Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 30
Ziggy Stardust “retired” on July 3rd 1973 (damn so close to June 30), famously captured by documentarian D.A. Pennebaker.
Play an artist who is somehow connected to a documentary. Or play something that seemed like the end but wasn’t.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit – Live From The Ryman
20230630_093021.jpg

Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires and The 400 Unit all featured very heavily in the very excellent HBO Music Box documentary Jason Isbell: Running With Our Eyes Closed

Time to play a little of the backlog.

My personal sub-challenge for the month, between backlog and new-ins was all first spins. Made for a goodly dent in the backlog pile (though I've been doing my best to fill the pile back up too!)

Super fun month @jamieanderson1968 - I had a blast, and a pretty diverse bunch of spins too!

chart (50).png

*Day 7: a3390304768_10 (1).jpg *Day 22: a2150977982_10.jpg

Day 26
Velvet Underground - David received a promo copy of the first VU album in 1966 and quickly added “I’m Waiting for the Man” to his live repertoire, even recording it as an unreleased single. This and later “White Light/White Heat” were played at least once over every subsequent tour until 2004.
Play a cover

One of my all-time favorite covers is on this comp - PM Dawn doing You Got Me Floatin'
This whole album is really really good; for those who are fans of these kinds of compilations, I highly recommend it.

IMG_4467.JPG

Day 27
Warren Peace (War and Peace) was the stage name of Geoff MacCormack, a long time friend of David’s and collaborator with him in the 70s.
Play a pun AND a literary allusion

The album title is somewhat of a pun and Flight of Icarus covers the literary allusion.

IMG_4468.JPG

Day 26
Velvet Underground - David received a promo copy of the first VU album in 1966 and quickly added “I’m Waiting for the Man” to his live repertoire, even recording it as an unreleased single. This and later “White Light/White Heat” were played at least once over every subsequent tour until 2004.
Play a cover

One of my all-time favorite covers is on this comp - PM Dawn doing You Got Me Floatin'
This whole album is really really good; for those who are fans of these kinds of compilations, I highly recommend it.

View attachment 176501

I used to play the heck out of this on CD way back when... I should look into getting a vinyl copy at some point.

Day 30: Ziggy Stardust “retired” on July 3rd 1973 (damn so close to June 30) - Play an artist who is somehow connected to a documentary

A Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes And Life
IMG_4170.jpeg
Michael Rapaport’s 2011 directorial debut was the documentary album about ATCQ, tackling the contentious yet loving relationship between these two visionaries and life long friends Q-Tip and Phife Dawg. The documentary reignited my love for the group, I hadn’t spent much time with Tribe since becoming an adult.

Day 30
Ziggy Stardust “retired” on July 3rd 1973 (damn so close to June 30), famously captured by documentarian D.A. Pennebaker.
Play an artist who is somehow connected to a documentary. Or play something that seemed like the end but wasn’t.

LCD Soundsystem "This Is Happening" (2010 DFA; 2017 reissue)
This was supposed to be the last album, but it wasn't.

IMG_0180.JPG

Back