Online Vinyl Deals

So all I have to do is move to the middle of nowhere and I can have more space for records?

*takes notes furiously*
I mean, I live in the middle of nowhere, pay like $900 a month on my mortgage and have a basement and a room just to store records.

Downside: it’s the Midwest.

I mean, I live in the middle of nowhere, pay like $900 a month on my mortgage and have a basement and a room just to store records.

Downside: it’s the Midwest.
If not for rent control I’d probably be double your mortgage for a 500 sq ft apartment in Maine. As it stands I’m at about 1.5x. Which is why I love vinyl deals!

(Trying to keep it on topic-ish)

I’m actually eyeing a move to the Twin Cities at some point in the coming years so maybe I’ll be joining you in the land of engine block heaters.

So all I have to do is move to the middle of nowhere and I can have more space for records?

*takes notes furiously*
I live in Tacoma, a city 200,000+ people, 30 minutes from Seattle, two hours from Portland and I have a 800 sq ft finished basement (and a spare bedroom) and I still struggle for record space.

I live in Tacoma, a city 200,000+ people, 30 minutes from Seattle, two hours from Portland and I have a 800 sq ft finished basement (and a spare bedroom) and I still struggle for record space.
Spare bedroom, eh? When am I moving in?

This reminds me, I need to go sign my lease renewal (with rent increase)…*sobs*

Spare bedroom, eh? When am I moving in?

This reminds me, I need to go sign my lease renewal (with rent increase)…*sobs*
Well, it’s now my primary record room/WFH office. The other spare bedroom my SO uses for her crafting projects. You’d have to live in the basement but don’t worry there is a second turntable, CRT TV hooked up to an original NES, ping pong table and mini fridge down there so you would be entertained, if a little chilly.

The market makes no sense right now. And I’m afraid the nonsense is only going to continue

View attachment 190009
Before COVID there were some affordable condos around Portland and even out in the boonies you could find homes under $250k. Then the pandemic hit and everyone from Boston, Philly and NYC moved up here with their WFH jobs and prices literally doubled. Throw in a thousand refugees/asylum seekers entering the rental market, as well as 1/5 homes in Maine being vacation rentals that sit vacant most of the year, and it’s just a god awful time to be anything but a home owner up here. I love it here but I’ve given up on settling here because it’s just too damn expensive.

Before COVID there were some affordable condos around Portland and even out in the boonies you could find homes under $250k. Then the pandemic hit and everyone from Boston, Philly and NYC moved up here with their WFH jobs and prices literally doubled. Throw in a thousand refugees/asylum seekers entering the rental market, as well as 1/5 homes in Maine being vacation rentals that sit vacant most of the year, and it’s just a god awful time to be anything but a home owner up here. I love it here but I’ve given up on settling here because it’s just too damn expensive.
We got lucky with our house. Bought during the pandemic from a crazy bird lady who said the house spoke to her and it wanted us to live here. A lot of houses in our town went up for sale and I think we were the only people to pay below asking. One house down the road sold for $350k over asking. With the current interest rates we never would have been able to afford our house.

My wife and I love Portland Maine but last time we were there (pre-pandemic) those issues you were talking about were already popping up. Tons of vacation house owners who went up maybe once or twice a year and either rented them out as airbnbs or just left them vacant. We briefly considered moving up there but were surprised at how few affordable options there were to buy.

Back