Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 17
Oh! You Pretty Things had its first live performance at Glastonbury Fayre on June 23 1971.
Play something “live”

Day 18
Prettiest Star - Marc Bolan played guitar on the earliest version of this Bowie song in 1970.
Play a song with a “guest” on it

Falling behind, and leaving town on Saturday, but I want to finish this one somehow....so here's a two-fer.
So great.

IMG_4330.JPG

Day 20
June 20 1969, David records the song Space Oddity. It only reached #5 in the UK charts in 1969, but went to #1 in the UK when re-released in 1975.
Play a song or album that got a “2nd life”

I'm going 3 lives.

This one had an awesome first life...

...and enjoyed a spectacularly different second life only a year later...

...and enjoyed a well-deserved third life with a new generation two decades on...

The Beatles wrote it, but Joe totally owned it...

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

20211106_005730.jpg

Day 21
Nicholas Roeg directed David in his first movie, The Man Who Fell To Earth, in 1975, but did not want David to record the soundtrack.
Play a soundtrack or a song featured in a movie

Bowie spoke a universal, spectral language...

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

View attachment 175664

Great choice

Day 20
June 20 1969, David records the song Space Oddity. It only reached #5 in the UK charts in 1969, but went to #1 in the UK when re-released in 1975.

An excellent movie in its own right, it gave second life to just about every song on the soundtrack, including Bowie's Moonage Daydream. James Gunn knows how to pick 'em.

Various Artists ~ Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1

1687361293980.png

Day 20

An excellent movie in its own right, it gave second life to just about every song on the soundtrack, including Bowie's Moonage Daydream. James Gunn knows how to pick 'em.

Various Artists ~ Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1

View attachment 175687

I just saw volume 3 this last weekend and was impressed by the inclusion of The The, Replacements, X, and early Faith No More

Day 18: Prettiest Star - Play a song with a “guest” on it

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
IMG_3913.jpeg

The first collaboration that came to mind was the Nicks/Petty barn burner “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”. She would also guest on the Hard Promises track, “Insider” both songs are fantastic and make me wish they had released an entire album together.

Iggy Pop "Lust For Life" (1977 RCA; 2020 reissue)
"Lust For Life" is another Bowie composition that enjoyed a second life when featured in "Trainspotting".

IMG_0159.JPG

Day 20: June 20 1969 - Play a song or album that got a “2nd life”

Pavement - “Spit On A Stranger” 12 inch
IMG_3915.jpeg

According to Spotify the most streamed song in Pavement’s excellent back catalogue is not “Cut Your Hair”, the only song by the band to ever chart (reaching to top 10 on the Alternative rock charts in March of 1994). No, that honor goes to a non album B-side to the first single off their final album Terror Twilight. It’s not even close really with “Harness Your Hopes” receiving almost three times as many plays as their next most popular tune, “Cut Your Hair”. The wildest part is there isn’t even a good reason for a recent rise in the song’s popularity other than a change to Spotify’s algorithm causing the song to be suggested more often than any other Pavement track. It eventually would add to its popularity via TikTok. The resulting increased attention would allow Matador the chance to capitalize on the songs new found popularity by cutting a music video are releasing the “Spit On A Stranger” 12 inch single.

Back