acquired soon revealed different angles of inspiration. One of the major narrative arcs through the album is its representation of the evolution of human music itself, opening in a compelling, primitive flurry of custom-made flutes from the horse’s thigh bones and bows crafted from ribs and horse hair. By the mid-section you can hear a ritualistic twang of raw string (from a gut string stretched over the pelvis) give way to sustained compositional suites before crescendoing in a fierce electronic-acoustic fusion as grandiose as it is propulsive. The musical range covered on the album speaks to Herbert’s extensive experience across electronic, contemporary classical and jazz - a daring and constantly compelling collection of compositions.

Day 8
Golden Years

Paul McCartney "McCartney" (1970 Apple; 1975 Japan reissue)
I can't play the actual song or artist associated with the artist from yesterday, so I'm going to stretch this one and play an artist associated in some way with the one from yesterday - McCartney collaborated on several occasions with Elvis Costello, writing several tracks for each other.

IMG_0140.JPG

Last edited:
Back