Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 27
Warren Peace (War and Peace) was the stage name of Geoff MacCormack, a long time friend of David’s and collaborator with him in the 70s.
Play a pun or a literary allusion

No shortage of literary allusions in Dylan's work. Besides the title characters in this song coming from Alice In Wonderland, you've also got this line:

Well, they're going to the country, they're gonna retire
They're taking a streetcar named desire

Bob Dylan ~ Love & Theft

1687884564717.png

Day 19
Quicksand from Hunky Dory has more ideas crammed into the song than a first year university intro to philosophy course.
Play something deep

So many ideas thrown in here

mundo livre s/a - guentando a ôia

View attachment 176247

Have you listened to these guys @avecigrec?

Can't say I've heard of them before, but it's on the list now!

Day 28
There is no X related Bowie fact, so FREE PLAY!!

Au contraire mon frère.

There's an episode of The X-Files called 'Scary Monsters' whose central character is a boy named Tommy and concludes with a scene paying homage to the TV scene in 'The Man Who Fell To Earth".

I already played Scary Monsters this month, but I'll stick with something that has a TV tie-in - Bowie covered by Jessica Lange in American Horror Story: Freak Show...

David Bowie - Live Santa Monica '72

20230628_001545.jpg

Day 27
Warren Peace (War and Peace) was the stage name of Geoff MacCormack, a long time friend of David’s and collaborator with him in the 70s.
Play a pun or a literary allusion

I wanted to be more imaginative, but I've also been wanting to spin this remix again lately.

Pink Floyd - Animals 2018 Remix
IMG20230628112107.jpg

Day 26: Velvet Underground - Play a cover

The Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees
IMG_4142.jpeg
So first I was gonna play a Bowie cover but I don’t own The Godzilla soundtrack so I couldn’t play The Wallflowers cover of “Heroes” and I think Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged cover of “The Man Who Sold The World” (which was my first exposure to that particular song) would be something that others might wanna play. Then I thought about doing a Velvet Underground cover (because lord knows I have a good amount of those strewn throughout my collection) but then I saw saw @imtheocean post Flaming Lips which made me almost break out my RSD 7” on pink vinyl of Mastodon covering “A Spoonful Weighs A Ton” but this morning I wasn’t ready for the heavy stuff and saw @Turbo posted a Sade cover and Beachwood Sparks does a beautiful Byrds-esque rendition of “By Your Side” so that’s what I finally settled on.

Day 26
Velvet Underground - David received a promo copy of the first VU album in 1966 and quickly added “I’m Waiting for the Man” to his live repertoire, even recording it as an unreleased single. This and later “White Light/White Heat” were played at least once over every subsequent tour until 2004.
Play a cover

Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There

An album with multiple covers from a band with a history of great covers.

Screenshot_20230628_100247_Poweramp.jpg

Day 28
There is no X related Bowie fact, so FREE PLAY!!

Hit random and come up with this. Would love to see Richard's early albums get nice vinyl pressings. Another album that was only released on cd way back last century. Great backing band including Dave Schram, John McEntire and Dave Grubbs amongst others.
Richard Buckner - Since
IMG_1670.jpg

Back