Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 23
Teenage Wildlife from Scary Monsters was seen as a put down of the many Bowie wannabies and “new wave boys.” But it is also directed to a younger self or younger sibling.
Play something that a “younger” version of you would be surprised by.

Younger me would be surprised to learn that Keef was not only alive, but still touring.

IMG_4457.JPG

Day 24
Under Pressure. Pressure makes diamonds (according to Wikipedia).
Play something hard

My wife confessed a couple years ago that she just doesn't like Elvis Costello's voice, like, at all. This is hard for her to get through.
(So I only played side one.)
Also, Pete Thomas hits the snare so hard.

IMG_4459.JPG

Day 19
Quicksand from Hunky Dory has more ideas crammed into the song than a first year university intro to philosophy course.
Play something deep
1000004464.jpg
The Imaginary Visions "Texas Rumble" not just regular funk, DEEP funk or so the record label would have you believe...ok I listened, it's indeed Deep Funk, no false advertising here!

Day 20
June 20 1969, David records the song Space Oddity. It only reached #5 in the UK charts in 1969, but went to #1 in the UK when re-released in 1975.
Play a song or album that got a “2nd life”
1000004466.jpg
The Pixies "Surfer Rosa" - Hey it's that song from Fight Club! Whatever Fight Club is...I thought I'd feature the back of the album as the cover is NSFW! I think I heard The Pixies on college radio way back and probably paid them little mind until Kurt Cobain talked about them and a bunch of my friends couldn't stop playing them, I guess they had a moment then but it probably wasn't until Where is My Mind was in Fight Club that they really got a second life! Shout out to Pump Up the Volume for trying to make Wave of Mutilation UK Surf Mix a thing, it worked on me although the original is far superior IMHO

Day 25
June 25, 2004 - Last performance of the Reality tour and last full Bowie concert ever, retiring completely from live performing in 2006.
Play something that is “last”

Zachary Cale - Duskland
This last on my shelf. (but not in Discogs, because I have an unplayable copy of Eliminator logged in.)
It's ok...this might go in the less-played stash in the window seat cupboard.

IMG_4460 2.JPG

Day 21
Nicholas Roeg directed David in his first movie, The Man Who Fell To Earth, in 1975, but did not want David to record the soundtrack.
Play a soundtrack or a song featured in a movie
1000004467.jpg
New Jersey Drive Vol. 1 OST - I 100% bought this for the Outkast song Benz or Beamer and I think I own Vol. 2 as well...which I remember being better than this...With the exception of that Outkast song, that's just a fucking banger! I'm pretty sure I never saw this movie or know what it's about, I think it's about carjacking? Anyways, enjoy this:

Day 21
Nicholas Roeg directed David in his first movie, The Man Who Fell To Earth, in 1975, but did not want David to record the soundtrack.
Play a soundtrack or a song featured in a movie
View attachment 176455
New Jersey Drive Vol. 1 OST - I 100% bought this for the Outkast song Benz or Beamer and I think I own Vol. 2 as well...which I remember being better than this...With the exception of that Outkast song, that's just a fucking banger! I'm pretty sure I never saw this movie or know what it's about, I think it's about carjacking? Anyways, enjoy this:

Vol. 2 was 🔥🔥🔥
(it's been at least twenty years since I've listened though)

The movie was okay.

Day 30
Ziggy Stardust “retired” on July 3rd 1973 (damn so close to June 30), famously captured by documentarian D.A. Pennebaker.
Play an artist who is somehow connected to a documentary. Or play something that seemed like the end but wasn’t.

Good times @jamieanderson1968

In 1990 Bowie staged a tour that was billed as the last time he'd play his back catalogue. I went to a couple of those shows. They were great. They were also completely false.

Here's another final show that turned out to be false. Since this is a film clue, gonna go with a concert DVD.

While this wasn't really a final goodbye, they did play a 64 song setlist so there was no fakery going on...

Guided By Voices - The Electrifying Conclusion

20230630_012729.jpg

Day 30
Ziggy Stardust “retired” on July 3rd 1973 (damn so close to June 30), famously captured by documentarian D.A. Pennebaker.
Play an artist who is somehow connected to a documentary. Or play something that seemed like the end but wasn’t.

Good times @jamieanderson1968

In 1990 Bowie staged a tour that was billed as the last time he'd play his back catalogue. I went to a couple of those shows. They were great. They were also completely false.

Here's another final show that turned out to be false. Since this is a film clue, gonna go with a concert DVD.

While this wasn't really a final goodbye, they did play a 64 song setlist so there was no fakery going on...

Guided By Voices - The Electrifying Conclusion

I'mView attachment 176466

I woke up to an email about their stop in Atlanta in October on this mini tour. Going to have to try and convince the wife to go to this one.

Day 30

When this and Orange Twin Field Recordings, Vol. 1 came out in 2001, I thought we'd seen the last of Jeff. Several years later he popped up at a handful of Elephant Six Orchestra shows as a secret guest. Then came a Neutral Milk Hotel reunion tour and then a second one. No new music, but it at least wasn't the end of Jeff.

Jeff Mangum - Live at Jittery Joes
IMG20230630110023.jpg

Day 30

Built to Last was the last Grateful Dead studio album, but there was a lot of post-Jerry activity that led to almost exactly 8 years ago when I trekked up to Santa Clara for the first two "Fare The Well" shows. This year Dead & Co are on their "Final" tour. I'm sure there will be activity post Final tour, just in different configurations. And I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Grateful Dead ~ Built to Last

1688139757022.png

1688139780957.png

Back