Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

This is my first time listening to this show. I held off for a long time because I was worried it would plunge me into a Guided By Voices rabbit hole again, and it's definitely awakening that itch again after many years. No surprise for me, but I did love seeing them live far more than any album. This show brings back some amazing memories of the one time I got to catch them many moons ago.
Rock on Rock Soldier!!!

Day 18
Prettiest Star - Marc Bolan played guitar on the earliest version of this Bowie song in 1970.
Play a song with a “guest” on
it

Going with the CD because this isn't on vinyl. The song Perfect Day has Elton John as a guest.

Collective Soul - Blender

View attachment 175599

Whoa, is that really the band on that cover? They look kinda different from when they played Woodstock ‘94

Whoa, is that really the band on that cover? They look kinda different from when they played Woodstock ‘94
Yeah, this came out in 2000 and the label pushed them in a strange direction. It's a very weak album, but has two semi-good tracks on it. One of the worst in their catalog though.

Day 19
Quicksand from Hunky Dory has more ideas crammed into the song than a first year university intro to philosophy course.
Play something deep

Jarvis Cocker "Further Complications" (2009 Rough Trade; 2020 reissue)
Jarvis sings "I Never Said I Was Deep"... to me one of the deepest philosophical thoughts is the self-awareness of one's limits, especially to one's knowledge. This is not something that everybody comprehends... one of my favorite quotes (I don't know where this comes from) is "Half of the population is smarter than the average and the other half think they are".

I never said I was deep, but I am profoundly shallow
My lack of knowledge is vast, and my horizons are narrow
I never said I was big, I never said that I was clever
And if you're waiting to find what's going on in my mind, you could be waiting forever
Forever and ever

IMG_0158.JPG

Day 19
Quicksand from Hunky Dory has more ideas crammed into the song than a first year university intro to philosophy course.
Play something deep

Janaka Stucky - Ascend Ascend
View attachment 175603
@avecigrec did you get yours yet? I'm really liking it but also it's a gorgeous package imo.

Not yet, but I did get dinged by DHL for taxes and a service fee that was over three times the taxes collected!
(I actually thought that DHL charges were for my RC Succession record, but this makes more sense)

Day 20
June 20 1969, David records the song Space Oddity. It only reached #5 in the UK charts in 1969, but went to #1 in the UK when re-released in 1975.
Play a song or album that got a “2nd life”

Leggat – Illuminations
20230620_123245.jpg

This mostly forgotten Canadian prog/hard rock outfit only released one album back in 1982 (though its members had been involved in the Canadian rock scene since the sixties.) Lead track "White Flags" received a second life three years later when Blue Öyster Cult covered it to kick off their (much maligned, but frankly quite awesome) album Club Ninja.

I only learned last fall that "White Flags" was originally by these guys and immediately set out to get myself a copy of this album, which I was able to quite cheaply - my initial copy had a very water-warped cover, but the vinyl had remained unscathed. However, I found this promo copy, still sealed, when my wife and I went to Vancouver to see Jason Isbell so I scooped it up and passed the other one along to a co-worker.

Day 19
Play something deep

Janaka Stucky - Ascend Ascend
View attachment 175603
@avecigrec did you get yours yet? I'm really liking it but also it's a gorgeous package imo.

All that said, it does indeed look gorgeous!
Not surprised mine hasn't arrived yet. Imagine if it's not here by the end of this week it'll be here early next.

Day 12
Kabbalah - David (in)famously dabbled in the occult in the 70s (don’t do drugs kids).
Play something mystical or related to the occult

These guys are a bit under the radar. Right up the alley of @Enaz Fox and @Hemotep if they're unfamiliar. They jam.

One LP containing 3 long songs. They're right up front with all their evil. It's on their sleeve. No veiled messages here. These guys even got their own custom pentagram thingie spelling out their name. Top-shelf occult cred...

Alastor - Black Magic

View attachment 174975

Took a bit for me to get to it, but I finally streamed this in the car earlier today - it's awesome!

Day 20
Play a song or album that got a “2nd life”

David Bowie - "Heroes" (song) And quite a 2nd life it has had. From peaking at #24 in the UK single charts and not even charting in the US, to being one of the most recognizable songs of the last 45 years.
IMG_1661.jpg

Last edited:
Day 16
June 16, 1962 - David Jones’ first live performance, playing saxophone with the Konrads
Play a “first”

I follow the first concert trend. Although, I truly can't remember if this or SRV was my first. Pretty sure this was Feb of 85...I know I have the stub somewhere.

IMG_4329.JPG

Back